Getting started...

Edit My Images
Yes
I would love to get into motor sport photography, particularly as a friend of mine has just started racing bikes. The trouble is that I'm a complete newbie to DLSR's and I've never tried to capture anything like this before. I've only just got my first DLSR, a Canon 350D, and I only took it outside for the first time today!
So, what advice can anyone give me? Any tips or tricks I should know? Any specific lenses or equipment I should be using?

I would love to get into motor sport photography, particularly as a friend of mine has just started racing bikes. The trouble is that I'm a complete newbie to DLSR's and I've never tried to capture anything like this before. I've only just got my first DLSR, a Canon 350D, and I only took it outside for the first time today!
So, what advice can anyone give me? Any tips or tricks I should know? Any specific lenses or equipment I should be using?

im also interested in this so i will keep an eye out for this post to get some ideas my self (y)(y)

mat

Set focus mode to AI SERVO (Canon speak)
Use Tv mode (shutter priority mode).
Select a photo point rather than let the camera do it.
choose an iso that gives you an aperture you want given the weather, normally around the f/8
Play around with shutter speeds, from maybe 1/400 for a head on shot, down for different shots.
track the bike with the shutter button half pressed for a while to allow the focus tracking system to settle down. Squeeze the button fully but keep following the bike.

Then it comes down to practise.

Thanks Andrew.
Some useful tips there, hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try them out soon,

I might sit on the road outside my house and start photographing strangers as they drive past to get some practice. I'm sure it won't look strange at all! :naughty:

Practice on roads, and you can get into race circuits for free on track days and testing days. Its only race weekends that an entry fee is charged.

You can get an idea of what angles are possible from the public areas by searching this forum and flickr.

Bikes are small and quick, so don't be disappointed, you'll get the hang of it.

Some geat advice by Andrew. Start with what he says and shoot lots.

Don't be put off by your failures (they will come) , also be critical of your work. When you get a cracking shot be happy with it but also look for ways it could be better.

Like Andrew as already said look at other peoples work and get ideas from these. There are some cracking togs on here - Desantnik, Gadget-Guy, spcomp, Jewson, the rest of the Bleezub motorsport crew just to name a few (apolgizes to ones who ought to be on that list that aren't :) )

Post your work ask for c&c, ask questions - I ve found them to be a very helpful friendly lot on here.

Lastly and the most important ENJOY.

Thanks Graham.
Hopefully I get my hands on a half decent lens on pay day and then find a few track days to go to. I'd like to get a start on the practice now as I'm hoping to head up to Silverstone for some of the F1 practice in July and would love to have a little foundation behind me before I go.

Practice practice practice. Thats all there is to it.

Be warned Silverstone is not a great circuit for photography, particually from spectator positions. As your in essex i would perhaps look at getting along to Brands Hatch or Snetterton. Both will have test days in the coming months with some interesting cars there.

300mm is a good focal length for a motorsport lens, i believe there is a Sigma that is well regarded and is pretty cheap too.

Yes, practice, post here, ask for comments and help is a good plan.

Also my other top tip would be to look at some quality shots (eg magazines, motorsport series websites) etc, go through the pictures *quickly* and just work out which ones you like and which ones you don't. You don't need any photography skills to do this, use gut feel! Once you have a list of likes, try to work out exactly which bit makes the shots attractive to you and you'll quickly realise what makes a good shot vs the ones you rejected.

Knowing what you are looking for is as important as knowing how to take it, perhaps more so.

Its a process I never stop doing, it always has value.

Back