Getting to the top of google???

DinoS

Hmmmmm.......Paste!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

A week ago or so if i typed in my website visualise the world in google it used to be the second site. now even if i search it visualisetheworld (no spaces) TALKPHOTOGRAPHY comes up as the top hit.

argggghhhhhhh

now it isn't even on there!

why?

how can i get it back up, does it count on hits or ??????

thanks

Mark

It's picking up your posts to different web sites..

See it's all your fault. :LOL:

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to overcome this, assuming you want to keep your screen name

By the way your No 3 now

google works in sophisticated ways...

party it works by what you write in the MetaTags at the top of your HTML

also works partly on how many websites link to your website.

so if your website is www.example.co.uk - if it was linked to by 100 other websites it would be higher than if it only had 4 other links

now even if i type in visualisetheworld.co.uk it only finds talk photography. :bang::bang::bang:

so how can i get it back on there, help needed

did you not read my post? hehe, there was a clue or two in there.

even on forums never type... visualisetheworld.co.uk

always type http://www.visualisetheworld.co.uk as a link.

/edit/ so google sees how popular your site is by the number of websites linking to it. As far as google is concerned i've just recommended your website, therefore more popular, higher up the search ratings.

Obviously one link wont do anything, you need to do this A LOT on multiple different sites to make any difference

Hi

Our site did that for a while for davenjulie, it still does if I type dave n julie where it used to be #1 but now it comes back up with our site, for davenjulie, as well as all the other sites I have accounts on

How do i get the meta tags,

and i need to get lots of links from other websites. ok will try doing that soon.

the meta tags are in the <head> section... it's the keywords and the bit of writing that comes up on google underneath the link. Do a google on how to use them properly.

Thanks, as soon as it is up and running properly i will do so,

I didnt mean join loads of site with your user name visualisetheworld, as someone said it will pull up others too, if not first,

yes your right about meta tags though, research what words and phrases, comes up that are relevant to your site and use them in in your tags, and use those words and phrases on your home page, and submit your site to lots of search engines as well as the main ones google yahoo, msn, also get reciprocal link to high ranked sites. if you can those that are linked by inktomi

google works in sophisticated ways...

party it works by what you write in the MetaTags at the top of your HTML

also works partly on how many websites link to your website.

so if your website is www.example.co.uk - if it was linked to by 100 other websites it would be higher than if it only had 4 other links

This isn't accurate enough.

The links MUST be relevant. It's sophisticated as you say, but it's clever enough to remove sites that are part of link farming.

However at the end of the day the one that that is consistent about how Google works is the content on your site and its relevance. Meta tags are no longer the most important part of SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

Put lots of key words in the meta tags. The more you add the more your site will match the search you put in ;)

Worst advice ever lol. This is not entirely true. The meta tags you need really do need to be relevant to your site content. Don't stick random keywords in otherwise you'll be punished and your site will be deliberately relegated a few pages by Google.

"Sports Photography" last time I looked I was second on google for that phrase....

Sorry... just showing off :)

"Sports Photography" last time I looked I was second on google for that phrase....

Don't look now then. ;)

Put lots of key words in the meta tags. The more you add the more your site will match the search you put in ;)

what would you reccommend kayjay

There are few things you can do to improve the search ranking of your site and one of the most important is making sure the site is accessible. Google likes accessible sites... this means that if you have flash content make sure there is some sort of fallback content on your site that is displayed to those that don't have flash, have flash disabled of if you have lots of textual content in your flash. Google indexes that fall back content.

Also make sure that the content on your site is consistent to what the site is meant to be about. If it's photography try and keep the content as closely related to photography as possible. This way any photography sites linking to you will help your rankings because those links are all relevant links. Your site is going to perform a lot better on the web if it has 100 links from other photography sites than 100 links from random websites.

With regards to your meta tags, make sure they too are relevant to your content. Also make sure those meta tags appear in your actual site content somewhere but do not overdo it. Make sure they are used appropriately. If you have 'landscape' as a meta tag, make sure it appears perhaps 5 or 6 times throughout your site. Don't saturate it as Google will recognize this as an attempt to cheat the system.

Make sure your navigation is textual and can be navigated by a search engine. If you have flash navigation make sure you have another version in your fallback content which is HTML only. Those html navigation links will be trawled by the search engine robots.

Make sure all your images have alt tags, your links have title tags.

Also try not to spam your site address on too many forums as this is considered bad form on the internet :)

Most of the advice I've given here related to pretty much all the good search engines and not just Google. Of course Google has it's own way of thinking and so this advice shouldn't be thought of as gospel, but it will get you started.

I can go on for days but my cuppa is getting cold. If you need anymore advice please don't hesitate to ask :)

hi jacking a little. just googled our site, and we came up on the wedding network. didnt even know we were on that.:eek:

we have teamed up with a few others in "the trade" and swapped links.
supprising where our analyst thingy says we get linked in from.
florists, wedding cake makers, even wedding car and chocolate fountain guy.(yes we shoot weddings)
definitely something to try. works for us.

Don't look now then. ;)

refresh.. they put a couple of paid top.. there not there when ya refresh.. so when i go i am 2nd...would that sound right?

As already mentioned its pretty complicated, several factors can influence its position....

I managed to get a pretty high position by exchanging links with other relevant sites & also some of the more high ranking web directories.

You need to identify the best "keywords" to use too... there's lots of info on google about this too

simon

What I don't understand is why you want the *name* of your website to be ranked highly by Google. I really would be intrigued to know why you think people who type "visualisetheworld.co.uk" into google need help finding you...? Does your site specifically cater for very stupid people? :D

I mean, take mine for example. I figure that anyone who is looking for "lensesforhire" could probably find us without the help of Google. So I'm much more interested to know where we rank for more plausible search strings like "canon lens hire uk". What are the equivalently plausible search strings for your site?

If you do nothing else, you must register your website with ODP

I've bumped this back up because this it sooooooo important. Really, this is the one single thing you should do, above all else.

The Open Directory is the most widely distributed data base of Web content classified by humans. Its editorial standards body of net-citizens provide the collective brain behind resource discovery on the Web. The Open Directory powers the core directory services for the Web's largest and most popular search engines and portals, including Netscape Search, AOL Search, Google, Lycos, HotBot, DirectHit, and hundreds of others.

Randomly, if you type in 'Adam Tranter' into Google my website isn't near the top (adamtranter.com) - But if you type in 'Freelance journalist, Coventry' I'm at #1 spot!

The other thing is: Adwords. We use these and they are certainly worth every penny for the new business they bring in.

Hi

Looks like google thinks this site is more relevant than yours, this is becuase (I'm guessing) its such a bigger site, more links, content etc. Here are some SEO tips...

(remember it will take a while to get back up top)

http://www.submitexpress.co.uk/tips.html
http://www.ezau.com/latest/articles/0147.shtml

Also, sign up to google webmaster tools and add a sitemap. Instructions can be found on google when your signed in.

Another thing, but I dont know if this allowed by the forum - better check first - but add a link to your site in your signature, this will appear on all your posts an certainly help your rankings. But dont just post to get more links - otherwise you'll become a SPAMMER! Remeber to link to your site with whatever word you want to rank for.

Hope this helps!

Josh

Good advice on this thread ...don't over-do your key words peeps ...google can tell. (y)

I have to admit that SEO is something that has puzzled me for a while and whenever you try searching for answers, all you find is lots of companies that want to charge you to get your website up there in the search engine race. :shrug:

We should chat about this then Yv ... I know loads about it, best thing we can do is something specific for you and your site. (y)

:D

Second, pah ...both my sites come in at the top. ;)

sorry , just showing off too... :D

My site on the local village www.adlington.info is number one if you search for adlington.

Now as I understand it google not only reads the Meta data but also reads the page and your site for the search word.

You want to give google time to move you up the list, my site has been running 10 years or so, but it was not #1 the first day. :LOL:

I don't know how but searching for my site google list my sub pages along with the index page all at #1.

This isn't accurate enough.
Worst advice ever lol. This is not entirely true. The meta tags you need really do need to be relevant to your site content. Don't stick random keywords in otherwise you'll be punished and your site will be deliberately relegated a few pages by Google.

Words that are to do with your site, not just random ones haha :razz:

The other thing is: Adwords. We use these and they are certainly worth every penny for the new business they bring in.

Just sorted this out. Thought I had before but clearly not. I went in a £30 to start with. How long did it take for you to start seeing the effects, ie hits on your site and your site on the listings?

Back