Getting a Canon 430EXII flashgun

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, after some guidance it seems like getting a proper flash is a shrewd investment. I've been looking and found one for £169 new, but I was wondering if any of you guys might know of other channels to pick one up cheaper. I messaged Kerso, but it appears only the 580 is available there.

Any ideas?

£169 here

Is that a good price? Anyone know where I could pick up a second hand one?

I have recently bought one as well and £169 was the cheapest I could find.

You could potentially pick one up second hand for cheaper but eBay was the only place I could think and most of those were sold as new and more than £169 when you factor in postage.

For that money you could have a sigma EF 530 DG Super which specwise is very similar to the Canon 580, definately worth considering if you ask me. I can't fault mine!

I have just ordered a 430EX II for £166 from buyacamera.co.uk :)

For that money you could have a sigma EF 530 DG Super which specwise is very similar to the Canon 580, definately worth considering if you ask me. I can't fault mine!

Well, I had heard it was decent, but what are its major advantages over the 430EXII?

I guess it's worth mentioning that having Googled a few comparisons the Canon seems to be favoured for build quality, ease of use, and reliability. The Sigma for its power and features. At least that is what one individual said.

I guess it's worth mentioning that having Googled a few comparisons the Canon seems to be favoured for build quality, ease of use, and reliability. The Sigma for its power and features. At least that is what one individual said.

Would agree with that, the build quality on the sigma certainly isn't BMW standard but it feels solid and everything fits together nicely even the battery cover feels pretty decent and isn't as hard to use as some of the reviews seem to make out.

I'm not saying that the sigma is the only way to go, but if like me you want a good spec flash to use occasionally then for me it was a no brainer. If I was going to be using it continuously in demanding environments then I would probably have gone with a canon model.

Thanks for your input, I think I will probably stick with the Canon (I guess that things that are well built inspire confidence!)

Thanks for your input, I think I will probably stick with the Canon (I guess that things that are well built inspire confidence!)

Might be worth going to a shop and comparing the two before you part with your hard earned money, I believe jessops stock both. The build quality issue I often find to be over exagerated but then I think the build on the nifty fifty is perfectly adequate.

I don't know if Sigma have changed it for the 530, but I had a 500 and found that the high-speed sync option was a little irritating. If the shutter speed dropped too low (below 1/200, I seem to recall), the HSS was automatically cancelled. Using the flash for fill in, for instance, Av mode on a day with bright, deep shadows, it got to be quite a lot of trouble to have to constantly re-engage it.

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, after some guidance it seems like getting a proper flash is a shrewd investment. I've been looking and found one for £169 new, but I was wondering if any of you guys might know of other channels to pick one up cheaper. I messaged Kerso, but it appears only the 580 is available there.

Any ideas?

£169 here

Is that a good price? Anyone know where I could pick up a second hand one?

I dont think this is the 430 EX II, The description & Photos show a 430 EX, and £160 is expensive.

I was bidding on ebay on a 430, but the description read 430 EX II, and photos of the item showed an 430 EX, i realised at last minuite and was outbid, it went for £160 + £8 packaging! (for a 2nd hand 430EX)

You can get a 430EX II from bristol cameras for £169 or £172 off amazon.

so im thinking or ordering from one of those, although am still checking out the sigma flashes aswell

Back