Getting the most out of what I have

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all hope your doing well I recently purchased a DSLR camera a Sony A300 (not the best I know) also bought a
Sigma DG 70-300mm F/4.0-5.6 DG Lens With Macro. I mainly want to take wildlife pictures with flying birds etc and possibly night sky shots if possible any advice on how to set the camera up would be highly appreciated.

Thankyou :)

Some general things I'd do...

- Shoot raw and process for best effect.
- Use one focus point unless making a clear decision to do something else.
- Use whatever ISO is needed as a noisy shot is IMO better than one that's all blurry or no shot at all.
- Get a wider field of view lens with a wider aperture if you're doing night sky shots. Maybe something like a 18-50mm f2.8.
- Avoid excessive pixel peeping.

Best wishes and good luck with it all.

:D

I don't have any editing software no pc or laptop at the moment and don't know how to change the f stop on the camera

ah. ok. :D But that raises the questions... How are you posting here? :D What are you going to do with your pictures and how are you going to look at them? :D

Do you have a camera manual? If not maybe you can Google your way to one and if you can I'm sure it'll explain how to alter various camera settings you'll want to alter at one time or another.

If you're not going to process raw files and instead are going to shoot jpeg I'm pretty sure there'll be some in camera tweaking you can do... once you've got a look at a manual or figured it out by wading through the menu.

I'm sure you'll get there :D

I don't have any editing software no pc or laptop at the moment and don't know how to change the f stop on the camera

I'll take a guess now and surmise you are using a Smartphone.......................
Here is the link to a pdf file of the manual and hopefully you have enough memory on the phone to download it & read it to learn how to operate the Sony A300
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4133/41334991M.pdf

HTH :)

ah. ok. :D But that raises the questions... How are you posting here? :D What are you going to do with your pictures and how are you going to look at them? :D

Do you have a camera manual? If not maybe you can Google your way to one and if you can I'm sure it'll explain how to alter various camera settings you'll want to alter at one time or another.

If you're not going to process raw files and instead are going to shoot jpeg I'm pretty sure there'll be some in camera tweaking you can do... once you've got a look at a manual or figured it out by wading through the menu.

I'm sure you'll get there :D

@Thatladfromwigan
Chris

It might be an idea to tell us a little about what you have been using to take photographs before you got the A300

Without a PC to transfer your pictures to, what were you hoping to do with the pictures you take with the A300...............because you will soon fill up any memory card that you put in the camera so will need to store your pictures somewhere?

Last edited:
Back