'Ghost Train' - More 10 stop madness!

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the third and final image from this morning, which I shall be posting today (that's right, I'm cashing in some of my c&c credit from recent weeks :D).

The other two that I posted were flawed - fact :|! This one may also not be perfect, but I have to say up front that I got exactly the effect that I was looking for (first time, as it happens) and so I'm guess this is more of a "Look what I did, Mummy and Daddy" :D post, rather than a straight c&c request.

Still, please don't let that put you off slating it if needs be ;). It's not that good.

Ghost_Train_02.jpg

All c&c genuinely welcome :)!

I think that is good.
Was the train stationary at the start of the exposure?

I really like this as a picture - the harder you look the less you can see the train, so I am not even going to look at it as a photographer, just as someone who likes this picture.

Purely out of curiosity what is the quality like at 100%

Thanks Christine (y)! At 100%? Why, four times as good, of course :D! No seriously, it's only had a fraction cropped off of the right hand side, as there was an illuminated sign that was quite distracting, so it's still about 3,800 pixels wide and looks pretty good, IMHO.

I think that is good.
Was the train stationary at the start of the exposure?

No, the train hadn't even arrived. I worked out that the exposure time would be about 2 or 3 minutes, so I watched the board to see when the next one would arrive and opened the shutter about a minute before it was due (German trains run like clockwork, BTW ;)). Then, it sat for about one minute, whilst the passengers got on and off and then after it had gone I had about 45 seconds worth of exposure on a totally empty platform. It worked like a dream!

Greedily :naughty:, I tried to repeat the trick four times and none of them worked nearly as well. So, beginner's luck here I guess.

I really like it (y) well done!

Cracking shot! Like it a lot

Thanks to you too!

Fantastic, best of the 3!

Really well done, it's really, really, bloody good :)

I'm very pleased to here you say that, Sean :p. The other two weren't as good I know, but even I like this one.

Really good work. Like it a lot.

From a tog of your calibre, that means a lot - thanks DG (y)!

This one's a cracker. I never even attempt this sort of stuff; do you take a tripod with you everywhere?

:LOL: It feels like it sometimes, yes. I have to say, it really is a chore to lug around everwhere, as it's a big and heavy Giottos number. But, without it I can't attempt stuff like this and these images should outlast my backache, so it's worth it, I reckon.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Well Nab, I think you have cracked it here.

There is a lot to like about this image......

There is a good amount of detail in the shot that keeps my interest in the photo. The immediate thing is the train and its movement through the image. Then there are the subtle ghosts to the left that have just the right amount of "ghostliness" (made up word :bonk:). Then there are the people stood still on the other side of the train that can be seen through the train's movement. Last, but not least, is the trains destination plate showing clearly.

Brilliant stuff! :clap:

It's a good idea and a great image. I'd be tempted to adjust the white balance a touch as it's too warm for me.

I really like it, you've pulled off a wonderful effect there.

this is amazing:love:

Well Nab, I think you have cracked it here.

There is a lot to like about this image......

There is a good amount of detail in the shot that keeps my interest in the photo. The immediate thing is the train and its movement through the image. Then there are the subtle ghosts to the left that have just the right amount of "ghostliness" (made up word :bonk:). Then there are the people stood still on the other side of the train that can be seen through the train's movement. Last, but not least, is the trains destination plate showing clearly.

Brilliant stuff! :clap:

Thanks, nigpd!

As I'm discovering, getting just the right amount of ghostliness (it is a word, I'm sure ;)), is actually very difficult and requires bit of luck. If people mill about for long enough (as they do when they're waiting for trains), then you can catch a fair amount of "mass". When they keep walking, you see nothing other than a slight loss of contrast in the areas where they've been.

Luckily, the train itself sat still for over a minute and so there was enough detail captured and of course the lights and the sign show up best.

I must admit, I felt very self-concious taking this shot :(. I had to set up the tripod on the platform and spent ages mucking about with test shots and exposure calcualtions, then putting on the filters and the remote shutter release etc., whilst people were looking at me as if I was unpacking a rocket launcher and pointing it at them :D! Still, I found that as long as I just concentrated on what I was doing and looked only at the equipment, never making eye contact with anyone, I was left in peace to get on with the job.

I'm really pleased that I didn't let my natural shyness put me off now, as it seems that I've captured one of my best shots so far.

It's a good idea and a great image. I'd be tempted to adjust the white balance a touch as it's too warm for me.
+
Nice effect, and well shot.

I'd like to see it with a slightly cooler colour balance though. You'll get a bit more detail in the platform and crowd then as the orange is starting to wash out a bit as it is.

EDIT: Garry beat me to the punch.

Good point chaps! It hadn't occured to me until you (both) said so, but the WB is a little off. The flourescent tubes down there are a little yellowish and so the general tone of the shot feels familiar to me, but for anyone who's used to the UK underground (for instance), it probably looks all wrong. I will have a go at toning it down later though, a the saturation did get a bit harsh as I pushed at the contrast to combat some of the greyness resulting from the movement blur.

Good tip, thanks (y)!

I really like it, you've pulled off a wonderful effect there.

Well, I'm sure I'm not the first (and certainly won't be the last), but it was one of a handful of shots that I had in mind for the 10 stop filter when I bought it. I'm really glad that it came out so well, first time around.

Thanks for your comment, jgs ;)!

Thats really good Naboo, love the ghosting effect and definately with Christine on this, the more you look, the less you can see the train, crazy :clap:

Hi Yv!

Yes, that was the effect that I was trying to achieve - a "ghost" train that resembled a double exposure, but with the added bonus of "ghost passengers" too :naughty:. In my minds eye, it was in black and white, but the colour version actually works better.

You're right, the more you look, the less you see - until you look away and back again. What fun these DSLRs are!

Excellent!

this is amazing:love:

Glad you liked it, folks. Thanks very much for taking the time to comment - it's really made my day!

i just think its stunning , i keep coming back and looking at it !

theres not a lot that makes me do that

Really :naughty:? You make it sound like the Nikon product catalogue - that has a similar effect on me :D.

(P.S. Download it if you want, I don't mind ;)).

Genius...lucky or not! This is one of my favourite shots on here recently too. Well done!

amazing

Most excellent!

Really like it, although its a shot that's done a lot I think this has great colour and light.

This is good, this is very good, although I'd perhaps draw a line at some of the OTT comments posted here ;)

I've watched your '3 shot progress'; using a 10stop ND with interest, at first with a slight wry smile as you fell into the trap a lot of togs fall into (myself included) in that you couldn't see the wood from the trees, i.e. you were that focussed on what the 10 stop could do that basic compositional rules flew out of the window, that railing in a previous post is probably the most glaring example.

In this image, you are obviously getting the right balance, being aware of the characteristics of the filter, but giving equal consideration to 'seeing' a composition.

It is good, but I think there is better to come.

I'd consider a slight crop from the left, so the bottom of the window is intersecting the corner of the frame.

Amazing, simple!!

Really like it, although its a shot that's done a lot I think this has great colour and light.

Superb, the lighting is spot on for the exposure i'd say.
well done

Thank you all for your observations, gentlemen (y).

I have to confess, having just re-processed the image for the post below, that I actually screwed the exposure time :puke:, as the raw file has had a full 2EV steps added to it, to create the image that you see here :shake:. Still, rather that, than blowing out all of the highlights.

This is good, this is very good, although I'd perhaps draw a line at some of the OTT comments posted here ;)

I've watched your '3 shot progress'; using a 10stop ND with interest, at first with a slight wry smile as you fell into the trap a lot of togs fall into (myself included) in that you couldn't see the wood from the trees, i.e. you were that focussed on what the 10 stop could do that basic compositional rules flew out of the window, that railing in a previous post is probably the most glaring example.

In this image, you are obviously getting the right balance, being aware of the characteristics of the filter, but giving equal consideration to 'seeing' a composition.

It is good, but I think there is better to come.

I'd consider a slight crop from the left, so the bottom of the window is intersecting the corner of the frame.

Les, this thread seems to have attracted many of the "big hitters" (that's a compliment, BTW ;)) from the TP forum and you are certainly no exception.

I really appreciate your honest and balanced feedback on my attempts and have taken on board as much as I can from what you and everyone else has said, to create the edited version in the following post.

Regarding the crop tip, I found that when I cropped to place the left hand intersecting lines into the corner, I lost most of the reflection and half of the orange notice board :| - I particularly wanted these in the image, but your tip did draw may attention to the other side of the frame and caused me to re-crop to place the intersecting lines on the right side into the corner (y).

I do hope to post a couple more 10 stop images in the weeks ahead, as I have one very strong image, burning away in my tiny mind :D, but I haven't been able to capture it yet.

Thanks again for your (balanced ;)) words of encouragement.

So, having seen this image on a monitor at work and realising that the colouration was very much on the yellow side of normal :shake:, I've re-processed the raw file to give a more 'normal' looking white balance.

I've also taken on board the comments about the strong orange colour amongst the people on the platform and the cropping tip from LesMcLean (or a version of it, at least ;)).

Here's the latest version. I hope that it will be seen as an improvement, but I'm still open to c&c :shrug:.

Ghost_Train_04.jpg

Back