Getting back to film...

Looks a significant piece of fluff in that shot... think i leave that one

I'm not an expert like many people here, and I'm really much more of a snap-shooter. I can't advise on the lens, except to say with my sort of rough photography, I wouldn't worry much about a bit of dust. I'm not one of those that habitually cleans their lens. Not writing as an expert, but as a fanboy, I can tell you that I do like the square format, and I've had a lot of fun out of my SQ-A over the past three years. The below scans might indicate though how it performs in reference to 80mm and 150mm PS lenses.

15428312175_0d6156a9ab.jpg

SQ-A. PS150mm f/4. HP5+ Rodinal

14430839270_ba6bf37873.jpg

SQ-A PS 150mm f/4 FP4+ ID11

15642700743_69be8f2ae5.jpg

SQ-A PS 150mm f/4 HP5+ Rodinal

20807998119_958e3dc35e.jpg

SQ-A PS 80mm f/2.8 Shanghai GP3 Rodinal

14027941493_0b25c24d63.jpg

SQ-A PS 80mm f/2.8 HP5+ ID11

14784823905_111671e0c3.jpg

SQ-A PS 150mm f/4 FP4+ ID11

14552692887_5d796575d9.jpg

SQ-A PS 150mm f/4 with S-18 extension tube. HP5+ ID11

i completely agree @RaglanSurf but that spec of dust on the lens is sizeable and not going to take the risk i dont think. Im in no big rush and want to get the right one. I could pick up a decent price on an ETRSi today but want the full 6x6.

Good news, bought a Bronica SQ-a. The sellers even throwing in a metz flash unit too. Spent more than i had budgeted for but think I've got a nice piece of kit.

Thanks everyone who helped with tips, really helped and much appreciated. Now i have to figure out things like film choices, how to use the light meter but will be good fun :)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 23
Good news, bought a Bronica SQ-a. The sellers even throwing in a metz flash unit too. Spent more than i had budgeted for but think I've got a nice piece of kit.

Thanks everyone who helped with tips, really helped and much appreciated. Now i have to figure out things like film choices, how to use the light meter but will be good fun :)

Looks like a great kit - regarding the price, medium format stuff has held its value over the last few years so don't worry too much about the money you have in it. I'd start with Portra 160 or 400 for a good colour film; it's a wonderful all-rounder.

Im pretty much going to stick with black and white initially i think but thanks for the tip, ill make a note!

Excellent.

I have a little tip for that 40mm lens. A Cokin square filter sits nicely inside those lugs. Just hook a laccy band round a couple of corners to keep it in place.

Im pretty much going to stick with black and white initially i think but thanks for the tip, ill make a note!

You'll get lots of different recommendations over what people prefer for B&W. I'm a big fan of the Kodak B&W films (T-Max 400 especially), and don't care for the Ilford films very much - and there are people who have the opposite view to me! Worth picking up a few rolls of a few different emulsions, running them through, and seeing which one you like.

Although the majority of the scans that I posted were on Ilfords, I actually agree with freecom2 - I've become a fan of T-Max as well, especially on 35mm. For something rather different, I like Rollei retro 400S, a high contrast film with an unusual light range. I'm a fan of the low budget Shanghai as well, although getting them out of China isn't as easy as it use to be, they are super curly, and their QC is horrible. But I'm no fine print artist.

Last edited:
Although the majority of the scans that I posted were on Ilfords, I actually agree with freecom2 - I've become a fan of T-Max as well, especially on 35mm. For something rather different, I like Rollei retro 400S, a high contrast film with an unusual light range. I'm a fan of the low budget Shanghai as well, although getting them out of China isn't as easy as it use to be, they are super curly, and their QC is horrible. But I'm no fine print artist.

Some of those Rollei films are good.

As you say the retro 400s , also the RPX 100 and 400 speeds are very good imo and at a decent price too.
There is a 200 superpan which fits nicely inbetween those two speeds but the IQ is nothing like as good.

My other personal favourite is Ilford delta 400.....It's the only ilford 35mm fil that i can get on with tbh

The Kodak tri x and t max, are decent films, as has been mentioned, although I can often get as good or better results from the cheaper rollei films mentioned.

I'm a fan of the low budget Shanghai as well, although getting them out of China isn't as easy as it use to be, they are super curly, and their QC is horrible. But I'm no fine print artist.

Fomapan falls into this category as well. It actually develops quite well, although the 100 is definitely a little grainy (even at box speed), but it's very curly and has to be flattened a great deal before scanning is possible.

Fomapan falls into this category as well. It actually develops quite well, although the 100 is definitely a little grainy (even at box speed), but it's very curly and has to be flattened a great deal before scanning is possible.

The 400 is, i find very grainy, the 100, tbh I think isn't so bad ........ this shot was on fomopan 100

TP keep on moving challenge.jpg

My favourite film is fuji neopan acros 100. It is supposed to be one of the best films for long exposures as it is less affected by reciprocity failure. It's also a lovely fine grain and produces consistent results.

I also like to use these too:
Kodak Tmax 100 & 400
Ilford PanF 50, Delta 100, 400 & 3200
Rollei RPX 25 & Retro 80s

The rollei films produce nice results but I find they do like to curl more than others. Retro 80s is quite sensitive to red and works well as a very low speed infrared film. (ISO 6-8 roughly) RPX 25 has such fine grain, it's barely perceptible even at huge enlargements. Ilford films have always been pretty consistent and I don't mind using any of them but panF is the cheapest and always produces the nicest results. (also has the clearest base) Kodak tmax has always been a great film just like fuji neopan so I buy whichever of the two is cheaper. Tmax 400 is certainly the best 400 film I've used with finer grain than delta.

T-Max 400 and Acros for me too.

I also love Shanghai GP3 but there doesn't seem to be any available.

I must admit I preferred gp3 to fomapan too shame it's so hard to get at the moment.

I wonder if anyone here knows anyone who visits China.

I've got a parcel packed ready to go to China :naughty:

In the very unlikely event that the purchaser decides to return his item, I'll request that he packs it out with GP3 !! :D:D

Col,
This might help you with your light meter!

http://www.westonmeter.org.uk/manuals.htm

Back