Is the GH5s passable as a stills camera

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at buying either the GH5 or the GH5s primarily for video. Now I know that for most aspects of video the GH5s is the superior camera, but I also know that it takes a big kick in the groin in terms of pixels too.
Whilst I'd be primarily using the camera for video, I would also be using it for timelapses and occasionally still images.
Now whilst I would obviously want the stills to be the best possible, I'm not sure I can sacrifice the low light and slow-mo capabilities of the GH5s so my question is, is the GH5s good 'enough'.

What I'm really struggling to find online is a direct image comparison between the two cameras. A set of well taken identical photos on each camera side by side. Could anyone direct me to such a thing?

Whilst I'd be primarily using the camera for video, I would also be using it for timelapses and occasionally still images.
You don't need to worry about timelapses. A timelapse is just a type of video, so you won't need anything more than video resolution for that.

What do you plan to do with your occasional still images? If you don't want to print them huge or crop them to death, won't 10 megapixels be enough for most uses?

You don't need to worry about timelapses. A timelapse is just a type of video, so you won't need anything more than video resolution for that.
Yeah, but it's nice having the additional resolution to push in and add an artificial move if needs be.

What do you plan to do with your occasional still images? If you don't want to print them huge or crop them to death, won't 10 megapixels be enough for most uses?
I won't be cropping too much but some of my work can end up in various media outlets, on posters, merchandise etc. Mostly it will be for online or small to medium print usage.

Back