Getting out the old SLR and using up last roll of film

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
12315-1437820958-578d2f87537b6ee7e6b7eea066fd6c04.jpg

I am finally using up my last roll of film, so getting out my old Nikon F60 and the 50mm 1.8D I have stuck on and old flash, I found at the back of the cupboard. Just fired of a few shots, feels so different. Nothing like using digital, I am making each shot count, and savouring the moment. Will use the rest of the roll up, when I visit the grandchildren. Must admit I nearly looked at the rear after each shot :)

I will see what they turn out like, if they are good I may start using it again..

its fun, isnt it?:)
make sure you get prints done, 7x5 preferably...
A bit nerve racking to be honest, even loading the film felt weird. Every click felt precious, even though the film was only cheap.

Or just go for digitalised disc...My usual preference :)

I will see what's available when I get them done :)

Totally different way of taking photos when using film, no mad click happy behaviour. Just took a photo of the missus slobbing about the house, oh and the customary cat and dog photos :)

i like prints, i very very rarely get digital prints done, so analogue gives me prints, well c41/polaroid does, as i do my own black n white now. but to get that physical print is the classic film experience :)

You'll be buying medium format in three months and lusting after large format in six.

i like prints, i very very rarely get digital prints done, so analogue gives me prints, well c41/polaroid does, as i do my own black n white now. but to get that physical print is the classic film experience :)

Would love to tinker more with film, it's the storage I can see being a problem. Only living in a small flat, space is very limited :(

For some of us who are now more d#####l than film (OK, almost exclusively d#####l rather than film!), prints are the product rather than screens.

Up to frame 13 now as I took a few more photos today, slow process. Going to try and use up the roll at the week end, if I find something I want to capture on film :)

12938-1440407680-a6c320f6c9576fa24dc8c659371f602f.jpg

Just finished my last roll of film, took me ages to get through it. Now to drop it off at shop, and see what I have managed to capture :)

Looking forward to the results, John! The anticipation is good, isn't it!

Brought back fond memories seeing that F60, seems like a lifetime ago I had mine. Still have an old F3 somewhere but god knows where!!

Looking forward to the results, John! The anticipation is good, isn't it!

Finger hovering over shutter button and thinking is this a worthy scene, certainly makes me think a lot more. Amazing how many times I refused to take the shot, thinking scene is not worthy, or exposure or composition may be out. Yes I must admit it is a good feeling, certainly has a serious feel to it :)
Brought back fond memories seeing that F60, seems like a lifetime ago I had mine. Still have an old F3 somewhere but god knows where!!

It's amazing how new the camera looks, I have had it from new and kept it in it's box. I have even got the little plastic bags all the bits and bobs came in. :)

Had an enjoyable morning using up the last few frames up, took the dog the park got some photos of her. Very enjoyable using film on a lovely morning. While the shutter sound was very noisy it was a lovely re assuring sound, and much better than a beep :)

Just got the photos back and a little disappointed, most of them are very over exposed. In short, very bad photos :(

Just got the photos back and a little disappointed, most of them are very over exposed. In short, very bad photos :(

Overexposed? As you were using colour negative film, you would really have to overexpose it to completely ruin your photographs. I don't ordinarily recommend it and it's not ideal, but I've gone over by 6+ stops and the photographs are still perfectly useable for personal purposes, although you might get some slight colour shifts, particularly in the highlights with the fuji film. Are you sure something else hasn't happened?

Last edited:
Over exposure plus a bad scan might do it?

A bad scan regardless of exposure would do it.

Commenting on the scan is purely conjecture at this point, however, as we haven't seen the images.

Overexposed? As you were using colour negative film, you would really have to overexpose it to completely ruin your photographs. I don't ordinarily recommend it and it's not ideal, but I've gone over by 6+ stops and the photographs are still perfectly useable for personal purposes, although you might get some slight colour shifts, particularly in the highlights with the fuji film. Are you sure something else hasn't happened?

I haven't got a scanner to scan photos, so I cant stick any up. Best thing is to probably get more film, and tweak the exposure a little more. Might also get a scanner at some point :)

I haven't got a scanner to scan photos, so I cant stick any up. Best thing is to probably get more film, and tweak the exposure a little more. Might also get a scanner at some point :)

...but as said about over exposure......you should still not see an over exposed print, I would suggest complaining.
Are you sure your shots were not well under exposed as they wouldn't give a very nice quality print?

The shop will definitely have scanned it at low res and printed off the scans, that's how almost everyone does it these days.

Usually when I get stuff devved, I get the scan as well. C41 colour negative scanning can be tricky to get the colours right, because of the orange mask. Asda, Max Spielmann etc tend to charge a pound or two for a low res scan (1200 ppi, about a 2mp image; ask for a CD). For better results I use Photo Express who'll sell you dev and a 2000 ppi scan (6mp image) for £4.50 (after 50p discount for TP members) plus postage. Some folk use UKFL (excellent quality, a bit pricier, and quite slow), and plenty of other labs, see the list in the tutorials and resources sticky in this forum.

Although home scanning C41 is tricky, it does give you more control. And for black and white, which the cheaper services don't touch, lab scans can be very expensive but home scanning is simpler so I do all my own by&w.

If you have the negs I'd be happy to scan them for you if you like.

...but as said about over exposure......you should still not see an over exposed print, I would suggest complaining.
Are you sure your shots were not well under exposed as they wouldn't give a very nice quality print?
The shop will definitely have scanned it at low res and printed off the scans, that's how almost everyone does it these days.

Usually when I get stuff devved, I get the scan as well. C41 colour negative scanning can be tricky to get the colours right, because of the orange mask. Asda, Max Spielmann etc tend to charge a pound or two for a low res scan (1200 ppi, about a 2mp image; ask for a CD). For better results I use Photo Express who'll sell you dev and a 2000 ppi scan (6mp image) for £4.50 (after 50p discount for TP members) plus postage. Some folk use UKFL (excellent quality, a bit pricier, and quite slow), and plenty of other labs, see the list in the tutorials and resources sticky in this forum.

Although home scanning C41 is tricky, it does give you more control. And for black and white, which the cheaper services don't touch, lab scans can be very expensive but home scanning is simpler so I do all my own by&w.

Just looking at old photos I took with this same camera many years ago, maybe about twelve years ago or more. The photos are lovely vibrant and how I would expect a decent photo to turn out, and look like proper film photos. The photos I have done on this camera in the recent couple of years have turned out terrible, the prints look so artificial mushy and fuzzy, everything looks blotchy and false. Just do not look like real photos at all, maybe it's down to the poor quality print :thinking:

As an experiment I had a colour neg film scanned after dev by Ag, and I chose their 'hi-res' option. I could do a far better job myself if I had a scanner that could do MF. The colours were great but I could've got more from the negs - the histogram in some cases was crammed up against one end, and tones (and hence detail) had been lost. Also what you get back is an 8-bit jpg. A 16-bit tif would be a better resource to take forward into editing.

Well John you have us all curious and "why"...could you hold the neg against a bright background and take a digi shot?

do you have an examples jon?

I bought an old canon a1 recently, and I was disappointed with the results too - I posted some on a thread here to get some feedback to try and see if the problem was me, the film, the camera, the developing (asda), the scanning etc.

In my case, as I had been using it on 'auto' (wasn't brave enough to go whole hog yet), the over exposed shots were due to the scenes being very sunny and the light meter (as its older) perhaps not dealing with it that well. when I go away next week, im going to use the exsposure lock to try and combat this. I think the scanning asda does (even though it says hi res), is pretty shoddy. its clear they don't have time (for the price it is, I wouldn't expect) to pay much attention to anything. some of the lighter frames havnt scanned properly as the scanner has skipped across frames etc. As its only £1 to get the CD, when I get my photos from Iceland developed, I will get them put on CD just to see what I've managed to get (not all that confident), and then I have borrowed my friends neg scanner (as long as I can get it to work, the other one I borrowed from him just wouldn't play ball with my machine) and re scan any that I think are worthy of more attention. I found some shots needed some tweaks of levels in photoshop. I think I was expecting too much, in combination with the other stuff mentioned.

if you can post up some examples, maybe some people can help - as the feedback I got helped me a lot :)

I think the scanning asda does (even though it says hi res), is pretty shoddy. its clear they don't have time (for the price it is, I wouldn't expect) to pay much attention to anything. some of the lighter frames havnt scanned properly as the scanner has skipped across frames etc. As its only £1 to get the CD, when I get my photos from Iceland developed, I will get them put on CD just to see what I've managed to get (not all that confident), and then I have borrowed my friends neg scanner (as long as I can get it to work, the other one I borrowed from him just wouldn't play ball with my machine) and re scan any that I think are worthy of more attention. I found some shots needed some tweaks of levels in photoshop. I think I was expecting too much, in combination with the other stuff mentioned.

Yes, the ASDA scans are not great. For £1, worth it as an equivalent to the old-fashioned contact strip, to select better frames to scan separately.

But... if I were going to Iceland with a film camera, I wouldn't take the films to ASDA. I just couldn't. I'd pick the best lab I could get, perhaps UK Film Lab as @gazmorton2000 did. You don't want any mistakes with development or afterwards, and some of the ASDA film handling I've seen has been frankly alarming.

Yes, the ASDA scans are not great. For £1, worth it as an equivalent to the old-fashioned contact strip, to select better frames to scan separately.

But... if I were going to Iceland with a film camera, I wouldn't take the films to ASDA. I just couldn't. I'd pick the best lab I could get, perhaps UK Film Lab as @gazmorton2000 did. You don't want any mistakes with development or afterwards, and some of the ASDA film handling I've seen has been frankly alarming.

Thanks Chris - hmm yes, you might have a point - the attention to detail on the actual development might not be great either. I used to work in Klick (max speilman) but we weren't given the time to do any corrections to anything in scanning. it was all about speed. I cant speak for other shops, but I know we def paid attention to chemicals & quality of development and maintained the machine properly though. (i'll never forget a customer who came in to get photos developed of a wedding he had shot, my boss explained this was a high street lab and he was not going to get 'professional' standard by using Klick and stressed this very much, given it was someones wedding, but he still went ahead. Needless to say, he didn't like what he got and kicked up an almighty stink about it - but we stood our ground. he was a total knob too, I was assistant manager at the time and he assumed because I was a woman, there MUST have been someone more senior in charge the day he came in to complain (it was a sunday, it was me in charge) he was being a tight arse and paid the pirce)

my friend at work, his son works in an independent photo lab, and their costs are something like £7.50 to develop a film, so I may consider using them, but I will look at UK Film Lab - I am shooting digital also, as main weapon. but talking 35mm along for something a bit different.

Last edited:
Well John you have us all curious and "why"...could you hold the neg against a bright background and take a digi shot?
do you have an examples jon?

I bought an old canon a1 recently, and I was disappointed with the results too - I posted some on a thread here to get some feedback to try and see if the problem was me, the film, the camera, the developing (asda), the scanning etc.

In my case, as I had been using it on 'auto' (wasn't brave enough to go whole hog yet), the over exposed shots were due to the scenes being very sunny and the light meter (as its older) perhaps not dealing with it that well. when I go away next week, im going to use the exsposure lock to try and combat this. I think the scanning asda does (even though it says hi res), is pretty shoddy. its clear they don't have time (for the price it is, I wouldn't expect) to pay much attention to anything. some of the lighter frames havnt scanned properly as the scanner has skipped across frames etc. As its only £1 to get the CD, when I get my photos from Iceland developed, I will get them put on CD just to see what I've managed to get (not all that confident), and then I have borrowed my friends neg scanner (as long as I can get it to work, the other one I borrowed from him just wouldn't play ball with my machine) and re scan any that I think are worthy of more attention. I found some shots needed some tweaks of levels in photoshop. I think I was expecting too much, in combination with the other stuff mentioned.

if you can post up some examples, maybe some people can help - as the feedback I got helped me a lot :)

12943-1440609941-405d7ff6c30482ec819e57f8a8d78815.jpg

Just a quick clip here, the white blob in the middle is a reflection.

12943-1440609941-405d7ff6c30482ec819e57f8a8d78815.jpg

Just a quick clip here, the white blob in the middle is a reflection.

Overexposed negatives would be very dense and, therefore, quite dark. Those negatives don't look very dark to me, so I don't think that overexposure is at play.

Last edited:
Overexposed negatives would be very dense and, therefore, quite dark. Those negatives don't look very dark to me, so I don't think that overexposure is at play.
So not my fault then ? Don't know if I should be happy or sad o_O

Well the negs look alright to me too, so it's either crappy film (which would affect the colours and sometimes the grain) or the lab's\shop's fault......a digi shot of the print should confirm this.

Last edited:
The negs look a bit uderexposed if anything, might be worthwhile checking the metering against your digital, see if it matches.

Back