Getty Image request..

Cg_Girl

Jamie Oliver's best friend.
Name
T.
Edit My Images
Yes
I guess i need to read up and find out a bit more about this as although i have seen it mentioned and done a quick search, i'm still none the wiser...

but for me in my situation with loads going on right now.. this has made me smile just to be asked:D

Just to make it clearer they have requested 10 images to consider adding..

Last edited:
Am I to assume that Getty have contacted you and asked you to submit work to them for future possible re licensing ?

If so, read their terms and understand how much you'll actually make from the agreement etc before /if you sign up.

Congrats all the same though, it's nice to have someone value your work......but even better to sell it :D

I guess i need to read up and find out a bit more about this as although i have seen it mentioned and done a quick search, i'm still none the wiser...

but for me in my situation with loads going on right now.. this has made me smile just to be asked:D

Well done. They're having some tech issues at the moment. I hope you can respond to the request, should you want to. I've had 3 separate requests, for 16 photos, since Aug 22nd and not one has appeared in my account for processing.

Am I to assume that Getty have contacted you and asked you to submit work to them for future possible re licensing ?

If so, read their terms and understand how much you'll actually make from the agreement etc before /if you sign up.

Congrats all the same though, it's nice to have someone value your work......but even better to sell it :D

Thank you..Yes they've requested 10 so far, i should really have made it a bit clearer, i shall edit and read up so i know whats what... obviously selling would be bloody lovely, but just to receive the email and have some notice has made me grin like an idiot:D

Well done. They're having some tech issues at the moment. I hope you can respond to the request, should you want to. I've had 3 separate requests, for 16 photos, since Aug 22nd and not one has appeared in my account for processing.

Thank you muchly, i'm going to read up before replying and who knows what will come off it but it is nice to be asked isn't it:D

You only take home 20% of the sale price and the sales are all in US dollars, so have to compete with the exchange rate. Its completely luck based though if you actually get sales, which are shown via the getty contributor login on their website on the royalties tab, which updates roughly on the 20th of every month. If you get over the threshhold payment level, you'll get paid the amount the following month.

Need hundreds of photos on getty and a lot of luck to make some decent cash, so don't be disappointed if it takes a few months for your work to be sold! Any more questions, feel free to PM (also a getty contributor for over a year now)

You only take home 20% of the sale price and the sales are all in US dollars, so have to compete with the exchange rate. Its completely luck based though if you actually get sales, which are shown via the getty contributor login on their website on the royalties tab, which updates roughly on the 20th of every month. If you get over the threshhold payment level, you'll get paid the amount the following month.

Need hundreds of photos on getty and a lot of luck to make some decent cash, so don't be disappointed if it takes a few months for your work to be sold! Any more questions, feel free to PM (also a getty contributor for over a year now)

Thanks James, i'm going to read it thoroughly in the morning, in all honesty i assumed sale wise was hit and miss, i think it's the recognition that is the coolest though... if i get stuck i'll PM you, thanks for the offer:D

Nice one Trace!....brilliant to be asked even if you don't make loadsa wonga ;)

I got approached a while back for 6. Unfortunately 3 of them had people in and so required a model release which was impossible as they were of strangers who were just in frame in shots taken on holiday. The other 3 were easy to sort though.

Never really thought much of it after I submitted them. I did have a remittance through recently for about £45. Nothing really but no effort involved and they were just shots taken for pleasure in the first place. Ended up buying my wife a pair of shoes with it :thinking:

and 30% for RM (rights managed) sales.. I've been a contributor for a few years, its been a good experience on the whole.. Its not for everyone but I don't submit to other agencies etc so the % I get is better than the zero I was getting for my photos just sitting on flickr :)

Nice one Trace!....brilliant to be asked even if you don't make loadsa wonga ;)

Thank you Martyn! yes it's the recognition that's ace!:D

Well done, they approached me a few months back, great feeling ain't it :)

Thank you, it sure is!:D:D

I got approached a while back for 6. Unfortunately 3 of them had people in and so required a model release which was impossible as they were of strangers who were just in frame in shots taken on holiday. The other 3 were easy to sort though.

That's a shame isn't it but still the being asked is nice isn't it

Never really thought much of it after I submitted them. I did have a remittance through recently for about £45. Nothing really but no effort involved and they were just shots taken for pleasure in the first place. Ended up buying my wife a pair of shoes with it :thinking:

Awwww lucky wife! well done!(y)

and 30% for RM (rights managed) sales.. I've been a contributor for a few years, its been a good experience on the whole.. Its not for everyone but I don't submit to other agencies etc so the % I get is better than the zero I was getting for my photos just sitting on flickr :)

yep that's true and all recognition is nice isn't it :D

yep that's true and all recognition is nice isn't it :D

it sure is.. great when you find how sales have been used.. I got a book delivered recently which had my image on the cover from a getty sale, that was really nice, name credited too :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michy66/9555274528/

you should have been automatically added to the getty contributors group on flickr, that's useful to look at too so see how it works, what is selling and getting selected etc

it sure is.. great when you find how sales have been used.. I got a book delivered recently which had my image on the cover from a getty sale, that was really nice, name credited too :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michy66/9555274528/

you should have been automatically added to the getty contributors group on flickr, that's useful to look at too so see how it works, what is selling and getting selected etc

Oh how lovely i bet that made you smile, such a lovely shot too(y)

when you created an account did you use your own name so it's that that gets printed if you get credited or did you use a username like here?

when you created an account did you use your own name so it's that that gets printed if you get credited or did you use a username like here?

When you process a photo for Getty you are asked how you want the copyright notice to read.

When you process a photo for Getty you are asked how you want the copyright notice to read.

Ah ok excellent thank you.. i didn't want to put Cg_Girl when i would rather have my name if anything did come of it(y)

Well done. You have some cracking images on Flickr. Can I ask what lenses you use with your 550D?

thanks, have had 3 book covers.. one only in print in argentina as far as I can see so don't have that one, some contributors have loads! :)

this ^ ;)

Mich your stuff is great. Do you shoot specifically with Getty in mind? I don't, but they've now got a couple of hundred of my shots and I am wondering if I should actually make a concerted effort when it comes to stock photography.

Well done. You have some cracking images on Flickr. Can I ask what lenses you use with your 550D?

Thank you! it is just a kit lens but the 18-135mm

Mich your stuff is great. Do you shoot specifically with Getty in mind? I don't, but they've now got a couple of hundred of my shots and I am wondering if I should actually make a concerted effort when it comes to stock photography.

That's actually a good question and agree Mich you do have some lovely stuff... it probably pays to bare in mind the kind of things that perhaps is wanted

hmm, not really these days.. lost a bit of mojo recently and haven't shot much at all.. hoping a camera swap i'm in the process of making will change that..

I do throw out some obvious stuff every now and then such as the table top stuff, cups of coffee sell well :wacky:

In general I always try to be aware of logos, brands in shots and if random people are in view that they are in silhouette or blurred if no releases for shots I might try to get invited..

hmm, not really these days.. lost a bit of mojo recently and haven't shot much at all.. hoping a camera swap i'm in the process of making will change that..

I do throw out some obvious stuff every now and then such as the table top stuff, cups of coffee sell well :wacky:

In general I always try to be aware of logos, brands in shots and if random people are in view that they are in silhouette or blurred if no releases for shots I might try to get invited..

I hope you do get it back, nothing worse than a lost mojo

I hope you do get it back, nothing worse than a lost mojo

think we all have times like that, sure it will pass :)

good luck if you decide to sign up.. its a rollercoaster of a ride at times but I've enjoyed it (y)

Hmm, just had an approach to use six of mine ... guess I also had better read their T&C's

Looks like it's sole rights to Getty?
Is it worth the sale?

Gramps I have 22 images up with Getty, got £130 from them last month, £33 this month. The average of the two is around what I've been making for the past year per month.

Getty do take the lions share and its something that I've had to get my head around. There is obviously an argument against it but they reach a far wider audience than I could perhaps on my own get to.

Once the initial uploading and general sorting out of your images is done, it then becomes a waiting game.

Good luck (y)

I had a request for 10 of my images last week.

Had a few issues uploading TIF files though......is it better to upload in JPEG? They ask for the highest resolution images you have so thought it was a given that they'd accept TIF files.

I uploaded hi resolution jpegs Danny, I am not sure about other formats.

I too have had a request for a number of mine, how have people got on with it since signing up? What are good and bad things of the T&C's?

I will read up, just good to get other peoples thoughts

Back