Getting my Polaroid 600 to fire a speedlight

Name
Chris Reed
Edit My Images
No
one of the stylist I work with wants me to do a shoot for her, she wants it in Polaroid, but the light setup would work best if I could get the Polaroid to fire either my Nikon SB900 (which i can use to fire my sb600) or my studio heads (i fire the master with a wire, it controls the others wirelessly)

any one know of a way i can work this? would prefer to get the two speedlights working as I would not have to drag my studio heads to location, but either way its going to need more the the Polaroid flash.

any connections for attaching cables to polaroid?

why polaroid dare i ask? shoot digital photos back in less than an hour from asda etc:shrug:

nope, no wire holes on the body that I can find.

the woman paying my fee wants Polaroids, that is why. she wants it for the look, and quality that they give.

Cheeryrig might know he's got a polaroid. Does the polaroid have a remote release option that you could tie-in the a remote trigger for the flash?

The only other option I can think of would involve opening the polaroid, and connecting something like a cheap ebay trigger into the low voltage side of the polaroid flash to signal the SBs. Depends how happy you are with surgery on your polaroid?

it cost a whole 15quid, and i have 2, surgery may be the only way, but would the battery which comes in the film pack throw enough vults be enough to trigger every thing? and what is my risk of death like?

You could fire the SB-900 with an optical trigger from the Polaroid's flash, if it has one.

Why not just shoot in digital and run it through a Polaroid simulation action in PS?

the boss wants Polaroids... I will do some test shots with the optical trigger tonight.

So it's not a Polaroid back you've got? Just a Polaroid 600 camera??

If it's just a Polaroid 600 camera then just stick a optical slave on the SB and then the flash from the camera will fire that off. However because the Polaroid 600 camera does not have a meter system you might just end up with a overexposed Polaroid, as no metering settings have been changed...........as you can't

Therefore you need a Medium Format camera which has a Polaroid back to get a test shot as a Polaroid, as you can then meter and change all the settings on the camera, unlike the Polaroid camera

Hope that helps

So it's not a Polaroid back you've got? Just a Polaroid 600 camera??

If it's just a Polaroid 600 camera then just stick a optical slave on the SB and then the flash from the camera will fire that off. However because the Polaroid 600 camera does not have a meter system you might just end up with a overexposed Polaroid, as no metering settings have been changed...........as you can't

Therefore you need a Medium Format camera which has a Polaroid back to get a test shot as a Polaroid, as you can then meter and change all the settings on the camera, unlike the Polaroid camera

Hope that helps

looks like I'm hiring a medium format camera then, cheers.

Nothing wrong with my sense of humour thanks Chris. Now without wanting to sound like a smart arse have you shot medium format polaroid before? They're not presented the same as a normal polaroid so might not fit your clients brief. If she wants polaroid colours to scan and get enlargements from you'll probably be alright but if they want the to stick on a wall or in a scrap book then they will be different.

No i have not shot medium format Polaroid, she wants scans of the images for her site, and its a magazine shoot.

You should be alright then, I haven't got any examples on here but MF cameras only us a 6x6 area (or whatever shape MF you're using) of the whole film area leaving an area of black, unexposed negative around the image and then the white border around that like this. Different MF cameras position the image in different places but if you're scanning then it won't matter.

So your using a old Polaroid 600 film camera on a magazine shoot??

You got a link to the camera your using as it's kind of hard to believe that you might be using a 600 camera for a shoot??? Aspeically one thats got off camera lighting.

Might as well just use a MF camera with a Polaroid back as then you have full control over everything!

So your using a old Polaroid 600 film camera on a magazine shoot??

You got a link to the camera your using as it's kind of hard to believe that you might be using a 600 camera for a shoot??? Aspeically one thats got off camera lighting.

Might as well just use a MF camera with a Polaroid back as then you have full control over everything!

i tried to explain this to her, shes fairly insistent on it being a Polaroid, i will grab a 6x9 and show see how close to what she wants I can get, but she is fairly stubborn as far as people go.

Surely the sb900 already has a strobe slave already built in.

Su-**** mode or something?

The sb-800 does. or maybe I'm mistaking it for something else.

I know I've used my sb800 off camera before triggering it with my old toshiba flash, and the exposures were fairly accurate as it worked like the old thyristor jobbies like the toshiba one.

I may be talking rubbish but I'm drunk so there.

Back