Getting back to film...

Name
Col
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, hope someone can help, any advice would be very much appreciated.

OK, so i went to college so many years ago now i dont want to admit how long... i studied photography, mainly documentary but loved using the medium format cameras too. Loved the work by milton rogavin to mention one and of course seeing the quality of a medium format camera compared to the 35mm ones i used was such a treat to take them and develop them into prints. Loved the different papers too to add to the texture but thats a whole different thread.

So long story short id like after spending years taking pictures with a nikon digital and my iphone to purchase a medium format camera and enjoy those long walks and the way you change in take pictures with a big heavy camera. Yes im a romantic :)
Ive been looking around for a few prices of a second hand bronica/mamiya etc and the knowledge i had seems to have evaded me. Id like to get one for multi use, portraits and landscapes using the waist finder. So im wondering which lens to buy, body or maybe both at the same time? Budget would be around £250ish, maybe more if there was something nice.

To begin with id probably send the films to process but would also be happy to set up that at home in next few months. For the foreseeable future im not after printing out the images to any size just have contact sheets. Its more about the taking the pictures and having them for when i can set up a darkroom in the future but thats a long way off.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Col

With medium format, the big decision is what format do you want to shoot.

6 x 4.5 - conventional landscape format, 15-16 shots per roll
6 x 6 - square format, 12 shots per roll
6 x 7 - a landscape format (but basically a square with an additional centimetre on one side), 10 shots per roll

£250 should comfortably get you a Bronica ETRS kit, a 6x4.5 SLR which typically comes with a 75mm lens and either a waist level viewfinder or prism. There are large numbers of them on the used market, so have a look around. The Mamiya 645 is another popular camera, typically with an 80mm lens, and most good examples should fall within your budget.

Just to let you know, we have a dedicated film forum (Film & Conventional), which houses all the medium format shooters (as well as 35mm, 110 etc.)

In addition to what FC2 has mentioned, there is also the size and weight of kit that you wish to lugg around.

The ETRS with a WLF and 75mm or wider lens is a comfortable size and weight and of course offers you the chance to carry a spare film back ( small enough to put in a coat pocket) so you can have for instance one colour back and one b&w.
If you put a prism and grip onto that, then imo it starts to become bulky a tad heavy after a few hours of carrying.

As for big, heavy, the Mamiyas tend to come into that spec ...the RZ and RB 67 in partcular.
I have to confess that the Sekor lenses do offer superb results though, hence why i haven't parted with my RZ67
The TLRs like the C330 aren't so light either although I doubt there is much in the way of light with MF!
The Yashica Mat, although 6x6 as against 6x7 format and without changeable film backs, is a nice little number without the size and kgs of some of the other gear......

There are of course many other makes / models but having not owned them ( Rollieflex etc), I'm not in a position to comment of the positives / negatives

@TheBigYin .....Perhaps this thread would receive more response in Film & Conventional ?

There again maybe I'm talkin' out of my "ahem" :confused::D

Well Col we can give lots of advice here but would suggest you spend sometime looking at all the medium format cameras on the net and make a short list of what you like...also think a digi\medium format combo is a good idea for using the digi for general work and relaxing with film.

£250 is a bit on the light side for most SLR-style MF systems, but would get you a great choice in the Twin lens reflex field, probably including a Mamiya C330 which has interchangeable lenses. OTOH if you watch carefully you might get a Bronica SQ sometimes for that sort of money (I dithered over a 2 lens set up from LCE for £299 and someone else snapped it up :( ). Not sure of prices for Mamiya 645s; most of the older ones do not have interchangeable backs, which means using up the film (or two cameras!).

Ffordes have a couple of ETRS kits on their site for £229. Body, back, 75mm lens & prism. I put together an ETRS outfit last year & have been very happy with it. Went for the speed grip with mine in the end as for all the added bulk I thought that it would handle better.

Ffordes have a couple of ETRS kits on their site for £229. Body, back, 75mm lens & prism. I put together an ETRS outfit last year & have been very happy with it. Went for the speed grip with mine in the end as for all the added bulk I thought that it would handle better.

Yes i think it's quite possible to pick up an ETRS 645 in decent nick for the budget mentioned.

I agree about the speed grip offering better handling, even with the WLF and it certainly helps for carrying it!

The one thing that i cannot get on with though is portrait mode .....grip and prism in portrait mode simply sees me with arms tying themselves in knots and if I try portrait with the WLF I find myself moving the camera all over the place as I forget which way to move it to center the image:confused:

I'm sure some folk however, have no bother at all.

I'd suggest that, if possible, the OP visits a shop selling different MF outfits to have a play and see which feels right for him.

RB's go for a bit more than £250, don't they?

Picking one up for around £250 isn't inconceivable, my ProS was £280 but there were cheaper ones around

I must have got lucky. I bought my SQ-A three years ago in good nick, usual kit - WLF, one back, PS 80 f/2.8 lens, all for £180 on flea bay. But yes, for under £250 it's a sellers market so you have to pick up what turns up, rather than quickly pick and choose.

I quite often like to sport a PS 150mm f/4 lens. Nice for portraits, and some street, but a bit long for a lot of stuff - then you might need the 80mm. I also have the S-18 extension, which combined with the 150mm, makes a great close up portrait combination.

The original mamiya m645 system with non removable backs is usually excellent value for money. I've got both a 1000S and a 645J and both have been superb performers. Ffordes have an m645 complete kit with WLF an 80mm f2.8 for £159, which leaves enough for a second lens or a prism finder.

As to lenses, the 55mm f2.8 N, 120mm f4 A and 150mm f2.8 A are all great and don't all cost the earth. The older 45mm f2.8 C is considered poor (77mm thread) and the 35mm seems to have some variability. I seem to have a pretty good copy, but others are not so fortunate. The later 45mm f2.8 N is much better but I've not used one so have no experience.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, a lot to think about clearly. Really appreciate this and will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again!

Welcome,Col.

For your budget and requirement the Bronica is without doubt the best,it is of all the MF systems the best value for money at the moment. With landscapes the WLF is fine,but,portraits difficult,but,the prism finder is not that expense.

The standard lens 75mm is OK,but,look around for the 40mm, 50mm or 60mm PE for your landscapes they are very good indeed and for portrait work the the 105mm E lens is just great and I have seen them go for less than £40.00 on the bay.

Get the ETRSI body the latest and better for flash and such things.

Filters are generally 62mm and cheap as chips.

On e-bay you can find the singles to create your system at much better value than buying complete,all it means is that you wait a little longer,well worth it.

Good luck and welcome again

Hi medwaygreen, thanks for your advice. Id be happy to get singles to get a good camera and happy to wait to get the best bits but fear getting the wrong bits. Tell me if im wrong but id need a body - ETRSI, a film back, lens and waist finder, anything else? How would i know they all fit?

Thanks again!

Awesome! thanks, wouldnt have thought of that Mark.

Just looking at the manual Mark, i cant see any model numbers etc to show what was a bronica lens model from say a mamiya lens model? Sorry if im being stupid here but expected to see for a lens saying the diameter to fit a ETRSI body and that the two match?

Again apologies for any stupidity, just dont want to buy something that doesn't fit.

Just found this one but would it fit an ETRSi body?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZENZA-BRO...138034?hash=item33b140ad72:g:dsYAAOSwUuFWt6i2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZENZA-BRO...138034?hash=item33b140ad72:g:dsYAAOSwUuFWt6i2

This one however says it fits the body

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronica-W...747549?hash=item464646ac9d:g:9igAAOSw~otWcBIV

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at the manual Mark, i cant see any model numbers etc to show what was a bronica lens model from say a mamiya lens model? Sorry if im being stupid here but expected to see for a lens saying the diameter to fit a ETRSI body and that the two match?

Again apologies for any stupidity, just dont want to buy something that doesn't fit.

Just found this one but would it fit an ETRSi body?

This one however says it fits the body
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronica-Waist-level-Finder-E-for-ETR-ETRS-ETRSi-Cameras-Stock-No-u6181-/301826747549?hash=item464646ac9d:g:9igAAOSw~otWcBIV

It seems you're links were a bit screwed up - they both pointed to the GS-1 finder... I've fixed 'em for you...

first one no (it's for the GS-1 which was the "big" bronny - 6x7 on 120), second one yes, that's fine for the ETRS or ESRSi

The manual is mainly for getting the correct LENS for your system TBH, pretty much all the sellers on either ebay or the s/h shops know what system the other accessories are for and will label them accordingly. If you're not sure, just ask on this forum, there's loads of us that have (or have had at one point) a ETRS(i) or the SQA or any one of the other bronnys....)

yup - that's a "straight" 120 6x4.5 120 back for the ETRS/ETRSi

Last edited:
I recently bought a Bronica ETRs (from ffordes as it happens) and my main lesson in using it is that it is not a 35mm SLR - it is heavy. Mine is either in a bag or on a tripod.

Note: i'm not speculating on the prices of the lenses or their conditions BTW, simply if they will work with a ETRS / ETRSi body... it's a while since I bought my (current - my first ETRS was back in the 80's... ) ETRSi rig, and I'm not up to speed on the current prices.

Ive looked for a 20mm but none on ebay that fit the ETRsi
@john.margetts yeah i remember the weight :)

40mm f4.0 is pretty much "the" wide angle for the ETRS series ... call it around a 25mm "full frame" equivalent - early MC's go for around £160-£180, the later PE's fetch maybe £40 more...

MC's (especially the 40mm) are a complete swine when it comes to lens flare if you're shooting into the sun BTW... budget for either the dedicated hood or get the adjustable "studio bellows hood" that'll work with all the lenses from 40-250mm

Last edited:
Col,
Bronica ETRSi body, 120 back, with a 75mm PE lens & WLF for £200 on this site in the film classifieds! That leaves you £50 of your budget towards a wide angle.
You need to get posting more messages to access these adverts.;)

Thanks @Martpix, how do i get to that page?

Ah right just seen your post. I have questions regarding tripods and film supplies, would that do it?

Last edited:
Hi medwaygreen, thanks for your advice. Id be happy to get singles to get a good camera and happy to wait to get the best bits but fear getting the wrong bits. Tell me if im wrong but id need a body - ETRSI, a film back, lens and waist finder, anything else? How would i know they all fit?

Thanks again!

Yes that is the kit plus a prism finder for portrait work. If they are all for ETRS/I then they will fit irrespective of age.(y)

Back