Gimbal for GoPro Hero5 black ?

damianmkv

Uh oh, a fruit basket!
Edit My Images
Yes
i know that the 5 has inbuilt stabilisation but Santa has has bought my son a GP as he takes video for YouTube and has been using his iPhone til now.

I've done a quick search for gimbals and they're £200+ so is there anything else that he could buy instead ? Would a short selfie stick style thing suffice ?

Last edited:
A selfie stick is almost indispensable and for stability better than holding it but get a longer one.
I have this which is a decent one for not much money.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q2M3LEC

Gimbals are good but fragile and something else to break/need batteries.
Simple GoPro stabilising tricks include pressing it against your forehead or chin, and shoot at 60fps and render half speed for static scenes.

Some of the Hero 4 gimbals like Feiyu can be adapted for the bigger hero5.
A single axis fitted to selfie stick is inexpensive and useful but again most are still geared to older gopro shape
I have this one but not for Hero 5 yet
http://www.banggood.com/Feiyu-Tech-...e-Camera-Gimbal-for-Gopro-3-3-4-p-995750.html

GoPro are doing the Karma stabiliser separate from failed drone - which is probably what you want really.
However some reviewers did complain about motor noise from it.

Thanks for this - I hope that someone brings out a Karma Grip equivalent because £289 is bonkers.

GP seem a little light on instructions in the box :)

All decent gimbals are £200+, it's not a simple thing to do and cheap ones show why. The Karma grip is worth the money IMO, purely as it controls the GoPro, I think a few others do too but not sure on Hero 5 integration.

Well now I have a working remote control, I gotta say the Removu gimbal is a quality piece of kit. Happy with it.

karma_removu_n.jpg

I am contemplating getting a GP5 this weekend as it is on offer at Amazon and Argos. The Removu looks interesting. Is it still the one to get over the official Karma?

Are you chaps happy with the GP5? I was thinking about getting one for the other half to use to capture family moments and days out and for me to do time lapses. Are the photos decent?

For capturing the family would the linear FOV be the best option to not distort them?

I know I could get a decent phone but the dinky little GP5 seems to be able to dump in the bag and always have on you and then edit on the phone using the GP app.

Thanks.

Back