GIGRIN PART OF SKOMER TRIP

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi had 2 minutes to spare waiting for a customer to ring me back so i thought i would post one from the Gigrin Farm part of Skomer trip

Canon 7D 300mm f4i.s F5.6 shutter 1/2000 iso 400

Regards

Richard

Great capture. I have been wanting to visit there for a while.

Oh yeah!!! Love that!! I had my doubts about Gigrin, but you have convinced me with this shot that i HAVE to go!

Cheers
G

Nice one Richard, I haven't got as far as downloading the gigrin pics yet, my delete button will be worn out no doubt when I do

Simply lovely.

Nice, gotta get back up there again! Which hide were you in fella, the new one?

cheers

drew

its a great place.
went about 2 months ago. almost cloudless blue sky. and its eerie watching the build up to feeding time. birds arriving from every direction in small numbers .and before you know it, 50 / 60 red kites soaring over head
would love to go in winter when anything up to 500-600 can turn up at a time
well thats what the guide told us

great capture
.how did the 7d auto focus cope. was going to get one this week. but opted for a bargain 5d classic instead

Thats a classic shot Rich, good detail and BG. Gigrin is on my to do list this year, fairly soon in fact, as soon as I am mobile enough to get out and about. Is this much of a crop, what I'm asking really is, was the 300mm lens long enough for these shots. When we were at Briony's, I was using between 100mm and 400mm depending on where the birds were, is it similar at Gigrin when your working from a hide, what length lens would you think ideal for there.

Either way, I like this picture Rich, well done (y)

i was happy working with a 200 f4 L may have had the 1.4 conv on
i had my 100-400 as well but didnt use it much
the birds are right in front of you and just over head
there are 2 elevated towers with fully open fronts so the birds would be right in front of your face, but i think its about 10-15 pound including the entry
lower hides are good or you could stand outside at the side of the hides. i did at the end
i dont want to hijack the op,s thread but i got some wide angle shots out of the hide windows
ill post them here (only for reference) if its ok with the original poster.

Great capture. I have been wanting to visit there for a while.

Thanks very much gigrin is always worth a visit. Winters best because of the sun being lower and a bit of snow or frost really helps acts like a giant reflector gives more detail underneath the bird

Thank you

Oh yeah!!! Love that!! I had my doubts about Gigrin, but you have convinced me with this shot that i HAVE to go!

Cheers
G

Glad you liked it

Nice one Richard, I haven't got as far as downloading the gigrin pics yet, my delete button will be worn out no doubt when I do

Cheers Kev my delete button has'nt got any writing left on it i have got rid of that many

Simply lovely.

Thank you very much

Nice, gotta get back up there again! Which hide were you in fella, the new one?

cheers

drew

Hi Drew the lower one the Gateway hide £10.00

Once you have been once, you will be hooked,

Thats a superb shot, going to have to go back, need to put my 30d through its paces since i didnt have it last time.

Thank you very much hope you have fun and get some good shots

Very nice Richard,my 500mm f/4 L arrived today so i am in a very good mood,

Regards,
john.

Thanks John i look forward to seeing some shots from it it's a superb lens

its a great place.
went about 2 months ago. almost cloudless blue sky. and its eerie watching the build up to feeding time. birds arriving from every direction in small numbers .and before you know it, 50 / 60 red kites soaring over head
would love to go in winter when anything up to 500-600 can turn up at a time
well thats what the guide told us

great capture
.how did the 7d auto focus cope. was going to get one this week. but opted for a bargain 5d classic instead

Hi thanks the 7d stuck like glue the auto focus is so good i have bought a second

Great capture.

Thanks Jemima

Thats a classic shot Rich, good detail and BG. Gigrin is on my to do list this year, fairly soon in fact, as soon as I am mobile enough to get out and about. Is this much of a crop, what I'm asking really is, was the 300mm lens long enough for these shots. When we were at Briony's, I was using between 100mm and 400mm depending on where the birds were, is it similar at Gigrin when your working from a hide, what length lens would you think ideal for there.

Either way, I like this picture Rich, well done (y)

Thanks Trev the 100-400mm is a good focal range for gigrin though you may find the auto focus a tad slow locking on it can be done though. I have some shots taken with mine that are pin sharp. The 300mm coped very well and they are not big crops that saying i used the 600mm as well just depends where you are. What have you been up to mate you were pretty active last time i saw you

i was happy working with a 200 f4 L may have had the 1.4 conv on
i had my 100-400 as well but didnt use it much
the birds are right in front of you and just over head
there are 2 elevated towers with fully open fronts so the birds would be right in front of your face, but i think its about 10-15 pound including the entry
lower hides are good or you could stand outside at the side of the hides. i did at the end
i dont want to hijack the op,s thread but i got some wide angle shots out of the hide windows
ill post them here (only for reference) if its ok with the original poster.

Hi no problems there go for it same goes for anyone else

Very nice shot, just going through mine myself. The green background really does help to bring the best out of the bird.

Thanks mate i have tried every hide there and i think i preffer the one i used for this shot

Superb shot - I found them almost impossible to get against the green bg, when using the 500mm... probably should have unpacked the 100-400 as an alternative.

Thanks Pete i like the lower hide i was using the 600mm with no probs from here

Thanks all for the feedback regards

Richard

Well with so many people wanting to go again and others who have never been but want to go . Why dont we organise a meet there in the Autumn.
I took my 36 year old son there a few weeks back He went with the "spose I had better humour the old dear" attitude. I had to drag him away in the end.
Thats a great shot Richard

I was there Sunday and Monday what a great place, I used my 70-300 for the diving shots and action shots and the 180 2.8 for closer flying shots. I could have done with my larger lenses for the Buzzards though, especially when they are in the trees.

Briony, you will love it there but don't expect the wonderful sound of the dive as they are further away.

Got a bit concerned over one buzzard as he appeared to be injured but apparently has a habit of "playing dead" anyone else seen him ?

Back