Getting close in to stationary objects

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm struggling to get closer to things that I want to photograph. I'm not into insects/bugs but would like to be able photograph smaller objects.

Example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98691928@N05/10962388966

^^^That was the closest I could get. The lens can only focus at greater than 50cm distance from the object. Zooming only helps to a certain extent.

Would I be better off with a lens that can zoom in more eg 200mm, or should I go for something that can focus at closer ranges?

You need a macro lens. Or alternatively, look at the Raynox lens, 150 and 250.

Several options in (approximate) rising cost order.

Reversing ring. Allows you to mount your current lens backwards on your body. Reduces automatic control to almost zero.
Close up "filters". Actually supplementary lenses which screw into the filter thread of your lens. Come in assorted strengths, usually described in dioptre or x strengths.
Macro rings. Fit between the body and the lens, allowing much closer focussing than the lens alone.
Macro lens. Some lenses described as Macro aren't "true" Macro lenses; a true Macro will allow you to get an image as projected onto the sensor the same size as the object, so a bee will almost fill the frame at closest focus while the so-called Macro lenses often top out at about 1/2 size and are really just closer focussing than their non-Macro designated equivalents.

Thanks. I suspected as much but wondered if there were alternatives.

There is one item missed out of Nod's list IMO, extension tubes (NOT extenders). (Unless they are the Macro rings??)
These are similar to a reversing ring, in that they go in between the camera and the lens, BUT, the lens is not turned around. Like a reversing ring, they should not have any glass in them, and so should not degrade the image quality.
There are two types of extension tubes,
Manual or non-contact: These do not allow the electrical contacts between the lens and the camera. These are the cheapest tubes, but, you can't set the aperture or focus through the camera (focus probably not an issue, but most modern lenses don't seem to have manual aperture control. This problem will exist with reversing rings as well).
Electrical contact tubes: Allows for the aperture to be changed, and sometimes autofocus too.

That'll be the (misnamed!) Macro Rings I referred to.:) Not tried it myself but have seen some fairly good results using extension tubes and teleconverters in assorted orders as well as behind dedicated Macro lenses.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure there was a Canon fit reversing ring which maintained electrical contact between the body and lens. It should also be mentioned that lenses can be coupled face to face (front element to front element).

Thanks. I suspected as much but wondered if there were alternatives.

You could always crop :)
I don't know what camera you have but you probably have enough pixels to crop quite a bit.

That'll be the (misnamed!) Macro Rings I referred to.:) Not tried it myself but have seen some fairly good results using extension tubes
I bought some cheapo rings, with electrical connectors. The rings are cheap as they don't need glass :)
I took them to a butterfly expo locally, with my 100-400L. This has a ridiculous 2.5m minimum focus, but with the rings this went down to something like 0.5m. Got some nice full-sensor images of the butterflies at '~100m'.
They are very easy to use (I think), you just need to keep still as DOF is quite small from what I remember.
And given the cost, if they don't get used much (which mine aren't) then it isn't too much of a shame.

As usual with photography it depends somewhat how much you want/can afford to spend, for some people splashing out £200+ on a dedicated macro lens isn't a big deal, for others extension tubes are probably the best/most cost effective option. Keep in mind some macro lenses can be dual purpose (as in double as a portrait lens or something like).

For some reason my Flickr isnt letting me click the copy code button (or indeed my laptop is being mucked up) - I have taken some test photos using my Raynox-150 which I got yesterday for £45,00 from amazon - Sorry that they are not embedded yet but the first link is taken with a 55-200mm nikon kit lens and the second has the Raynox on - No cropping or post processing. Basically what it does is allow you to move the lens closer to the subject - should be perfect for you

None Raynox - 200mm
by Peter_939, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/61260514@N05/12055825485/]
Raynox - 200mm
by Peter_939, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
Back