Getting a mac to recognise my camera

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
When I used my laptop I was able to shoot tethered. When I got the mac I wanted to do the same so I downloaded the relevant software from Sony no problem. However, when I connect the camera via usb, the mac doesn't recognise that a camera is there although it does recognise the memory card.

Anyone know if there is anything obvious I am missing?

Have you tried taking the card out of the camera fabs? Sounds silly, but might work! ;)

Edit: Not tried it with a Sony, but works with my Nikons...

Yeah, tried that. It was as if nothing at all was attached to the mac. Cheers anyway.

Have you set the USB interface settings (on the camera) to PTP (picture transfer protocol)

You can then use 'Image Capture' in your Mac's Automator.

Not done this myself so would be interested to hear the outcome.

Yeah, tried that. It was as if nothing at all was attached to the mac. Cheers anyway.

Hmmm. :thinking: I connect mine to the computer, turn on the camera and then fire up the software to get it to recognise it.

Sorry, not got any Sony experience. Good luck getting it sorted! :)

Have you set the USB interface settings (on the camera) to PTP (picture transfer protocol)

You can then use 'Image Capture' in your Mac's Automator.

Not done this myself so would be interested to hear the outcome.

Not used that one before, usually use remote PC. Will give it a try, thanks.

Image Capture recognises the camera but appears to be purely a tool for uploading images from the card rather than tethered shooting. Thanks for the help anyway, at least that's a couple of things ticked off the list. :)

Image Capture recognises the camera but appears to be purely a tool for uploading images from the card rather than tethered shooting. Thanks for the help anyway, at least that's a couple of things ticked off the list. :)

Did you find the Interface setting in your camera's menu? If it wasn't already on PTP it'll have been on 'M'. Not familiar with your camera so can't help with this as such.

Yeah sorry, set tried the camera on remote PC and PTP.

Thanks for the link. It's good to know these things are out there.

Thanks for the link Chappers but I already knew all that, used it on my Windows laptop. Problem now is that my mac doesn't seem to recognise the camera when I try to use the software, it tells me that the camera isn't connected.

Back