Getting closer with a macro lens

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for some advice - I have the Nikon D750, and a Sigma 105mm Macro lens with OS. I'm finding that for insects, I'm having to crop a lot which means I'm hardly getting the detail I want from smaller subjects. Does anybody have recommendations for a good extension tube set? Would it be recommended to shoot in cropped mode to avoid such wasteful cropping. I won't have access to a computer for sometime so want to keep my file size down.

I use a set of Fuji tubes,simply because I got them cheap.
I understand Kenko are pretty good but the important thing seems to be to retain electrical connection with the camera.
I have just been playing it is not supposed to work but if a use the 16mm tube with my 60mm Fuji and a 1.4 Tc.
It is not supposed to fit but by using the 16mm tube as a spacer it fits and works.
The comdination of the and tubes and TC increases magnification quite significantly.
It might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Forget the tubes and do a search for Raynox. I use a DCR-250 which is mainly kept on a 135mm prime but it gives even better magnification on a dedicated macr lens and also (unlike tubes) there is no loss of light.

Great images, did you use diffused flash for these?

First was on a 135mm f/2.8 lens, flash diffused with a bit of plastic cut from a milk bottle, second image was with a 70-200mm f/4 and natural light.
I’m heading to Africa and have a month to tinker. Went with my 200-500mm for birds last year but they were so nervous and difficult to capture. This time I’m going to focus on insects and hopefully I can get an attachment before I go on Tuesday

Back