Getting the colour right advice?

You're a lovely lady but you've clearly never seen Grimethorpe slag heaps.

[/Monty Python] Grimethorpe slag heaps - GRIMETHORPE SLAG HEAPS!! Round our way we'd love to have anything as picturesque as Grimethorpe slag heaps...... All we have are a couple of rocks in't middle of the bypass that we have to put there ourselves in't middle of rush hour! [/Monty Python]

More seriously Cathy - hope you're realising from the advice here that getting the great end result involves a chain of events......
-Seeing the photo - to be honest I think you've already got a pretty good eye here
-Setting the camera to capture what you see
-Post production - not cheating - if you use RAW then an amount of computer work is the default and expected. How far you take it is up to you.

There IS a lot to take in initially - but keep plugging away - things WILL fall into place.

I deliberately missed one bit out of the chain - the first bit - and that is LIGHT - a photographer is totally dependant on light as in reality this is all you are capturing. Again from the posts in this thread I think this is becoming evident to you. Start with great light and the other links in the chain are that much stronger.........

Phil I think you were pulling my leg? or am I missing something.All I found was one amazing sunset! and lots of trains..LOL!! Hey it is fun being part of this forum.

Chris it is coming together and i have my new Understanding Exposure book to read too.

Like a new washing machine it is so much easier just to be shown what buttons to press.
I moved to auto just to see what it was giving but when I went to AV OR TP and copied the settings beat I could it was nothing like what it should be. So I followed the info given and took a reading from sky,land,and sea and took several different shots working through all the exposures.My poor wee fingers were blue with the cold it was freezing and very windy but hey ho! I need to learn.

However I do have a much better understanding and why light is better at Sunrise and Sunset. I arrived at the beach this morning an hour earlier! :( than I needed to be and had plenty of time to watch the sky change and see the huge difference in the clouds and the surrounding scenery.Should have taken my time and checked when sunrise was.LOL!

Just had a read through the whole thread, a great read and very informative. Only advice I can give you Cathy is to keep at it, im pretty new to all this and seeing the stunning images on this forum made me wonder 'will I ever be able to do that'....but.....they all had to start somewhere :) ..... The biggest step I took was shooting in RAW and doing a few tweaks in photoshop elements (it's easier in there for my non computer brain)... I'll keep an eye on this thread so I can learn more aswell (y)

Glad you enjoyed the thread Martin the help and guidance has been so welcome for a slow learner like me :) It takes me a few times but once i get it I really get it! not got it yet though!

I have always used photoshop to play with Lightroom is bran new and it takes me ages now to find my photos but I am watching you tube now to help get me organised .I love the way everyone can enhance their work in Lightroom it is amazing.
I have been trying to enhance clouds tonight with an older picture taken at the wrong time of day really and using Photoshops Burn tool it was fun I had no idea you could do this.Lots of practice and not giving in i guess I really don't want to go back to constant auto now.

My digital art NOT! but fun to try. Just to show I really am trying I am just a little slow:)

Golf Flag by cooriedoon, on Flickr

Last edited:
You mentioned that you should have looked to see what time sunrise was, Cathy.

If you don't know this -

http://photoephemeris.com/

have a look.

It give the times and the direction of sun rise and set and overlays them on a map and it is free for PC and Macs.

It and the OS map of an area are really helpful for landscape photography.

Dave

Cathy, Dave's quite right here. I didnt really look at the first image and just responded to the questions being asked. DDave's edit shows your shot looked perfectly good.

I rarely delete images unless they are really poor.

Ayr kids not too far away from me. Think I need to take a visit down that way in the new year :)

Dave thanks for the super link now have it on my iPhone :) if there are any others that are useful please feel free to share. I did download a light meter one not tried it yet though. I think I have enough to learn my camera meter first.

I was so sure sunrise was around 7.30 :) but I should have checked before I left. The light even at this time up here is not really great because of the weather rain rain and more rain . Roll on summer!

JIm thank you for your kind comments but to be honest if they had all been in focus I can honestly say I would have had quite a few amazing shots from that morning shoot but having used the remote for the first time and forgetting to turn my lens to manual they were all bad nothing was crystal sharp.

My husband loves golf and always enjoys walks at Turnberry and my mission is to get a really good shot good enough to print out for him and taken by me! Now there's a laugh :) but never say never the next good day I will be back there at sunrise and spend another three hours trying. If you or anyone else for that matter do come up this way it would be nice to meet up if you have time. Talking of which are there any other members from around my area that do meet up?

Last edited:
I did download a light meter one not tried it yet though. I think I have enough to learn my camera meter first.
Don't use that - Tried it and compared it to my lightmeter and it was rubbish (just a gimmick)

Talking of which are there any other members from around my area that do meet up?

Think there's quite a few on here :)

Cathy, there's lots of advice in the thread, some conflicting, some good some not so good.

As an experienced landscape photographer, here are my bits of advice.

Get to know your camera inside out, know it's strengths & limitations, same goes for your lenses, so when you come to take your shots, you are not spending your time having to think too much about the camera's controls, shutter speed, aperture etc, they will come naturally, leaving you to concentrate on whats important-composition & light.

I use aperture priority (a/v) for 95% of my landscape photography, rarely use manual exposure (find no need of it), for me aperture is the most important variable, as I generally use a tripod, shutter speed can take care of itself.
Similarly with manual focus, again find no need for it, modern DSLR have such good autofocus systems that you can rely on them 99% of the time, the only exception is in very poor light when the lens may 'hunt' for focus lock.

If you are serious about landscapes, you need to invest in a set of ND grads. Cokin, Lee & Hitech or all recognized manufacturers. Yes, you can stack your images, taking different light readings, but generally the results I've seen are less than satisfactory. Plus it takes too much time, while slipping a grad in the lens holder takes seconds. Most serious landscape photographers use grads.

From the two images you posted, it looks as though you have a decent eye for composition, particularly the first. Looking at it on flickr, it looks a little soft, possibly due to shooting at f25. While most of my landscapes are shot at F16 -f22, I use good glass, therefore the lens manages any fall off in quality at small apertures (diffraction), unless you are using a good lens, f25 is really pushing it. To get the longer shutter speeds, I'd go when the light is lower and shoot around f11, alternatively an ordinary ND filter.

Lastly, keep an eye on your horizons, both look as though they are on ski slopes :), easily put right in LR or PS

Someone will have an issue with this advice, but what do you know about HDR?

Set up a tripod and take a few shots from exactly the same scenario, but stick the camera on manual, and actively take multiple exposures of shots (a few stops of coverage will probably be about right) Then use LR or similar to stack all the shots into a single shot.

I should say that HDR is VERY easy to completely over do, but get it right and you'll get both sky and foreground at the correct exposure :)

It's by no means a substitute for filters if you want to do this long run, but you might find it works well for you for achieving that one perfect shot.

It's certainly worth a read and try. Even if you try it a few times and don't think it's for you.

(Google is your friend on how to do HDR both taking shots, and processing them into a single image)

kd

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone and all the best for 2013

Les thank you for your very welcome advice. I have never done any landscape until recently i was just a happy snapper who always used auto, so this is me really just taking my photography to a new level. Turnberry was my first real go at landscape i had no idea then about horizons etc but do now . i am being patient and waiting for the next dry day to try again and will make sure that i try to keep my image straight. The first one was taken at sunrise and I may do sunset next time. Filters ? I don't mind trying these so i will get a cheap set just to see what they do .Can you recommend a cheap set for a beginner or would one decent one be better and which would you recommend?

I want to master a Turnberry image and have some experience before I go to Loch Ard as there are many shots to be bad there if you know what you are doing.

Just been to see some of your work Les WOW! You must be so proud I have just looked at the GLencoe ones and loved them.
Thank you Les

KD

Thank you and I will ave to google HDR to get a better understanding of it .
I am happy to play in photoshop and I would also try this. That is once I et some good shots to play with! :)

Many thanks
Cathy

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone and all the best for 2013

Les thank you for your very welcome advice. I have never done any landscape until recently i was just a happy snapper who always used auto, so this is me really just taking my photography to a new level. Turnberry was my first real go at landscape i had no idea then about horizons etc but do now . i am being patient and waiting for the next dry day to try again and will make sure that i try to keep my image straight. The first one was taken at sunrise and I may do sunset next time. Filters ? I don't mind trying these so i will get a cheap set just to see what they do .Can you recommend a cheap set for a beginner or would one decent one be better and which would you recommend?

I want to master a Turnberry image and have some experience before I go to Loch Ard as there are many shots to be bad there if you know what you are doing. i
Thank you Les

KD

Thank you and I will ave to google HDR to get a better understanding of it .
I am happy to play in photoshop and I would also try this. That is once I et some good shots to play with! :)

Many thanks
Cathy

A reasonably decent cheap set are Cokin P filters, around £50 for a full set, see
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...kin/p-series-nd-graduated-kit-77189/show.html
You will need a lens adapter(around £10) depending upon the lens (e.g 52mm/72mm etc) the filter adapter size should be on your lens.

These are fine for most stock lenses, but if you are considering very wide angle lenses then a larger filter should be considered.

Cokin are relatively cheap and cheerful, but generally do the job. While Lee filters are excellent, but they don't come cheap. I use Hitech, which are very good, but you are talking around 3 times the price of Cokin for a similar set.

I would suggest starting off with Cokin and if a couple if years down the line, you got really serious about landscapes, then invest in a better set.

Using filters present their own challenges, and I often bracket shots to get the exposure right (as it's sometimes difficult to judge looking at the camera screen). But it is for me the best way to achieve that crucial balance of exposure.

Last edited:
Like others, I have seen this thread late. I had a quick speed read through the posts.

There are a few ways you can help with the dynamic range of your photo's.

1. HDR. I believe you are going to google this. I am not a fan of HDR but I have to admit, some people can get some very good results with it.

2. Layers, blending, grad tool etc in PS. I am also not a fan as I like to get the shot as perfect as possible whilst it is still sat on my memory card in my camera. Not because I am a purist, it's because I don't enjoy post processing.

3. My favourite. I use the Lee filter system. I only ever use neutral density. (Never coloured) I use neutral density and grad filters. To say that these are no use in anything other than flat horizons is cobblers. You can use either hard grads, soft grads, reverse grads and even inverted grads. The trick is to get to know how and when to use them. Maybe sometimes you will need to do a little dodging in PP to lighten something that is above the horizon but I very rarely have to. It really isn't the case to just compose your image, bang a filter in and job done. It takes a while to get the best from them.

I am primarily a landscape photographer and consider my filters essential. Most of my landscapes are shot at F16 if I want all of the image in focus. Anymore than this and the image will begin to get soft. I use F16 because I am lucky to have good glass. You may find you don't want to go above F14.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

Thank you all I have taken note of all the advice given. At the moment I only have my nifty fifty , the kit lens and my Tamron 70-200

Out of these is the kit lens the best one to get a filter for for now ?

I think I may buy a holder and one filter to try not sure i need a whole set yet. So which one ? i see they all come numbered so what would be a good all rounder to try
if there such a thing?

Just ordered my CPC filter for my kit lens from amazon so that's a start.

Last edited:
My circular polarizing filter has arrived. Should I be keeping it on for every shot while taking landscape or not?
It's ok I have just watched you tube vid and see it s only for very bright light but I will take it with me.

Loch Ard now arranged for tomorrow so hope to get there for sunrise :)

Last edited:
My circular polarizing filter has arrived. Should I be keeping it on for every shot while taking landscape or not?
It's ok I have just watched you tube vid and see it s only for very bright light but I will take it with me.
It isn't only for bright light. It will darken blue skies (best for improving contrast against white cloud), and cut reflections on water. Try it and see.

How did it go at Loch Ard?

Well! I loved every minute of being there it is awesome but I am still not coming home with anything out of my camera that does not need fixing :) too dark,too light, not in focus,etc but it will not put me off I will keep going.
Maybe one day I will be able to meet up with someone who can show me what to do.Gosh I saw so many amazing places but was a little shy to jump fences and get onto jettys etc but maybe next time.Also saw wild goats roaming around and an amazing waterfall!
Here are a couple for you to view.

Loch Ard by cooriedoon, on Flickr

Loch Ard by cooriedoon, on Flickr

Loch Chon by cooriedoon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Every image I take from my camera needs 'fixing' in some way Cathy, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I spend a lot of time gently processing any 'keepers'. most images need some kind of post processing, even if it's cropping/sharpening, it's rare an image works 'straight from the camera'

Nowt much wrong with these images either, with a nice exposure balance to all three.

I'd have been tempted to throw a pebble in the water on the last, the ripples could have helped the composition, either that or find a rock/log in the FG just to anchor the image.

Les thank you and I see what you mean about the third one and the pebble throwing that idea would have worked a treat and I will remember this now for next time.

Last edited:
just a wee note - you're uploading the full resolution images to flickr that are available to all to download. Best to upload smaller images (resize to about 800 pixels longest edge) and/or put a watermark on them.

JIm I will do that thank you.
Not that anyone would want them Lol! Need to go and check out how to water mark them :) Do you mean put the watermark as in copyright into the image info or put some text on top?

Last edited:
A watermark is text on top (up to you if you want to do that). Also useful adding the copyright metadata to the file too (you should be able to set the camera up with that).

Waterfall at Inversnaid.

This is only at the top I was not happy on the bridge looking down as the thunderous noise made me feel the bridge was shaking..LOL! it wasn't. Not great but better than any i have tried before.

I was just worried about my camera :)

Untitled by cooriedoon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back