Getting ready for my first non league football game tomorrow night...

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, want to make sure I've checked everything before I go so I can get the best shots I can :)

Camera Settings:
Manual as Av may go crazy if I catch the floodlights in a shot
As high ISO as possible
Wide open at 2.8
Fastest shutter speed the camera will let me go to
Going to flick between using all my AF points and the centre AF point to see which gives the best results, doubting my 5D can keep up with al the AF points
AI Servo, continuous shooting

Gear:
5d & 70-200 2.8 IS
Trusty stool :)
Lots and lots of layers as if it's anything like tonight it will be freezing

Positioning:
Behind whichever goal Brig are shooting towards, close enough to get goal mouth action and celebrations with my 200
Remembering to stay out of the way of the huge crowds of 13+ at Bamber Bridge

Technique
Faces faces faces faces faces :D
Ball always in the shot, unless it's a celebration
Tight crops

Anything I have missed or any last minute tips from the pro's?

(patiently awaiting a wierd and wonderful response from Kipax :naughty:)

Last edited:
Shoot tight & fill the frame as cropping will be a no no given the light & high ISO's, mostly enjoy it, your life doesn't depend on catching every second of the game so bide your time & wait for the action to come to you, if it doesn't come?,hey get up & move! no worrys!.( mind you when you move the action will be where you were in the first place:LOL:. Kind regards Graham.

Last edited:
If your shutter speeds are below 1/400th then try to capture action coming straight at you, movement straight towards you tends to negate motion blur.

Shoot tight & fill the frame as cropping will be a no no given the light & high ISO's, mostly enjoy it, your life doesn't depend on catching every second of the game so bide your time & wait for the action to come to you, if it doesn't come?,hey get up & move! no worrys!.( mind you when you move the action will be where you were in the first place:LOL:. Kind regards Graham.

Definitely think I'll enjoy it but really want to be at least half decent :D thanks for the advice graham

If your shutter speeds are below 1/400th then try to capture action coming straight at you, movement straight towards you tends to negate motion blur.

Awesome tip, thanks Gary

your deffo in at the deep end and if i wasnt at vauxhall motors for fa cup i would ahve joined you.. fill the frame is the top advice.. dont bother with distance shots on high iso... I also wouldnt bother with all af points.. keep to one af point..

otherwise you seem to ahve it all under control... :)

How True is that Graham !!!

Go for it Iain, you can do it mate. Just go out and enjoy yourself, I know I do.

Good luck.

Don't forget the bacon butties & coffee which you can nosh on/drink when all the action is the other end ....

Keep an eye open for the unusual (y)

Keep an eye out for the ball when it comes whizzing towards you! When all you can see in the viewfinder is a blur of white/black you know its time to duck!

Thanks for all the support guys :)

I'm at the ground now, practicing on the warm ups. Only getting 1/250 at 6400 ISO as there aren't any floodlights in the corners down this end :s shots look ok for now but the tempo will obv be a lot faster in the game.

I'm absoloutly freezing and already loving every minute of it!

Iain

You should be in the middle of the match now.

Hope it's going well.

It's a buzz isn't it!

I've done 5 and a half games pitch side now and still love every second of it

Good lad iain... looking forward to seeing what ya got..

Back