Gig experiments

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I need to experiment more. I'm not going to get very far by taking perfectly lined up shots with a nice bokeh. So to that end I went out the past few nights to experiment. Different angles, different flash tests and so on. This is what I got.

CRW_5488-01.jpg

CRW_5505-01.jpg

I like this concept that they are projecting a sound, their music sorta thing.

CRW_5591-01.jpg

I remembered that you shouldn't set the shutter speed to less than your focal length. For most gigs I use about 1/50 since I want to capture nice sharp people. But this time I decided to try my 10-20 lens @ 10mm and use 1/10th. Sure you get motion blur, but you can also allow more light into the shot, which is handy.

CRW_4714-01.jpg

CRW_5149-01.jpg

An attempt at a funky angle. I never normally do this style, but I need to try it out.

Great set of shots Pete. I'd much rather see pics like this, they're so much more interesting. #5 stands out for me as being a really excellent shot but you've captured bags of energy in all the others.

Well done mate :)

Funky angles work for me mate!!!!!

Not so sure on the zoom ones.

I love the zoom on #1 - it's a great (not to mention unusual) shot; #5 is really captivating and I really like the selective colour on #9 - makes the singer really stand out. Does he always look that crazy?

Great pics, Pete - well done!

Some really good stuff here Pete - but my own fave has to be the
B&W in the first set 'Funky Angle' is a terrifically moody piece ... and a great photo to boot ! Love it !

Pete,
I love these shots. Stunning. Thanks
Rich

Ribby said:
Great set of shots Pete. I'd much rather see pics like this, they're so much more interesting. #5 stands out for me as being a really excellent shot but you've captured bags of energy in all the others.

Well done mate :)

Cool ta :)

SammyC said:
Funky angles work for me mate!!!!!

Not so sure on the zoom ones.

Another vote for the angles, great :D The zoom ones don't seem to be everyones cuppa, but worth experimenting with to see if I can perfect it.

Catdaddy said:
I love the zoom on #1 - it's a great (not to mention unusual) shot; #5 is really captivating and I really like the selective colour on #9 - makes the singer really stand out. Does he always look that crazy?

Great pics, Pete - well done!

He looked crazier :)

Venomator said:
Some really good stuff here Pete - but my own fave has to be the
B&W in the first set 'Funky Angle' is a terrifically moody piece ... and a great photo to boot ! Love it !

Cool ta.

RickMezza said:
Pete,
I love these shots. Stunning. Thanks
Rich

Thanks :) Seems like the angled shots worked. I'll continue trying to get some like that. I wasn't sure if it was maybe too angled and looked wrong. I never really go for that style.

Nothing special with 1st 3 shots, next 2 are good, the rest are excellent.

Re getting the angles, according to what size image you finally need, you could shoot slightly wider, allowing the angle crop in PS ? Best of both worlds then .

Annoyingly it was with a prime lens and I couldn't move any further back.

I think the angles need to be large enough to look like angles rather than just a bit off, IYKWIM!
:)

Very good set there - this sort of thing is so easy to do badly, but you've pulled it off very well.
Are you getting paid for these?

If not, why not?

Back