Getting a PS3 online

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
First of all not sure if this is the right place, if not could one of the mods put it in the right place?? :thinking:

Anyway, i have been trying to get my ps3 online so i can play some of my games online and make the most out of them. But for some reason it just will not work for me.

I follow all on screen prompts, i followed the instruction book, its picking up the wireles network when you scan for it, i've put the network key in etc then you save the settings and it goes to check connection and the key registration (or something like that) times out. really frustrating, i can't even strat to describe.

Has anyone had this problem, does anyone know how to make it work? :shrug:

Thanks guys, any help appreciated.

oh and my internet is sky broadband, wireless through a rouuter if that helps

Are you running windows?

If so click;

Start -> Run - > type cmd -> in here type 'ipconfig /all' without quotes and it'll display the IP, SN, GW and DNS servers.

Try entering these into the PS3, but change the IP from whatever you get, to a different one eg. 192.168.1.2, set the IP on the PS3 to 192.168.1.50 or something.

If that still doesn't work, try using these as the DNS servers;

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

How many Computers and other things are connected to you router via wireless?? (Sometime rouetrs are overloaded and disconnect new coenctions)

Do you know the router type: a/b/g or b/g or only g?? (I cant remember, so guess if its G router you cant cooenct your PS3!! And thats possible only if your router is 3 or more yrs old)

Finally try changing your wireless encryption from WEP to WAP2 if it is still WEP

Hope this will help

well the router is about 12 to 18 months ol and i only have one other thing connected to it, and that is usually switched off when i i'm on the ps3.
then encryption is wap2.
I thinks its just the fact that me and technology do not get along! lol

ive given in...i am beaten! I got the ethernet cable out and pluggeg it in and dragged everything into the middle of room.... i have a connection lol. Just need to buy a longer cable!

i know.....so frustrating though lol.and the room looks like a mess with a modem and ps3 in the middle of the floor and cables trailing from 3 different locations...oh well

thats just how mine is at the mo, my son has got it in the middle of the front room floor. need a longer cable so i can get him back in his room :D

Well I'm going to take a stab in the dark but I don't have a siemens router...

On your PC, try going to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (just whack it in internet explorer) [or put your IP address in the address bar]

That should take you to a settings page, I'm not sure but you might be able to fiddle with some permission settings there.............................................

Do you mac address filtering enabled on the router??

All network card (wireless or wired) have a mac address which is unique to each device, this is a 12 character alpha numerical string broken down into six pairs like this:

00:ab:12:cd:34:ef

The numbers range from 1 to 9 and the letters from a to f

If you have mac address filtering turned on on your router you will need to get the mac address of the wireless card on your PS3 and enter it into the router to be able to make a connection to the internet.

At the end of the day mac address is a low level layer of security.

Tim

not sure, it a siemans. whatever sky supply when you get their broadband

depends, we joined up a couple of months ago and they supplied a rebranded netgear.

mac filtering is OFF by default.

our sky wireless password is in CAPS its probably case sensitive if that helps..

edit- which reminds me, we had an issue with getting our Wii online at the GF house. turns out the landlords router was issuing funny DNS servers (itself as the primary and the ISP as secondary) so the Wii was passing the connection test but failing the system update. might be worth a look..

Back