Girl on a horse.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I know it's a close up and maybe too tight for some, my intention was to capture the riders expression and the horse up close and personal.
This didn't work too well in colour as there were lots of random, distracting colours in the background, overall I'm very pleased with this.
Please click on image for the larger view
and thanks for looking.
Tony

original.jpg

Hi. I like it, its sharp, and the bw works well. Just a shame about the horse's position. I'm no equine expert, but it looks like the horse is about to crash into the hedge and the rider go over the top. The expressions don't portray that sense of panic, so I find the image a bit confusing.

Fabulously sharp,Tony ,the detail is astonishing . What lens did you use for this ?

Really Chris? I'd have thought that you knew how to use Exif?

300/2.8 distance 29.8m

It's a great shot btw, IQ aside.

I like the mono conversion and the profile of the rider and horse. I agree with what Carol says about the position and that it looks like the horse and rider might be in for a tumble, but personally I am so distracted by the details on the horse's flanks (?) that I didn't notice asap. :)

It looks great to the untrained eye but in the real world you could have got all you required and been way more spectacular by pressing the button a half second later. You would've captured the horse in the right position, all tucked up, clearing the jump.

It's a matter of timing, get it right and you sell more photos.

Hi. I like it, its sharp, and the bw works well. Just a shame about the horse's position. I'm no equine expert, but it looks like the horse is about to crash into the hedge and the rider go over the top. The expressions don't portray that sense of panic, so I find the image a bit confusing.
Thanks for your comment.
Actually the rider is far from not being in control, the horse made the jump perfectly and the rider is nicely positioned on the horse.
Shame my photograph may have led you to think otherwise.

kind regards

Tony

It looks great to the untrained eye but in the real world you could have got all you required and been way more spectacular by pressing the button a half second later. You would've captured the horse in the right position, all tucked up, clearing the jump.

Thanks for your comment.
Alas I think you were missing the point here, my timing was actually spot on, as this is exactly what I was aiming for.
I have taken thousands of photos like you describe, this was deliberately different and actually selling more photos was not my motivaton odd as that may sound.

kind regards

Tony
www.tophotos.co.uk

Last edited:
Hi,

have to agree with the Tog, the rider looks calm, why? Because she is in total control, fences like this are designed to be 'brushed' through ;)

The rider, horse and hedge are in perfect symmetry :)

Great image and one I am sure the rider would love.

And I'm not an Equine expert either :D

Mike.

Last edited:
clarke said:

It looks OK to the trained eye as well. Not every shot of British Eventing has to fit within an event photographer's template.

Thanks everyone for your comments, we all see things differently so it's no surprise opinions vary.

Tugster,

no she didn't buy it because it was not offered for sale!
I wasn't actually taking photos to sell, rather just for the pleasure of it!

You can see I do take more conventional equestrian images.
www.tophotos.co.uk

kind regards all
Tony

Lets add a few facts to the photo shall we?

The timing on this shot is great because:

a) It's interesting

and

b) Because there was no 'perfectly tucked up front legs whilst crossing the fence' moment.

The horse got in deep on the third element of the water and scrambled over going clear, which is why the jockey is so upsides.
Give it a break though, because the horse is twenty and in it's 14th year of Eventing.

Tony can't sell the photo because he isn't the official photographer (who's standing a few yards to his left) and besides which, not everything is about money.

It's a good action shot.
It's intriguing because it makes you wonder what's happening (and now you know).
It's bloody good IQ, although that is one of it's least qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Now can we possibly just enjoy the pretty picture and accept that not every sports shot has to fit into a predefined pattern? Sometimes they just work, whether they are complimentary to the subject or not.

That is one absolutely cracking shot! Really love it from left to right and top to bottom!! Looks ace in B&w. What kit?

Thanks guys for the further comments, I'm more than happy to receive negative or flattering comments, though obviously the latter are preferable!

Adri86,
thanks for your kind words, this photo was made with my Nikon D3 and 3002.8vrII lens.

kind regards

tony

I like it alot, the detail of the veins on the horse look amazing to me.

Removing the timing from the equation, that is one great shot. Wonderfully sharp and the mono conversation works wonders. Excellent!

Now can we possibly just enjoy the pretty picture and accept that not every sports shot has to fit into a predefined pattern? .

well said, I think I wil make this my sig, or repeat it a lot on other threads!

it is a stunning pic :clap:

a) It's interesting

and

b) Because there was no 'perfectly tucked up front legs whilst crossing the fence' moment.

The horse got in deep on the third element of the water and scrambled over going clear, which is why the jockey is so upsides.
Give it a break though, because the horse is twenty and in it's 14th year of Eventing.

Tony can't sell the photo because he isn't the official photographer (who's standing a few yards to his left) and besides which, not everything is about money.

It's a good action shot.
It's intriguing because it makes you wonder what's happening (and now you know).
It's bloody good IQ, although that is one of it's least qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Now can we possibly just enjoy the pretty picture and accept that not every sports shot has to fit into a predefined pattern? Sometimes they just work, whether they are complimentary to the subject or not.

Well said that Man , you know your stuff as does Tony .(y)

Pons

a) It's interesting

and

It's a good action shot.

I like the shot
But love this post (y)

Flavio .

All I can say is spot on .... timing , focusing and exposure .

There are some strange comments on here which I don't understand , I have been an event/action photographer for a very long time , and in my view it is a stunning shot .

Otta

Looks fab to me. The girl looks so relaxed and that horse is beautiful.

Thanks everyone who looked and took the effort to comment, it's really appreciated and it's good to try and understand how others see things!

Tony

I've not yet done any Horse Jumping although scheduled to do some later in the year.

I like the photo. The only thing I would have considered is making the fence straight

keevilp said:
I've not yet done any Horse Jumping although scheduled to do some later in the year.

I like the photo. The only thing I would have considered is making the fence straight

Erm, it is. I thought that you were a professional sports photographer?

Thanks for your comment, it's appreciated.
As DemiLion says the fence is straight, it is lower in the center and has raised sides, perhaps not apparent from this image!

kind regards

tony

I've kept coming back to look at this shot. The detail is amazing, the horses veins....I love it.

Great picture, Not sure my opinion counts for much being a novice ... But we keep horses and from my prospective what takes the edge off is that you don't see the horses front legs, like a bit later would have been better.

cheers,

Sam

I actually love it, the horse looks calm and interested and the rider in control, the detail is stunning and the mono conversion gets rid of any distraction.
It's nice to see a different equine shot, I think sometimes we all get too hung up in sports photography on how a thing should look, I know how picky I am/was with cycling time trial images. But we don't always need the legs in the "right" position, as in the end it can get a bit samey.

Back