Getting rid of grain?

Name
Neil McLeland
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted an image of the sun earlier today http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=79169 and it has got me wondering how I can remove the graininess in the photograph.

Can anyone recommend a program (free preferably) that can do this or is it a process within the likes of Photoshop etc?

Thanks in advance

Neil

You can get Noise Ninja as a plugin for photoshop and it does a very good job.

Nigel

neat image

Thanks very much for that, I downloaded it and had a very quick play and got these results

Before
sunrise.jpg

and After
sunrise_filtered.jpg

Probably even more improvement with a bit of practice with the settings.

Brilliant - thanks again.

Neil

Hmm,,, getting rid of grain?

I think a tractor and trailer would be best! :D

Beware though,

any noise reduction you use will reduce the amount of fine detail in the image to a degree.

I find it's always best to just apply it areas were there isn't any fine detail and it shows the most. e.g. shadows, skies etc

Beware though,

any noise reduction you use will reduce the amount of fine detail in the image to a degree.

I find it's always best to just apply it areas were there isn't any fine detail and it shows the most. e.g. shadows, skies etc

Thank you, I'll be careful with that (y)

Neil

Its not grain, grain is entirely different to digital noise.
Neat image does a decent job, noise reduction software isn't the complete answer to clean shots, but it goes a long way to cleaning up shots spoilt with small amounts, you can see its blended some of the noise away but it's fuzzed up the tree line a little.
Best idea is not to have it in the first place, I've no idea why at iso200 and 1/800th shutter there is so much noise in that shot.

Try Noisware I think it does a better job than Ninja, but every one has there own favourites

Back