Getting out the old SLR and using up last roll of film

Well you have made a better job than Asda did, oh well I know where NOT to get them done in future.. Thanks for doing that (y)

Well it looks like you have an inferior Asda as I'm happy with mine...mind you I don't have prints just dev and scan to CD.

Last edited:
12943-1440609941-405d7ff6c30482ec819e57f8a8d78815.jpg

Just a quick clip here, the white blob in the middle is a reflection.

I'm sure you know this, and I know it's tricky holding them up, but... never hold the negs with your fingers on the frame! Always the edges, else next time you scan them there'll be a dirty great thumb print all over your mutt's face... :eek::D

I'm sure you know this, and I know it's tricky holding them up, but... never hold the negs with your fingers on the frame! Always the edges, else next time you scan them there'll be a dirty great thumb print all over your mutt's face... :eek::D
Yep I know, had they been film more important to me, I would deffo take more care. I had a viewing frame many years ago, but binned it when I went digital. Never thought I would ever need it again. [emoji21]

Might go for that option next time :)

Well nearly every shot I post here is done by Asda (before Tesco) scanned and adjusted in PS to my liking...Asda use the same chemicals (Fuji) as many places around the world and the girl told me that they change the chemicals every day ?? So you get the same dev as an expensive lab, but the problem is handling and a good Asda would treat the negs with respect i.e. be careful of dust, hairs and scratches and before scanning should wipe the negs...I did tell the girls this after a few dusty results.
If you just get the negs scanned then if you have a great winning shot you can always take the neg to a lab and have it scanned for say a 10 X12 print. and if you have a good lens it wont be a problem.

Off topic as I don't know where to put this post:-
I was amazed looking at about 2.5ft X 3.5ft picture at my son's partner's house ( I would have taking a shot but thought she wouldn't like it all over the net)..anyway all she can remember about 7 years ago was the guy who took the shot in B/W used a large camera (either 35mm or MF) and she thinks it was a film camera (well if it was digi it probably would have been in colour). Well here is the amazing bit:- the original print was about 6 X 8" and all she did was copy it with her mobile phone and had this large print done by a lab and stand 10ft -20ft away and it was jaw dropping with very nice tones and looked sharp.

thats a good trick in photoshop with the negatives!

the problem with asda may not be to do with the chemicals/developing (changing every day??? what a pain in the arse, we would have to obviously fill and top up chemicals, but didn't do complete dump every day) - but with the scanner software - as I say when I worked at Klick, the machine was set up to a default which we were told not to change, so maybe this is the root of the issue. I don't know what machines Asda use for scanning and printing. I know Boots have recently stopped offering 6x9 prints (use this size for some work) but Asda still do it.

think I will use Uk film lab for Iceland, but prob stick with asda for a dev and 'contact sheet' approach and then scan at home.

Well nearly every shot I post here is done by Asda (before Tesco) scanned and adjusted in PS to my liking...Asda use the same chemicals (Fuji) as many places around the world and the girl told me that they change the chemicals every day ?? So you get the same dev as an expensive lab, but the problem is handling and a good Asda would treat the negs with respect i.e. be careful of dust, hairs and scratches and before scanning should wipe the negs...I did tell the girls this after a few dusty results.
If you just get the negs scanned then if you have a great winning shot you can always take the neg to a lab and have it scanned for say a 10 X12 print. and if you have a good lens it wont be a problem.

Yes I think that is probably a better idea, think I will try some more film at some point. Might do some photos of the Grand Kids, and see how I want to go with that ;)

the problem with asda may not be to do with the chemicals/developing (changing every day??? what a pain in the arse, we would have to obviously fill and top up chemicals, but didn't do complete dump every day) - but with the scanner software - as I say when I worked at Klick, the machine was set up to a default which we were told not to change, so maybe this is the root of the issue. I don't know what machines Asda use for scanning and printing. I know Boots have recently stopped offering 6x9 prints (use this size for some work) but Asda still do it.

think I will use Uk film lab for Iceland, but prob stick with asda for a dev and 'contact sheet' approach and then scan at home.

Yep neat little trick that @stevelmx5 did, it was good of him :)

Last edited:

They use Fuji Frontier for dev and scanning......a nice separate scanner if you have the room and sells on ebay, also does MF negs.
I called into Asda early once and she was loading a cartridge? for chemicals into the machine and told me she can't do any dev until the chemicals heat up....I'll have to ask her again what the system is for changing, who mixes the chemicals, does the cartridge come from Fuji etc

They use Fuji Frontier for dev and scanning......a nice separate scanner if you have the room and sells on ebay, also does MF negs.
I called into Asda early once and she was loading a cartridge? for chemicals into the machine and told me she can't do any dev until the chemicals heat up....I'll have to ask her again what the system is for changing, who mixes the chemicals, does the cartridge come from Fuji etc

cartridges, that's interesting. certainly takes out the staff error risk, and also prevents spillages. I cant remember the make of machine I used at klick, I know Tesco used them for a while after I left but know that Tesco have wet labs any more? The software on them was a pile of s***, always had engineers coming out and having to reinstall it - I hated that thing. if the software wasn't failing, paper was getting jammed and I was laying on the floor unjamming it. And even when the machine was in bits on the floor and I was laying with my head in it, people still asked me if I could develop their film in 20mins...

cartridges, that's interesting. certainly takes out the staff error risk, and also prevents spillages. I cant remember the make of machine I used at klick, I know Tesco used them for a while after I left but know that Tesco have wet labs any more? The software on them was a pile of s***, always had engineers coming out and having to reinstall it - I hated that thing. if the software wasn't failing, paper was getting jammed and I was laying on the floor unjamming it. And even when the machine was in bits on the floor and I was laying with my head in it, people still asked me if I could develop their film in 20mins...

The photo shop, about 3 miles up the road, uses a Konica dev M/C dunno about scanning and printing.

This looks similar to Asda's but know Asda's is a 3000.... interesting read for all filmies:-
http://petapixel.com/2013/01/07/a-b...-35mm-film-is-developed-and-printed-at-a-lab/

The photo shop, about 3 miles up the road, uses a Konica dev M/C dunno about scanning and printing.

This looks similar to Asda's but know Asda's is a 3000.... interesting read for all filmies:-
http://petapixel.com/2013/01/07/a-b...-35mm-film-is-developed-and-printed-at-a-lab/

Just read it, and very interesting it was too :) noting the part that says ( It is at this point a good lab technician adjusts each picture using a unique keyboard. Different amounts of Cyan, Magenta and Yellow can be added or subtracted to each photo to ensure colour is correct. Adjustments are also made for exposure to each individual photo. Printing from negatives is a skill, which is why you should always ensure the lab technician you use is highly trained in this area.) Would most tweak each photo would they have time, could they be bothered ?

Would most tweak each photo would they have time, could they be bothered ?

At high street labs or supermarkets? No, I wouldn't expect that.

At a professional lab? Yes, I would always expect that the scans are individually adjusted for colour and exposure as necessary.

These neg do look good. i would ask for a refund or rescan. But i don't think there equipment would rescan once it's cut to stripes?
You must have been unlucky there, maybe the operator was a newbies and forgot to tick the "automatic" box while scanning. How badly overexposed are they is it really bad?

J Would most tweak each photo would they have time, could they be bothered ?

Well if all your shots are in similar lighting condition then there is a VG chance they will all be good scans...but to tweak every neg frame taken from Xmas thru' to Xmas and get perfect scans for £1.....would think you would have to be lucky or she was bored with no work and it was something to do..
Anyway it's no problem getting a basic scan as you tweak in PS..the important thing is no spots (usually white) etc which can take ages to clear up.

Answer to Thomas:- The Asda girl said she would scan up to 36 negs as long as the negs are joined by three frames min and it would cost £2.......Well I could give her a headache with a variety of negs going back to 1960 and some are slightly faded :eek:

Last edited:
Yes but there is nothing wrong on these negative even using full auto mode they should come out fine. I use epson scanner and for the colour, i don't spend our adjusting exposure, blu, cyan, magenta. I usually just click " auto". Is the software not adjust the "auto" mode picture by picture?

Yes but there is nothing wrong on these negative even using full auto mode they should come out fine. I use epson scanner and for the colour, i don't spend our adjusting exposure, blu, cyan, magenta. I usually just click " auto". Is the software not adjust the "auto" mode picture by picture?

Some of the Asda scans beat my home scans using a V750 and it's usually when using old film and getting the colours right even using PS.

These neg do look good. i would ask for a refund or rescan. But i don't think there equipment would rescan once it's cut to stripes?
You must have been unlucky there, maybe the operator was a newbies and forgot to tick the "automatic" box while scanning. How badly overexposed are they is it really bad?
The dog's coat is a Brindle colour but looks very light on the photos, while the grass is nearly white.

Last edited:
Clearly an operator error during scanning. See what other people will advice. If you have any other way of scanning them they will be totally usable as steve demonstrated earlier. For the picture to be all white your negative would be totally black and you wouldn't see through.

I would have been really miffed if they had of been important photos, just my dog and other unimportant snippets so not that heart breaking. I think I will get another roll or two, and take some more photos. But next time I will have a word with the person, before I give them for developing. If it happens again, I will point out the problem..

For C41 I use BOOTS in Brentwood High Street -- the operator there KNOWS about 'Photography and does an excellent job -- no colour casts, well processed negs with replenished C41 and RA4 chemicals and ALL my films I give him are now 'outdated' some as much as over 10 years ( I DOWNRATE to a lower ASA) -- well YOUR 'Old Camera' is much more MODERN than most of MY gear !
As above -- your negs look OK definitely NOT over-exposed so it must be your processor' who does not know what they are doing.
Here is a scan from a sample BOOTS print on my 'Gift' COSINA CT-1 much OLDER than your posh Nikon on Kodak Portra 160NC film dated 02/2000 Sunpak auto 36FD flash.
Phils 2015 : In Inayawan Market by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Here is the COSINA CT-1 I used made in late 1970's I think --- I had not 'dusted it off' properly when I took this photo but it is 'cleaner; now !!

Cosina-CT-1 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Great result there Peter, but a caveat for picking up well out of date films at the bootie is that the colours can drift if the film is not reasonably stored, also some of the shop brands (if not basically Fuji or Kodak) can give less pleasing results.
Interesting about the guy at Boots as is it the machine and software and his skill that give VG results or could he get the same result with a flatbed scanner and Photoshop.

Last edited:
Ah Yes -- all my film is stored cold in a fridge -- that outdated was a 'Gift' from KODAK Rochester on Flickr -- some years ago they found over 750 cassettes of FILLUM in a basement so contacted Flickr and said they would GIVE it away to members who sent them an e-mail saying how they use film and what they would do with it so I applied and LO and BEHOLD !! some weeks later a package arrived from Rochester USA Post Paid with LOADS of Kodak FILLUM inside !

For C41 I use BOOTS in Brentwood High Street -- the operator there KNOWS about 'Photography and does an excellent job -- no colour casts, well processed negs with replenished C41 and RA4 chemicals and ALL my films I give him are now 'outdated' some as much as over 10 years ( I DOWNRATE to a lower ASA) -- well YOUR 'Old Camera' is much more MODERN than most of MY gear !
As above -- your negs look OK definitely NOT over-exposed so it must be your processor' who does not know what they are doing.
Here is a scan from a sample BOOTS print on my 'Gift' COSINA CT-1 much OLDER than your posh Nikon on Kodak Portra 160NC film dated 02/2000 Sunpak auto 36FD flash.
Phils 2015 : In Inayawan Market by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Here is the COSINA CT-1 I used made in late 1970's I think --- I had not 'dusted it off' properly when I took this photo but it is 'cleaner; now !!

Cosina-CT-1 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Some nice colours there :) a little tempted to get out and tinker with another roll or two.

At high street labs or supermarkets? No, I wouldn't expect that.

At a professional lab? Yes, I would always expect that the scans are individually adjusted for colour and exposure as necessary.

Exactamundo. When I worked at Klick, we were on 20min turn around so didn't have time for that. We would do colour correction on specific pieces of work if it was only one or two photos, but the software we had wasn't very capable of fine tune detail. although this was 10 years ago, so I should probably stop referring to it!

Back