Gimbal or fluid?

Nikon_Nick

Shirley
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon!

I’m looking to get either a gimbal head or fluid head for use with my Sony 200-600 for wildlife photography. I’ve watched lots of videos and both seem to fit what I need. In your experience, which do you prefer/recommend and why?

Many thanks

Nick

I generally prefer a fluid head as some drag is better for smooth movements; and most gimbals do not have good drag. The exceptions are the Gitzo GHFG1 fluid gimbal, the ProMedia Gear Katana (any version), and the Leofoto PG-1 (which is a copy of the Katana Pro). The Gitzo suffers from a lack of adjustability (although there is a hidden adjustment for panning), and the other two suffer from a bit of fussiness (hard to find/set appropriate dampening). Oh, and probably the RRS fluid Gimbal... but I have no experience with it.

Before these Gimbals I was using a UniqBall, but it suffers from not being "hands free" during times of waiting. There is the FlexShooter which is essentially the same thing, but with a fixed counterbalance spring (like a cheap video/fluid head has). The problem with a fixed counterbalance is that it needs to match the weight of your camera/lens... too much or too little resistance can be a problem (can be offset a bit by shifting the camera's CG fore/aft). A head with variable counterbalance is much better, but also more costly.

Before all of them I was using Sachtler video heads... I still have one somewhere. The problem with the better fluid/video heads is size/weight/cost.

So, there's no perfect answer. I've been using the PG-1 for the last few months and I still have my Gitzo GHFG1... I'm kind of undecided as to which one I actually prefer; but I'm going to stick with the PG-1 for a while. I still use the UniqBall for low level/ground work. And I've stopped using the video heads due to size/weight... I'm sure there is a smaller/lighter/cheaper one suitable, especially for use with only one specific body/lens combo (fixed counterbalance); but I haven't looked for it.

I generally prefer a fluid head as some drag is better for smooth movements; and most gimbals do not have good drag. The exceptions are the Gitzo GHFG1 fluid gimbal, the ProMedia Gear Katana (any version), and the Leofoto PG-1 (which is a copy of the Katana Pro). The Gitzo suffers from a lack of adjustability (although there is a hidden adjustment for panning), and the other two suffer from a bit of fussiness (hard to find/set appropriate dampening). Oh, and probably the RRS fluid Gimbal... but I have no experience with it.

Before these Gimbals I was using a UniqBall, but it suffers from not being "hands free" during times of waiting. There is the FlexShooter which is essentially the same thing, but with a fixed counterbalance spring (like a cheap video/fluid head has). The problem with a fixed counterbalance is that it needs to match the weight of your camera/lens... too much or too little resistance can be a problem (can be offset a bit by shifting the camera's CG fore/aft). A head with variable counterbalance is much better, but also more costly.

Before all of them I was using Sachtler video heads... I still have one somewhere. The problem with the better fluid/video heads is size/weight/cost.

So, there's no perfect answer. I've been using the PG-1 for the last few months and I still have my Gitzo GHFG1... I'm kind of undecided as to which one I actually prefer; but I'm going to stick with the PG-1 for a while. I still use the UniqBall for low level/ground work. And I've stopped using the video heads due to size/weight... I'm sure there is a smaller/lighter/cheaper one suitable, especially for use with only one specific body/lens combo (fixed counterbalance); but I haven't looked for it.
Fantastic info, thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Get a Fluid Head without a doubt.

The best of the Gimbal type I had was the Gitzo mentioned above however after buying the Manfrotto MVH502AH I much prefer that type.

The best of the Gimbal type I had was the Gitzo mentioned above however after buying the Manfrotto MVH502AH I much prefer that type.
Thanks Jase.

PG-1 open box from China are "reasonably" priced too. Mine was brand new and arrived in 5 days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125460428534 for example.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at that one also (y)

What are you putting on it? A fixed 9lb counterbalance might be a bit much for a 6lb camera/lens combo (alpha w/ 200-600)...

I haven't used a fluid head but I have a Lensmaster gimbal for my 500mm f4 and would recommend.

As a landscape photographer Im new to using big tele lenses but it takes seconds to get the camera/lens balanced on the head and once done it is so easy to position and stays wherever you put it.

PG-1 open box from China are "reasonably" priced too. Mine was brand new and arrived in 5 days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125460428534 for example.

Definitely a bargain...

What are you putting on it? A fixed 9lb counterbalance might be a bit much for a 6lb camera/lens combo (alpha w/ 200-600)...

I use a Gripped Sony A1 with 200-600 and it's fine (pretty sure I've used it without the battery grip and it was fine too). Also use with the 600 f4 and also fine.

Back