Gimbals - recommendations & experiences....

Name
Steve Hall
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon all,

I have a fairly specific need for a gimbal, primarily for shooting car to car moving shots at the slowest possible shutter speed. Ideally I'm looking for something relatively small, perhaps that can be held like a trigger whilst I use live view in camera. Wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience, or could recommend some setups that might fit the bill in terms of lightness, portability & effectiveness.

cheers,
Steve

DJI Ronin? Pricey and bulky but looks like it does a perfect job

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the Jobo, had a good look at that! Does look more like what I need for my very specific use; probably worth a buy & try. If it doesn't quite work for me they hold value anyway...

Thanks a lot, PF very out of date but clients thankfully book on what I did last :D

Funny you should mention the Jobo, had a good look at that! Does look more like what I need for my very specific use; probably worth a buy & try. If it doesn't quite work for me they hold value anyway...

Thanks a lot, PF very out of date but clients thankfully book on what I did last :D

Are your lenses image stabilised? The best systems these days can extend hand-held exposures down to an extra three/four stops with a decent hit rate, and with a wide-angle that takes you into serious tripod territory. Could be worth a try if you haven't already. Would be a killer system with some kind of gyro device and quite a few of those about I think, but tends to be more for video.

I usually use my 16-35VR for these shots, but to get that really dreamy super slow shutter effect (as well as increasing hit rate generally) something more is needed; the slower shutter I can use the better! 1/8th handheld from a vehicle moving at 40mph, VR alone isn't going to do it...

I usually use my 16-35VR for these shots, but to get that really dreamy super slow shutter effect (as well as increasing hit rate generally) something more is needed; the slower shutter I can use the better! 1/8th handheld from a vehicle moving at 40mph, VR alone isn't going to do it...

Interesting problem and solution - like to know how you get on :)

I'm wondering though, even when the camera is dead stable, how you're going to get the subject to stay exactly positioned in frame for a long exposure? Won't the cars just move around too much?

It does take some practice, and there's some hit and miss, but relative to the movements I'm subjected to in the boot of a car, the following car is pretty stable in frame. I also do this whilst working with professionals, who understand how important it is to keep the cars distance from me consistent. I won't need this for a while, but if/when I do I'll post findings & results.

It does take some practice, and there's some hit and miss, but relative to the movements I'm subjected to in the boot of a car, the following car is pretty stable in frame. I also do this whilst working with professionals, who understand how important it is to keep the cars distance from me consistent. I won't need this for a while, but if/when I do I'll post findings & results.

(y)

Also interested in your flash technique, eg Nissan GTR night shot on the moors? Multi open flash, tons of photoshop?! Have you done a blog post on it perhaps?

£39 on e bay cheap as chips works good with my d750 +nikon 200-500 mm
very good value for money had mine 2 yrs now no problem

Back