Getting back into photography- upgrade advice req!

Edit My Images
Yes
I was a very keen photographer 10-15 years ago. My last camera was a Canon 60d (bought new in 2010) which I’ve recently dusted off and started taking out again. And now I’ve got the photography bug back!

I’m looking at a more recent model - the obvious upgrade would probably the 90d but mirrorless seems to be the new kid on the block.

I have a small selection of lenses (50mm 1.8, 30mm 1.4, 70-300mm and a 18-200mm) which I *think* can be used on the canon mirrorless models with an adaptor.

Would anyone have any advice on which way I should go with an upgrade? I usually shoot city scenes or wildlife so the lightness of the mirrorless seems appealing.

What kind of stuff do you shoot? Are you likely to be shooting the same as what you shot 10 years ago? personally I would use the opportunity to reassess gear. Maybe sell everything and change system or go canon mirrorless with new native glass. Adapters are a bit of a pain especially if its for all your lenses. I sold my nikon gear and went with fujifilm x series with prime lenses. really lovely system, especially for people who shoot for pleasure.

What kind of stuff do you shoot? Are you likely to be shooting the same as what you shot 10 years ago? personally I would use the opportunity to reassess gear. Maybe sell everything and change system or go canon mirrorless with new native glass. Adapters are a bit of a pain especially if its for all your lenses. I sold my nikon gear and went with fujifilm x series with prime lenses. really lovely system, especially for people who shoot for pleasure.
There`s a clue in the ""Last line of his post"" :LOL:

Just had a quick look at lensesforhire to see if they have the Canon mirrorless bodies available. It seems that they do and that the rental covers the adaptor for the Eos lenses as well.

Why not just start using what you have again, but maybe with new batteries. Take the time to look around before deciding what you want next, but enjoy what you already have. A 6D takes some pretty nice photos. The closest to a 6D that I have is a 77D, and I chose it over an 80 D because of the faster processor. Being an old man at 79, I liked it's lighter weight too. Enjoy what you have and move up to something else when you are certain that you will like it. Switching brands of cameras is like buying different cars. Most are good, but which one fits you the best. I have an older Fuji X camera, and although it takes great pics, it just doesn't feel right to me, so I don't use it as much. Find what you like and feels right to you before buying.

Charley

Your 30mm and 18-200 are crop lenses, so if you want to keep them it's 90d or mirrorless M5 or M50II.

If you really want to go mirrorless and embrace new tech though, the R5 or R6 are the cameras to aim for.

The good news though... Canon are currently offering a free 48hr test drive, so you could try each of them in turn and see what you like / or don't.

Last edited:
I know what you’re getting at but have to disagree about adapters I now shoot Canon mirrorless and all my lenses are EF (DSLR)
The Canon R5 and R6 works very well with EF and adaptors
In fact Canon have done such a good job with compatibility that my lenses autofocus better on my mirrorless R5 than they did on my 7D2 DSLR
The adapter just stays on the mirrorless body I don’t notice that it’s there I just swap my various EF lenses onto it

Last edited:
One thing to be said for going for new lenses rather than adapted ones is that some of the new ones are much better than the DSLR age ones, often with higher prices to match though. I have a Sony camera and the lenses are just so much better than the Canon and Sigma lenses I had for my Canon DSLR's. I've no doubt that the same is true for Canon and Nikon too.

I know what you’re getting at but have to disagree about adapters I now shoot Canon mirrorless and all my lenses are EF (DSLR)
The Canon R5 and R6 works very well with EF and adaptors
In fact Canon have done such a good job with compatibility that my lenses autofocus better on my mirrorless R5 than they did on my 7D2 DSLR
The adapter just stays on the mirrorless body I don’t notice that it’s there I just swap my various EF lenses onto it
Plus 1

In addition the mirrorless canons will crop automatically for crop lenses so no need to change lenses.

I have 3 canon mirrorless and haven’t bothered with any new rf lenses.

Back