Getting trackside

Edit My Images
No
All after some advise as I've been asking around and getting stone walled ...

I've been shooting Motorsport as a passionate (obsessed) armature for a while now I really need to get track side to take things to the next level , I work as a photographer but mostly portrait and weddings and a little commercial . I have all my insurances up to 2 mill personal injury that I've been told I need , if any kind pro Motorsport guys or girls could advise me on my next step I would be forever in your debt

Fred

You need to be working and getting your Motorsport images published.

I registered my insurance with Lydden Hill circuit and they give you a vest. They only charge if you are planning on making sales. No mention of having to be published. Just call the circuits you plan on visiting and ask them for advice.

The important insurance that circuits are looking for is £5m public liability insurance.

To get trackside access, you need to show that your work is good enough to be published and this typically means providing evidence of 3 to 12 examples of relevant published work from the previous 12 months. You also need to prove that you work will be published, and this usually means providing a letter from an editor of a magazine or newspaper that you will be working for them covering a specific series, team or driver (regional newspapers usually like coverage of local drivers). You will need to apply separately for each round at all the different circuits, which means doing a bit of homework to find out who to send your application to.

Unless you are very fortunate, you shouldn't expect to be covering British GT, BTCC or superbikes for the first year or two. You are more likely to have success following one or two of the less prestigious or junior series for a season or two, getting to know the circuits, drivers, series organisers etc. This will mean a lot of hard work, driving hundreds of miles most weekends and then supplying work of sufficient quality in time for publication deadlines which in some cases will be less than a few hours after the race has finished or at latest the next morning.

It's not impossible to achieve this, but it will involve a lot of work, and you'll be lucky to cover the cost of your lunch, let alone any travel or accommodation expenses.

I notice you do a lot of wedding work, and you may find a conflict of interest as most weddings take place during the Motorsport season. Series organisers will give preference to those who can cover most or all of the rounds.

1. Letter of accreditation from the editor of some kind of printed media. Websites and teams rarely cut it, but a lot of rubbish is talked about people 'getting in' because they are shooting for a team.

2. Published images. Normally anywhere from 3 to 6. Quality of the images has nothing to do with getting accredited. If a paper is stupid enough to publish it then thats fine!

3. 5m PLI - Simples.

4. Contact the media officer at the circuit you wish to photograph at and ask for a single event media application.

At the end of the day the media officer at that circuit gets the final say, this is how they try to prevent unsuitable media covering huge events. Having said which the above is the same for every single event i've applied for on a single event basis. That includes DTM, WTCC, BTCC, BSB right down to 750MC. My first accredited event was BTCC, but i had a good portfolio of published images with a large chain of papers.

What counts as published media? Is it just national/local newspapers and magazines or would club magazines count as well?

I've just joined a local motor club as their photographer, it's a start and I hope to make some contacts and for my name to get around and it's allowed me to get trackside a couple of times already. I've been published their monthly magazine but also in several other disctricts' and clubs' magazines. As these aren't widely distributed and for members only I've always assumed these don't count?

fred. getting trackside is no guarantee that you will get better pictures. It can actually be limiting.
You often can't just move from one place to the next when you are "the other side of the fence"

As others have said most circuits look at £5m PLI and look for accreditation to a recognised publication.

What counts as published media? Is it just national/local newspapers and magazines or would club magazines count as well?

I've just joined a local motor club as their photographer, it's a start and I hope to make some contacts and for my name to get around and it's allowed me to get trackside a couple of times already. I've been published their monthly magazine but also in several other disctricts' and clubs' magazines. As these aren't widely distributed and for members only I've always assumed these don't count?

I think it gives an idea of what they consider 'printed media' in the application form. I can't remember/comment on what it says as i've not seen one of the 2012 forms.

At the end of the day the worst they can say is no.

But it is getting to the point with a lot of series that they are allowing literally hundreds of photographers trackside. This won't last long and unfortunately i suspect most series will eventually go like BSB and you have to prove published images after each round (from the previous one you attended) that realistically will see a lot of media unable to make the standard. However if a member of the media isn't bringing anything they shouldn't be there, they are just an unjustified safety issue.

I think it gives an idea of what they consider 'printed media' in the application form. I can't remember/comment on what it says as i've not seen one of the 2012 forms.

Had a quick look through the forms... BSB... they say:

◦The publication must have existed for at least three consecutive editions and must be on general sale to the public across Britain.
◦Club magazines/publications will not normally be accredited. In the case of free distribution publications, the guideline is a minimum distribution of 250,000 copies.

And then additionally the general MSV form says:

Websites: MSV will accredit websites/electronic media at its exclusive discretion, for which MSV may charge a rights fee. (Guidance:
web-sites reproducing only press releases will not normally be considered, and those which sell photographs will be required to be
licensed, additional to the photographer supplying the images).

The bottom line is that what the organisers want is publicity... if you are there to capture images for media outlets then thats useful to them. Building your portfolio or sticking them on your own photography website or flickr doesn't help them...

i'm going to disagree with some of the stuff written here.

If you want to go trackside for a particular race for anything up to f1, you dont need to be any good, you dont need published photos, you can (but shouldnt) get away without insurance. You dont even need a decent camera.

The only thing thats important is who your photos are for. The more publicity you can give the series the better. Most series organisers love print more than websites, and an accreditation letter from a local newspaper will get you a long way.

Yes, as Gary says you don't need photos of your own published, but the publication giving your accreditation will need them.

For example, I managed to get MotoGP without having done MotoGP because the editor I was working for had regular MotoGP articles and Dorna were fine with that.

Had I gone along with a letter from the editor of Cosmopolitan/Kerrang/Computer Weekly, who had never run a MotoGP story maybe the situation would be different...

The other day I was standing next to a (nameless) media officer and he was going through his email, having been away for an event most of the morning. He said that he must get a dozen emails a day from people asking for a media pass...

Hi - I am bit of a lurker on here but got a quick question...

How are you meant to get trackside by having photos published at previous events? The event's I've been to (mainly BTCC) all have restrictions that all photos should be for private use.

Bit of a catch 22 isn't it? Or are there lower divisions which don't have these restrictions?

Sorry if bit a nooby question!

Most circuits place restrictions on who can go trackside for obvious reasons. Otherwise everybody with a camera would be there. Whilst I am not disagreeing with Gary, my experience as somebody who has been involved in organising race meetings, is £5M PLI and accreditation to a reconised publication.

Most organising clubs have to go through the circuit owners for approval. The top level tends to work the other way and you approach the series organisers (That is not necessarily the organising club)

How are you meant to get trackside by having photos published at previous events? The event's I've been to (mainly BTCC) all have restrictions that all photos should be for private use.

Bit of a catch 22 isn't it? Or are there lower divisions which don't have these restrictions?

You can still get published images when not trackside. Barely any printed media pays for images anyway.

You can still get published images when not trackside. Barely any printed media pays for images anyway.

So is it published..thats it? not published and proof of paid for? I ahve licences for other sports that require invoices and proof of payment..

Nope, simply a clipping. Motorsports is still slightly based in reality (of their own mess perhaps) unlike some of the football accreditation I've encountered!

Having said which, because of this there is also a value on football images, whereas there is no value on motorsports images now.

In most papers motorsport is what they print when there isn't any football... until that changes (if ever hahaha!) then its a pretty sorry part of photography...

Fortune seekers look elsewhere!

Does this only apply at certain events/levels? Like i said, Lydden havent asked for anything other than PLI and confirmation as to whether the images will be sold or not.

Lydden is a one off organisation wise. Owned by someone who is perhaps more of a motorsports driver/fan than a businessman (as far as Lydden is concerned)

Most circuits place restrictions on who can go trackside for obvious reasons. Otherwise everybody with a camera would be there. Whilst I am not disagreeing with Gary, my experience as somebody who has been involved in organising race meetings, is £5M PLI and accreditation to a reconised publication.

Most organising clubs have to go through the circuit owners for approval. The top level tends to work the other way and you approach the series organisers (That is not necessarily the organising club)

i have £5m PLI nowadays because its a good idea to have it anyway, but I've been doing this for approx 7 years now and in the first 5 years i was only asked once for a certificate (at a test day) and they let me in when i said i left it at home.
The only times i've needed to show it since is for 1 year season passes. Didnt even get asked for it at F1 testing or 6 years of Le Mans.
But dont get me wrong, i recommend having it.

see previous posts.. you dont need any published photos. in fact it doesnt matter if you never seen a camera before.

My first gig was a Champ Car race with a Sony Cybershot 2 mega pixel

I would disagree with that one Gary. On all the media applications for MSV/R events you need x number of published images (including your MSV season pass). I think you also have to provide your proof of PLI with the application now as well.

I have found PLI has become a requirement more and more over the last 12 months. Previously i believe circuits would insure the photographers (certainly all MSVR rounds before last year never required it) however it is now a requirement for securing one of their passes, as it is at most circuits. I've held my PLI for 4 years now, and 4 years ago i wouldn't of paid for it if i didn't absolutely need it. From memory it was BSB and Thruxton that required it.

However, some events outside of the UK are different, DTM, WTCC etc.. these are more down to personal judgements by the media officers as to if you are suitable media.

Last edited:
dunganick said:
I would disagree with that one Gary. On all the media applications for MSV/R events you need x number of published images (including your MSV season pass). I think you also have to provide your proof of PLI with the application now as well.

I have found PLI has become a requirement more and more over the last 12 months. Previously i believe circuits would insure the photographers (certainly all MSVR rounds before last year never required it) however it is now a requirement for securing one of their passes, as it is at most circuits. I've held my PLI for 4 years now, and 4 years ago i wouldn't of paid for it if i didn't absolutely need it. From memory it was BSB and Thruxton that required it.

However, some events outside of the UK are different, DTM, WTCC etc.. these are more down to personal judgements by the media officers as to if you are suitable media.

Ok so I need to get some of my work published , how do I do that as I have never tried to get images published before I only do commissioned portrait/commercial work and small events .

I don't care about making mega money or fame I just want to do the thing that brought me to photography in the first place .

ahh, but thats what it says on the form, not necessarily what you actually need to do ;)
was going to post an example but then decided i probably shouldnt

here's a good one. Just filling it in now.
Does contradict what I've been saying though about not having to prove you are a photographer:

• Accreditation requirements: Please add the following documents to your accreditation application:
1. ThecopyofapressIDcarddrawnupbyacknowledgedassociations.
2. Theoriginalofaneditorialorderspeciallyissuedfortheevent.
3. Creditedevidenceofyourjournalisticactivities(suchascopiesofreportsorpublishedpictures).
4. Shouldyouhavebeenaccreditedalreadyforlastyear’sevent,pleaseaddevidenceofyourworkdeliveredthattime. It must be possible to purchase the respective media via public sale. Unfortunately, advertising agencies, club and company magazines can’t be accredited. The number of accreditations per editorial office depends on the respective media’s print run (IVW statement necessary).
• Photographers: For a photo accreditation, we need published evidence of your occupation as press photographer. In the case of photo agencies and online picture galleries, evidence must be provided with evidence that the pictures were published in print media or at IVW checked websites.
• Websites: Website contributors can only be accredited if the online user data are IVW confirmed or can be reproducibly proven otherwise.

I struggle to see the distinction there... Unless you are reading between the lines "evidence must be provided with evidence that the pictures were published in print media"

Seems pretty to the point. Certainly MSVR are very keen on you forfilling exactly all the requirements. Most other circuits as well in my experience. Anyway, i'm sure the OP will be able to draw his own opinion if he applies.

I struggle to see the distinction there... Unless you are reading between the lines "evidence must be provided with evidence that the pictures were published in print media"

Seems pretty to the point. Certainly MSVR are very keen on you forfilling exactly all the requirements. Most other circuits as well in my experience. Anyway, i'm sure the OP will be able to draw his own opinion if he applies.

My point is that if you have a box brownie and are working for The Daily Mirror, they arent going to say 'sorry, you dont have any previous photos published'.

Fair point. Although i still wouldnt be surprised if BSB turned you down for not meeting the criteria...

I also suspect OP wont be working with the Mirror first time out, so maybe is best off working the published images angle ;)

I don't care about making mega money or fame I just want to do the thing that brought me to photography in the first place .

Which was what though - shooting Motorsport from the spectator banking and in the paddock / pit lane - or even just watching ?

I shot a lot off the banking when I was much younger, and through a press agency worked inside the barriers on a several occasions. I actually have a lot more enjoyment of the sport shooting without accreditation than with and for my purposes there is very little difference in the quality and often the viewpoint - it might just need another 100-150mm on the lens.....

If you are not in it to make some money then honestly you should leave the bibs to the people that *need* them.

Just another point. Most pro photographers insurance excludes trackside usage unless you add a specific premium/exemption. From the edge of the outside of the fencing you're covered on normal policies.

Last edited:
dunganick said:

I now see I need to work on getting some of my work (taken from general public access) published , how do I go about this'll as Haven't ever tried to get images printed before I work mostly on commissioned projects .

Some of the tog's I have dealt with have made contact with a local driver, done an article about them and submitted those with a few pics to a the local press (often a photograph by itself is not sufficient)
Look at "in house" type of publications, either photographs of a driver who also works for them or somebody they sponsor. Whilst not always taken as published work, it all helps when starting out. So when asked by a potential "client" have you ever had any of your work published you won't be lying.

Some of the tog's I have dealt with have made contact with a local driver, done an article about them and submitted those with a few pics to a the local press (often a photograph by itself is not sufficient)
Look at "in house" type of publications, either photographs of a driver who also works for them or somebody they sponsor. Whilst not always taken as published work, it all helps when starting out. So when asked by a potential "client" have you ever had any of your work published you won't be lying.

thats the perfect way to do it

Best start is to obtain the £5 million PLI and approach a circuits media chap asking for trackside access for test days only as you don't need previous material or editorial letter then.
Well that's what I did and now I'm getting series accreditation

Best start is to obtain the £5 million PLI and approach a circuits media chap asking for trackside access for test days only as you don't need previous material or editorial letter then.
Well that's what I did and now I'm getting series accreditation

who let you in? this is a classy establishment!

munch said:

Ok I will look for a driver nearby , any other ways to get work published ?...thanks for all the advice so far people

Back