Gig Photos - Second Attempt!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Bouyed by my first attempt last week and the surprisingly decent results, I went back this weekend to take a couple more shots of a different band.

Went with two lenses this time, the Tokina 16-50 f2.8 and the trusty 50mm f1.8
I hoped it would let me get some 'full body' shots and help more with a 'band' feel than the sharp 'portrait' style pics the fifty excels at.
Next time, I'll go with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 I think, as I could have done with something wider when I was right up against the stage!

Anyway, here's a couple from the set.. as ever, all feedback welcomed!

Lost Dogs 65 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 3 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 57 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 32 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 38 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 66 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Love Lost Dogs 66. I know its closed eyes but to me it says emotion.

There nice yeah, did you shoot anything tighter on a long lens to loose the background

Thanks folks.. all positive so far, which means a lot to my fragile beginner ego..haha.

bfotosuk, I didn't actually, no.
I might try that next too.. It's all just experimenting at the moment really. I was toying with the idea of taking my Sigma 70-200 f2.8, but thought that even at it's shortest length, it'd still be 100mm on my D90, so too close?

I was also a bit worried about getting enough light in without having to bump the ISO too far, which is probably why I fell back to the nifty fifty.

Very nice, some good feeling and emotion there.

This is going pretty well I think - you are getting well constructed compelling images with minimal kit (y)

Think it goes a long way to banishing the idea that you need expensive "low light" stuff to pull this off.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with the wide angle... have a feeling you might get a fair amount of distortion that will need some PP fixing.

You should always take all your kit with you, you can't predict the situation you maybe in.

With the 70-200 2.8 you will be fine. it is 2.8 after all. Good luck.

Brad, I do normally take all my kit with me to be fair, it's just difficult to try and change lenses etc when you're getting crushed up against the stage!

I managed to sweet talk the guy on the mixing desk to let me stash my Lowepro in the booth with him, but it meant having to fight through the crowd to the back of the venue to swap lenses.. I'd imagine it's a damn site easier in a dedicated 'press pit' at a decent sized venue!

I'll definately try the UWA and the 70-200 next time, I'm just a bit afraid of the length of the zoom in such a small shooting space I guess?

Nice photos, you did well with the poor lighting conditions.

Thanks guys..

I'm sure if I had a D3s or whatever, I'd be able to just whack it up to ISO 128000 and fire away happily, but ISO 1600 seems to be the sweet spot for the D90 before it becomes a noisy mess. :)

Just need to start getting my name out there now locally and try for some commissioned stuff, gotta pay for the fast glass somehow!

Keep going, keep posting. I am enjoying these 8)

Hi, i like the numbers 9, 66,3 and 57 have come out. I wonder how they would of come out on a f1.8 lens.

Seond set, also very good!

The mixing desk is a nice scene setter, I think it adds to the set nicely.

In motorsport I always like to take some atmosphere shots to go with the main subject - makes for a more balance set.

I keep saying it, but I'd love to break into gig photography... I tried earlier this year but not got anywhere yet. Bit jealous (y)

Lots of great photos there Chris, I really like the B&W ones, they have a great sense of atmosphere.

'Lost Dogs 57' is also a top shot, well exposed considering you were shooting directly into a stage light!

So were these all with a D90 and 50mm1.8? Do you use any flash or are they just well timed/positioned with the stage lights?

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Chrizzy -

66, 3 and 57 were all taken with the f1.8. 9 was taken with the Tokina.

Desantnik -

Just get stuck in! I've certainly not 'broken into' it yet as far as I'm concerned, I just turned up to a mate's gig with my camera! (y)

Tim -

All with my D90 and either the Tokina 17-50 f2.8 or the 50 f1.8 yep.

No flash, manual exposure, spot metered (which I think is a must in a gig environment).
I've only been doing this since the New Year, so it's a lot to learn!!

The nifty is the one it makes such a big difference, i got to get one because i take a lot of pictures in dark venues that 1.8 is the one.

The nifty is the one it makes such a big difference, i got to get one because i take a lot of pictures in dark venues that 1.8 is the one.

It's a cracking lens, I bought mine second hand to 'try' and love it.
Just be careful with the focal length, as it's an FX lens so is a 75mm on the D90.

Hiya and WOW!!

I love this set. :)

Lost Dogs 38 - good colour, plus the guitarist's facial expression says it all - you've captured the mood very well. :)

Lost Dogs 65 & 66 - For me, these images are crisp and clear and would make perfect album covers. The b&w tones are very good too, together with a relxed composition in 65.

Well done. :)

Hiya and WOW!!

I love this set. :)

Lost Dogs 38 - good colour, plus the guitarist's facial expression says it all - you've captured the mood very well. :)

Lost Dogs 65 & 66 - For me, these images are crisp and clear and would make perfect album covers. The b&w tones are very good too, together with a relxed composition in 65.

Well done. :)

Thanks very much Beth... I'd be more than happy if I could get an album cover shot out of one of my sets on my second go! :D

I'd obviously then have to discuss some sort of financial reimbursement..:rules:

Some good shots here for sure, you even got a half-decent drummer shot which is often missed. My fave is the 3rd one.

Is this the second time at the same venue? if so try some more venues. Some are really easy to get decent shots, but most are an utter pain in the rear! Being able to be as low as 1600 is a rare blessing. I spent a lot of time at 1,600 1/30th, f/1.4 and then pushing it a bit in PS! but then I outright refuse to ever use flash at a gig.

Oh, and if you start doing bigger gigs, be wary of copyright grabs and all kinds of crap like that. It's an utter minefield and thus I don't do live work any more.

Thanks Adam, I make a conscious effort to get a couple of everyone, especially the drummer. It was something Jared Polin mentioned and it stuck with me..

Yea, it was the second time at the same place, but the lighting was totally different.
I've got a gig lined up at the end of the month at a place that looks like a bloody cave on the vids I've seen of bands there!

1/30th at 1.4? Blimey, I'd just wind up with a blurry mess..lol
I get the impression it can be a minefield, I'm starting small, but hopefully it might lead somewhere.. as it is, I'm enjoying it, which I guess is all that counts!

Yup, keep enjoying it, know when to avoid the non-fun things and keep the rest :)

Probably becomes non-fun when someone else is calling the shots and not just letting you go with the flow (y)

Bouyed by my first attempt last week and the surprisingly decent results, I went back this weekend to take a couple more shots of a different band.

Went with two lenses this time, the Tokina 16-50 f2.8 and the trusty 50mm f1.8
I hoped it would let me get some 'full body' shots and help more with a 'band' feel than the sharp 'portrait' style pics the fifty excels at.
Next time, I'll go with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 I think, as I could have done with something wider when I was right up against the stage!

Anyway, here's a couple from the set.. as ever, all feedback welcomed!

Lost Dogs 65 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 3 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 57 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 32 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 38 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Lost Dogs 66 by Chris.Bibby, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

number one is great, nice relaxed portrait

Thanks.. :)
I think the B&W portrait style shots are my favourites.. they might be a little clichéd I guess, but I think they're a good contrast against the Rocking Out 'shouty' pics.

I like them all, but I love the black and white ones, they are really chilled loooking

Back