Giottos Compatibility

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I was out with my trusty Giottos MTL 9351b tripod the other night

I had the MH5011 head but unfortunately over tightened it while setting it in position for a shot; stripping the threads.

Ive has a look online and can’t seem to see any similar heads for sale. I’m unsure if they’ve become discontinued.

How can I find out what heads are compatible with the tripod body so as I can get back out to scratch that itch??!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Derek

Bump. Surely someone must know about Giottos compatibility?

As far as I can find out (using Google), the tripod has both 1/4 and 3/8 threads so can accept most heads once the old one is removed. There might be a grub screw under the top plate of the tripod that needs releasing before the old head can be unscrewed.

Thank you muchly for the reply Nod. I’m sure it was me who assembled it and yes grub screw sounds familiar. I just wasn’t sure if there was cross compatibility between tripod and heads.
Thank you for your response.

Almost all tripods and heads use the same threads - I have a Manfrotto head on my Giottos Vitruvian travel 'pod to keep the same (apparently less than perfect but it works for me!) RC2 QR system.

It is the normal 3/8 thread.
if it is stripped it might be the male screw theads on the tripod or the threads on the female head, either can be replaced by an engineer.
In the case of the head it will be drilled and tapped and a thread repair coil inserted. It would be strong as ever. Almost any thread can be repaired/replaced

Back