Gig photography in pub - rubbish lighting

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
Could anyone give me any tips for taking band photos in pubs with a very poor lighting set up. Lens would need to be fairly wide as 5 members in boyband and they want some shots of the whole lineup. I have a Sigma 20mm 2.8 on a Nikon D80. What sort of settings would I need? Any help would be appreciated please.

Do you have one or more flashes you can bounce off the roof?

Open up the lens to the max (2.8) try and go with a shutter speed of about 1/100-160
Lower the shutter speed to no less then 1/80 if you can help it.

Im pretty sure you will be able to use a flash in a pub. Put it on and snap away with it until someone says different. Just be respectful to the people watching the gig though.

Open up the lens to the max (2.8) try and go with a shutter speed of about 1/100-160
Lower the shutter speed to no less then 1/80 if you can help it.

Im pretty sure you will be able to use a flash in a pub. Put it on and snap away with it until someone says different. Just be respectful to the people watching the gig though.

Really good pics on your website. What would you consider to be the highest ISO you could go to? I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM - Nikon fit. Do you think this would be suitable?

Really good pics on your website. What would you consider to be the highest ISO you could go to? I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM - Nikon fit. Do you think this would be suitable?

Thanks for the compliment! Havent updated the site to much as of late though!

Regards to iso. You will more then likely start at around the 800 mark. Try not to go past 1600 as on most cameras it will get really noisy.

Id prefer to stay at 800 and lower the shutter speed slightly untill you get the results you are after. Try and keep a steady hand with slower shutter speeds.

The lens might be ok but it would be better if it was 2.8 all the way through. If you can get yourself a 50mm 1.8 prime then they are perfect to get some cracking shots.

Regards to iso. You will more then likely start at around the 800 mark. Try not to go past 1600 as on most cameras it will get really noisy..

:) Mine starts to get noisy after 3200 :)

But.. If your going to shoot bands in low light pubs then not only are you going to get noise.. its sometimes a good thing.. gives a bit of grit to the occasion especialy if a rock band :)

:) Mine starts to get noisy after 3200 :)

But.. If your going to shoot bands in low light pubs then not only are you going to get noise.. its sometimes a good thing.. gives a bit of grit to the occasion especialy if a rock band :)

Well mine is fine at 1600 but then so was the canon 1000d i used before hand! It just depends on how you go about shooting the artist. Lighting plays important roles.

You say noise makes the images look good sometimes, and i agree... but try telling that to agencies!:wacky:

You say noise makes the images look good sometimes, and i agree... but try telling that to agencies!:wacky:

I dont do a great lot unfortunatly.. but after showing a whole community of bands and mangers my first shots they said too clean and bright.. when i showed them some high iso nasty shots (diff darker venue) they said great .. but as i say... these where heavy rock.. big smelly hairy types :)

Thanks for the compliment! Havent updated the site to much as of late though!

Regards to iso. You will more then likely start at around the 800 mark. Try not to go past 1600 as on most cameras it will get really noisy.

Id prefer to stay at 800 and lower the shutter speed slightly untill you get the results you are after. Try and keep a steady hand with slower shutter speeds.

The lens might be ok but it would be better if it was 2.8 all the way through. If you can get yourself a 50mm 1.8 prime then they are perfect to get some cracking shots.

I've got a 50mm 1.8 prime but the problem I have is that I am filming a boy band with 5 members and they want some group shots. I tried filming them the other day at a gig but due to loads of screaming girls I couldn't get far enough back to get them all in. I've also got a 24mm 2.8 Prime, but wouldn't like to try changing lens in the crush.

I dont do a great lot unfortunatly.. but after showing a whole community of bands and mangers my first shots they said too clean and bright.. when i showed them some high iso nasty shots (diff darker venue) they said great .. but as i say... these where heavy rock.. big smelly hairy types :)

I'm afraid the band I'm shooting just want to look as beautiful as possible:bonk:

I've that experience with a very heavy band, "thanks mate but theyre very clean!" and these were shots i thought i'd processed in a fashion akin to their style! next time i gave them the darkest, dirtiest photos i've ever had to put my name to and they loved them, i bloody hated them. Funnily enough the same band want to head to the beach for a promo shoot.... :thinking:

I've got a 50mm 1.8 prime but the problem I have is that I am filming a boy band with 5 members and they want some group shots. I tried filming them the other day at a gig but due to loads of screaming girls I couldn't get far enough back to get them all in. I've also got a 24mm 2.8 Prime, but wouldn't like to try changing lens in the crush.

Are you filming them or photographing?

If photographing take the 20mm and the 18-50mm and stick a flash on and snap away. Bounce the flash and you should get some workable shots.

Filming..... then i cant comment.

Regards to the noisy images etc. Its always the way, the heavier bands like the gritty feel but when you submit to agencies and publications they prefer to have atmospheric photos with a clean feel to them.:bonk:
Obviously sometimes it cant be helped that noise is there as it depends on the venue and lighting!

Personally i just shoot what i think will look good and if the band/pr/management like them then its all good.

Regards to noisy Images. If you can use bounce flash that will help.

Honest advice is if you can only get a useable shot at max iso, then go max iso. A sharp in focus but grainy shot is worth a lot more than a blurred out of focus grainless shot.

Also explain this to the band, and/or their manager before hand, and explain that the quality of light on the stage will affect how the images turn out, this. Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a cracking lens if you could stretch to this, sharp and 2.8 throughout the zoom range.

Bounce flash, and stop your flash down a little if needed to avoid the obvious shot with flash look. Play about and experiment. Lastly enjoy it, I know you want to do your best, but making a boy band look perfect under a pub lighting setup without flash and a dose of luck would be a hard ask of many pro photographers, let alone an amateur.

Lastly shoot RAW! This gives you the easiest way to reduce some grain, and also sort exposure problems.

Lastly, Lastly. Good luck and make sure you post some results up!

Are you filming them or photographing?

If photographing take the 20mm and the 18-50mm and stick a flash on and snap away. Bounce the flash and you should get some workable shots.

Filming..... then i cant comment.

Regards to the noisy images etc. Its always the way, the heavier bands like the gritty feel but when you submit to agencies and publications they prefer to have atmospheric photos with a clean feel to them.:bonk:
Obviously sometimes it cant be helped that noise is there as it depends on the venue and lighting!

Personally i just shoot what i think will look good and if the band/pr/management like them then its all good.

Regards to noisy Images. If you can use bounce flash that will help.

Honest advice is if you can only get a useable shot at max iso, then go max iso. A sharp in focus but grainy shot is worth a lot more than a blurred out of focus grainless shot.

Also explain this to the band, and/or their manager before hand, and explain that the quality of light on the stage will affect how the images turn out, this. Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a cracking lens if you could stretch to this, sharp and 2.8 throughout the zoom range.

Bounce flash, and stop your flash down a little if needed to avoid the obvious shot with flash look. Play about and experiment. Lastly enjoy it, I know you want to do your best, but making a boy band look perfect under a pub lighting setup without flash and a dose of luck would be a hard ask of many pro photographers, let alone an amateur.

Lastly shoot RAW! This gives you the easiest way to reduce some grain, and also sort exposure problems.

Lastly, Lastly. Good luck and make sure you post some results up!

Thanks for your help Muss and Ding. I've just ordered a Sigma 18-50 2.8, so I shall take that along with me and maybe my 50mm 1.8 and my SB600 flash. Their next gig I'm going to (My grandson's) is in the Grand Theatre and they don't usually let you take photos there, but after that there is an outdoor concert, so hopefully I will be able to get there and take some photos.

Thanks for your help Muss and Ding. I've just ordered a Sigma 18-50 2.8, so I shall take that along with me and maybe my 50mm 1.8 and my SB600 flash. Their next gig I'm going to (My grandson's) is in the Grand Theatre and they don't usually let you take photos there, but after that there is an outdoor concert, so hopefully I will be able to get there and take some photos.

Good choice! i used the 18-50 2.8 alot and to be honest i still prefer to have the wide 18mm option.

Next you will be buying the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8! YEAH! :clap:

Good choice! i used the 18-50 2.8 alot and to be honest i still prefer to have the wide 18mm option.

Next you will be buying the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8! YEAH! :clap:

These are all great lenses for gigs, but often the 24mm is just not wide enough, especially if you are really up close (like in the pit) and the 18mm at f2.8 is just great; mine is the Tamron.
I agree re high ISO...go as high as necessary to get a decent shutter speed and to blazes with noise. If you really have to, you can use noise reduction software....gently....;)

I always add this advice....USE EAR DEFENDERS!!!!

Have fun!

These are all great lenses for gigs, but often the 24mm is just not wide enough, especially if you are really up close (like in the pit) and the 18mm at f2.8 is just great; mine is the Tamron.
I agree re high ISO...go as high as necessary to get a decent shutter speed and to blazes with noise. If you really have to, you can use noise reduction software....gently....;)

I always add this advice....USE EAR DEFENDERS!!!!

Have fun!

I agree. I used my Panasonic FX500 25mm lens as I was video-ing the gig most of the time. I found I couldn't get the 5 members of the band in altogether and so had to stitch 2 photos together. Still it was better than nothing. Looking forward to my new lens for the next gig, and I will take my D80. Regarding advice on ear defenders - my hubby was a session bass player for Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent and loads of other artists when they came on their UK tours, and now he is completely deaf in one ear. We are trying to impress on our grandson to wear ear defenders and hope that he will listen.

I agree that 24mm isnt wide enough especially on crop sensors. Im looking to get a replacement 18-55 2.8 i loved that on my canon. Also looking at ultra wide primes...

Ear plugs are essential! The ones i use and i think have been the best for me are these pair i got from a gun smiths, Only £1.50 but i cuts 80% of the noise so you can still hear the music and convo at a nice quiet level.

Back