Get your rigs out - a place to show of your custom build/work in progress PC

S

stupar

I've pinched this idea from AV forums but I think there are enough of us on here who are enthusiasts that we can have our own little thread.

So to kick things of I thought I would start with my work in progress!

The computer itself has been built for a while but I have always wanted a Pintrest inspired Ikea Alex drawer/kitchen worktop made desk and this has finally been achieved using two Alex drawers and a Duropal maple block worktop (and an understanding wife :D)
I still need to finish the cable management tray which will sit underneath and find a suitable chair too.

As for the computer and peripherals, the build consists of the following -

Phanteks eclipse P400s case
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 mobo
intel i3 6100 3.7ghz CPU
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400mhz ram
Cooler Master 550W PSU
Deepcool captain 240 AIO watercooler
Sandisk SSDs
3 x Corsair 120mm fans for exhaust
Shakmods white braided cables

Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM monitor
Corsair K55 RGB keyboard
Wireless optical mouse
Spigen gaming mat with custom G1 Gaming logo

Things on the to do list -

Get a longer display port cable
Find another graphics card after the departure of my GTX680
Acquire an M.2 drive and put the SSDs out to graze
Tweak the RGB lighting within the case
Change the i3 out for a 6600K
Await the arrival of a pair of Edifier R1280T speakers

As we all like photos here's how it currently sits

IMG-20180426-WA0000 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

IMG-20180426-WA0001 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Feel free to show of what you have as I'm sure we would like to see, I certainly know I would. Hopefully it will become a useful place to show progress reports and share hints and tips too!

i7-2600k slight overclock to 4.4ghz on air cooling
16gb ddr3
250gb Samsung Pro SSD (os, programs)
120gb Samsung Pro SSD (lightroom cat/working files, Adobe premiere caches, scratch etc)
StarTech eSATA 4 bay DAS (4x 2tb)
Bluray writer
980ti running an Asus 29" ultra wide
All fans controlled by Aquaero controller, allowing all case and cpu fans to be powered down at low load
Corsair 540 case

Sound is SMSL sd793-ii DAC running Yamaha hs5 monitors.

Phillips Hue led strip just because.

lKxWGAc.jpg

Last edited:
@neil_g that's a nice setup you have there! Ikea trestles per chance?
Liking the use of the Philips Hue too.

Upgrade on the cards anytimesoon or are you still happy with that chips solid performance?

@neil_g that's a nice setup you have there! Ikea trestles per chance?
Liking the use of the Philips Hue too.

Upgrade on the cards anytimesoon or are you still happy with that chips solid performance?
Yup ikea trestles and a wood effect worktop (would like a real wood top but cats..).

Hue is brilliant system to have around the house but a complete money pit! The led strip across the back of the desk is a nice touch.

I've been toying with upgrading but honestly the i7-2600k has been doing great for about 7 years now (this is what I mean when I say spec a machine well and it'll last as well as any other premium platform). I was playing with a Ryzen system today though and was impressed......

Yup ikea trestles and a wood effect worktop (would like a real wood top but cats..).

Hue is brilliant system to have around the house but a complete money pit! The led strip across the back of the desk is a nice touch.

I've been toying with upgrading but honestly the i7-2600k has been doing great for about 7 years now (this is what I mean when I say spec a machine well and it'll last as well as any other premium platform). I was playing with a Ryzen system today though and was impressed......

Yes a cat here means fake wood worktop too :D
Ryzen 2 looks interesting I must admit -multi core performance at an affordable price point.

Thats a nice build, great wee case too!
You can never really go wrong with a black and red colour scheme either

Here is my modest setup

i5 7600K
Geforce 760 OC
32Gb 2400 DDR4
Samsung M2 SSD 120Gb (boot drive)
Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb
3Tb Seagate Disk x 2
Samsung Blu Ray Writer
Dell UP2716D x 2
Apple Wireless mouse & keyboard

image-1.jpg
image-2.jpg

I'm going to build a new system later this year, as I want more cores and I want more silence. I've already ordered a Lian Li V3000WX case for the build, but going to take the rest slowly, measure and plan it properly.

Also my existing waterloop got messed up, I added a silver coil to distilled water which reacted with the nickel coating on the cooling blocks - whilst it still works, it's not looking great..

My existing pc though..

• Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Socket 1151
  • Intel Core I7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8 M Cache, LGA1151) (OC @ 4.7)
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-2800C14D-32GTZ 32GB DDR4 2800 MHz C 14 1.35 V Memory Kit
  • Nvidia Titan X Pascal
  • Corsair SF Series 600 Watt 80 PLUS Gold
  • 2 x 860 EVO 1TB SSDs
From back when I first put it together,
https://danielcook.com/2016/12/03/custom-watercooled-pc/

dsc_1087_28564592504_o.jpg

l1050745_28898900230_o.jpg

l1050770_28564618144_o.jpg

l1050785_28898878760_o.jpg

here it is in situe

l1470904.jpg

l1470905.jpg

l1470914.jpg

the other half of the room

l1470921.jpg

Last edited:
wow
that is one pretty looking case you have there, the night shots in the garden are great

I'm going to build a new system later this year, as I want more cores and I want more silence. I've already ordered a Lian Li V3000WX case for the build, but going to take the rest slowly, measure and plan it properly.

Also my existing waterloop got messed up, I added a silver coil to distilled water which reacted with the nickel coating on the cooling blocks - whilst it still works, it's not looking great..

My existing pc though..

• Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Socket 1151
  • Intel Core I7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8 M Cache, LGA1151) (OC @ 4.7)
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-2800C14D-32GTZ 32GB DDR4 2800 MHz C 14 1.35 V Memory Kit
  • Nvidia Titan X Pascal
  • Corsair SF Series 600 Watt 80 PLUS Gold
  • 2 x 860 EVO 1TB SSDs
From back when I first put it together,
https://danielcook.com/2016/12/03/custom-watercooled-pc/

dsc_1087_28564592504_o.jpg

l1050745_28898900230_o.jpg

l1050770_28564618144_o.jpg

l1050785_28898878760_o.jpg

here it is in situe

l1470904.jpg

l1470905.jpg

l1470914.jpg

the other half of the room

l1470921.jpg

I remember this fondly. Did you not do a link to your build here on TP? I certainly remember seeing your photos in the garden and being in aw of the build.
Will look forward to your next build when it kicks off.

I remember this fondly. Did you not do a link to your build here on TP? I certainly remember seeing your photos in the garden and being in aw of the build.
Will look forward to your next build when it kicks off.

Cheers, I posted on the AVForums rig thread, or OC project log :)

Not sure how fancy I will make it, as it's destined to sit under the desk - but this is the case.

v3000-02.jpg

Cheers, I posted on the AVForums rig thread, or OC project log :)

Not sure how fancy I will make it, as it's destined to sit under the desk - but this is the case.

View attachment 125635

As there is a hint of RGB on the case can we expect to see a hint of RGB in the case

To me that case is to good to be under a desk...... It needs to sit proud on display :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have fancy pictures of my PC`s because they look boring really.

5 total + 1 laptop + 1 ultrabook.

Two custom gaming / editing PC`s I built myself and chanced many times.

1st is :

i7-3770
16gb ddr3
asus pro mobo
128 gb Samsung evo
2tb Seagate barracuda hdd
gtx 980
bluray + dvd readers / writers

2nd is :

i5-7500
8gb ddr4 ( soon to be 16gb )
asus rog gaming mobo
500 gb Samsung evo ssd
gtx 780

Desktop is i7-2600K, 8GB RAM, 15K SAS 146GB drive for the OS, selection of SATA drives for the data, GTX760 graphics. Dell p2715q 4k screen plus 2xDell 2209WA (getting on a bit but still great). IBM Model M keyboard.
Workstation is HP z800 with dual Xeons, 96GB RAM, Nvidia quadro graphics and a 1TB SSD. Two cheap, uninteresting Acer 24" screens. IBM Model M keyboard.
Server is an R710, dual Xeons, 60GB RAM. 2x146GB SAS drives in RAID1 for the OS, 4x2TB SATA drives in RAID5, running ESXi with a variety of VMs (pfSense and three debian on the RAID1 array, Server 2012R2 domain controller and other Windows on the RAID5 array). Very old 14" flat panel screen for use when I need to get into the BIOS settings, normally it's headless.

All cooled with standard fans. The best bits of all that lot are the keyboards!

I really want a pair of Genelec 8010 monitors rather than using my old AV receiver and the remote rear speakers for surround sound that came with an old TV as I am at the moment.

Just completed some upgrades on my editing PC and juggling parts around various PC's in the house. Got a bargain case in Maplins closing down sale so made it a bit more showy than I normally would.

Corsair 460X RGB Case
AsRock Z370 Pro 4 Motherboard
Intel I7-8700 CPU
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz (will double this if/when prices drop a bit)
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 Cooler, Fan has been replaced with a Corsair SP120RGB

And salvaged from the PC it has replaced:
Palit GeForce GTX 960 OC
Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Western Digital Red 3TB
Samsung HD103 1TB
Samsung M9T 2TB 2.5"
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W

Motherboard has two Ultra M.2 Sockets which will be populated in time to replace a couple of the other drives but I'm in no rush to do this as I'm noticing a marked improvement on the I5-2500K system it replaces.

A7R00945.jpg

A7R00942.jpg

A7R00947.jpg

Heres mine,
Some was done in a shop (I didn't have the confidence at the time) but since I have changed the MB and RAM.
THERMALTAKE CORE V31 Case
Gigabyte F2 A88X-D3HP Mobo
AMD AD786K A10 7860K
THERMALTAKE RIING SILENT 12 BLUE CPU Fan
4 x 8 GB Ramm G.Skill (32 GB)
Corsair VS450 PSU
oh and a couple of more blue fans because it gets hot here.
Philips 27E screen
Slapped my old DVD read/writer in.
and a new Cards reader with BT integrated in it.
2.1 Sony speakers that I had from somewhere also.
All works well and just to make some of you lot a bit jealous, Heres a screen shot of my BB speed.
Thanks Free.fr
And I don`t do gaming either lol

GRE_3314 by Graham, on Flickr
16 April 2018 Speed test PM by Graham, on Flickr

Last edited:
When life brings you Unicorns......or in this case (excuse the pun) digital RGB

Spec:

Phanteks Enthoo Primo case
Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7 mobo
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
32gb Teamgroup DDR4 3200mhz ram
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
Seasonic Prime Platinum 750W PSU
Custom watercooling (EK blocks, XSPC pump and reservoir and 480/240mm Alphacool copper 45mm thick radiators)
Samsung SM961 256GB NVME M.2 SSD + 850 Pro 512GB SSD + Crucial M500 240GB SSD
WD Se 4TB + 1TB + Black 1TB mechanical disks
LG Bluray writer
6 x Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans for the radiators + several 120/140mm fans for case airflow
Home made paracord braiding.
Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP + HP LP2475W monitors (Wide gamut)
Ducky Shine 5 RGB keyboard (Cherry mx brown)
Microsoft intellimouse optical

Things on the to do list -

Replace the old ikea desktop with a solid wood worktop
Replace the 1TB mech drives with larger capacities
Replace the ropey EK cpu block with a superior model. (either a watercool heatkiller, xspc raystorm or an EK monoblock)
Make up some new braided cables
Consider replacing one of the monitors with a 27" 1440p equivalent

Much as I'd like to get shots like dan's, mine weighs in at a shade over 25Kg which I'm not planning on lugging out into the garden.
Ryzen Threadripper 1920X by Kyle, on Flickr

Just before I replaced the old GTX 780 and corsair TX650 PSU. Lost most of the DIY braided cables at this point.
KMW_6253 by Kyle, on Flickr

KMW_6442 by Kyle, on Flickr

KMW_6798 by Kyle, on Flickr

Room_02_2018 by Kyle, on Flickr

mccIO37.jpg

Does this count?
No RGB in sight, but plenty of blinken lights!

Top Shelf

Sadly not all visible due to awful mobile photo
  • Intel Atom NUC, hosting demo websites, Git repos, Gitweb, jenkins, irssi etc.
  • Thermostatic Fan controller for top of rack fans
  • RIPE ATLAS probes x2, one for each WAN connection
  • DOCSIS VM modem (the ADSL modem lives elsewhere for now)
Below Shelf
  • TP-LINK 'smart' switch - T1600G-28TS (TL-SG2424) - needs swapping out for something that LACPs properly, maybe a stackable pair of switches - subject to power consumption etc.
  • Continuously on home server, E3-1220L v2 on an Asus P8B-M with 24 GB DDR3L RAM, iKVM for out of band management and an additional Intel Quad Port NIC with all ports passed through to virtualised pfSense. Also runs virtualised Emby for media and Zabbix for monitoring. Provides network storage, DNS, DHCP and a few other bits and bobs. Runs Debian.
  • Backup server, backups by way of ZFS Snapshots. Pentium G520 on an Asus P8B-M with 8GB DDR3L RAM. Also sports an additional quad port NIC. I have another E3-1220L v2 waiting to be installed so that it can serve as a cold spare for running pfSense which will be snapshotted and backedup nightly.
  • Lab Hypervisor - Supermicro X8DTN+-F, 2x L5630 CPUs, 24GB RAM - running Proxmox VE currently
  • APC IP PDU (AP7821) - means the backup jobs can turn backup server on/off and the hypervisor can remotely turned on and off as required as to keep power draw reasonable
  • APC UPS (SMT750RMI2U) with management card (AP9630 NMC)
The idling power consumption of that lot is 65W.

Edit: Larger picture + Description

Last edited:
I like your hifi cabinet! Four M16 threaded bars plus nuts and washers (and ply shelves)? Also, what's on the bottom shelf?
Thanks. You are indeed bang on the money with the design it is indeed M16 too. The bottom shelf has a pair of Harrison Xi150 1u power amplifiers and a bryant 12 way mains distribution unit in between.

The budget way to do watercooling. ( not as good or attractive obviously but still works and is considerably cheaper )

This works with many cheap cases with no watercooling features at all and you can use a huge rad. This case was £39 or something.

You simply drill two holes in the top for the tubes and mount the rad on top and secure with hook and loop to keep it in place.
Use a pump / res combo unit that fits in the front.
Its so easy and never had a leak since started using it in 2013.

talk-2.jpg

talk-3.jpg

talk-4.jpg

Small update for my system -
The Edifier R1280T's arrived early this week. The downside is the wife commandeered them to put away for my Birthday.

So to make up for the slight disappointment I went out and bought a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 which should arrive on Monday along with some nice shakmods white braided cables to power it.

The newest and most powerful GPU I have ever owned so will be looking forward to installing and gaming on it.

My 20 year old Canon computer speakers recently died (well the power supply went bang and they seem suspect with the replacement ps). Been tempted by those speakers due to the combination of twin inputs for my two PCs and the right look. Would be interested in feedback once you've been allowed to use them.

My 20 year old Canon computer speakers recently died (well the power supply went bang and they seem suspect with the replacement ps). Been tempted by those speakers due to the combination of twin inputs for my two PCs and the right look. Would be interested in feedback once you've been allowed to use them.

Come back to me on the 13th of June and I will give you my feedback (y)

Hey mate
Finally been given the Edifier R1280T for my birthday.
The sound is pretty amazing for 4" drivers and the build quality is bang on the money too.

It's a lot of speaker(s) for less than £90

Edifier R1280T by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Great idea! Here's mine I built a few years back. It was this exact build that got me into photography..

..and the inside..

Last edited:
I used to be into this sort of modded type PC but soon gave up as the cost of water blocks etc due to my upgrades soon became unbearable!

My current systems are far more modest now!

- Basic 13” i5 convertible laptop with 8GB ram and 256gb life ssd.
- Microsoft surface pro 2017 with the modest m3 cpu
- HP server with e3-1270v3 (haswell), 32gb ECC, dual power, server 2016 and a whole bunch of drives
- custom gaming system with 4.8ghz 8700k, 32gb of 3200mhz ddr4, some pci-e 512gb storage and a pair of 12GB Titan XPs. All in a standard looking Antec case with air cooling and a miss match of lights!

B4A6B302-8633-4314-9536-14EF6413CF91.jpeg

I’ll have to have a hunt for some of my older systems as I’ve literally had all sorts of modded WC builds.

Great idea! Here's mine I built a few years back. It was this exact build that got me into photography..

..and the inside..

Is that actually part of your build ???? what are the metal bits top left, the pipe bottom left and the cylinder in the centre. If you ask me thats more like a Borg cube you have in your home :)

Is that actually part of your build ???? what are the metal bits top left, the pipe bottom left and the cylinder in the centre. If you ask me thats more like a Borg cube you have in your home :)
It's all watercooled. Top left is the memory (ram), bottom left is 12mm copper pipe I used for the tubing and the cylinder is the reservoir for the cooling liquid.

Doing a few tweaks to mine at the moment.

The i7 7700k is being cracked open (delid) and the intel thermal paste replaced with grizzly conductanaught.

Will overclock to 5ghz.

16gig of ram out and 32gig of ram in.

128gig nvme drive out and 500gig evo 970 nvme drive in for os.

I’ve also set two of my ssd’s in raid 0 for my Lightroom catalogue for speedy with a separate ssd for back up.

Doing a few tweaks to mine at the moment.

The i7 7700k is being cracked open (delid) and the intel thermal paste replaced with grizzly conductanaught.

Will overclock to 5ghz.

16gig of ram out and 32gig of ram in.

128gig nvme drive out and 500gig evo 970 nvme drive in for os.

I’ve also set two of my ssd’s in raid 0 for my Lightroom catalogue for speedy with a separate ssd for back up.
will you be selling any of the stuff coming out ???

Back