Gitzo Traveler Series 1 or series 2

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
With my largest lens being a Nikon 70-200 2.8 Do you think the series 1 would be suffice or series 2. I over engineer everything I do so my heart says Series 2. But my head says series 1 and then even may go for the 5 section to save folded height for putting in a backpack.

Anyone have any experience with the 5 sections

I would say the new series 1 three section would be fine, pretty sure about the four and very unsure about the five.

Personally wouldn't want to go smaller than the diameter of the bottom section on my four leg GT1541.

1 series may just do it but I don't think I'd recommend it.

I've got a 1 series, 5 section traveller and wouldn't like mounting my 80-200 f2.8 or 300 f4 on it. Generally I save the 1 series for when I'm really travelling light and have a 2 series mountaineer if I've got the bigger kit in tow.

If you are going to go with more leg sections then you probably want to go with the next step up... It's also a good idea to get one taller than you will normally need.

S2 is the one you need, preferably with fewer sections. S2 Travellers are really very good tripods by any measure, and the larger Centre Ball head (the medium size version in the range) is also excellent. S1 are compromised with inevitably spindly leg sections and the ball head, though a tough little customer, is just too small to handle a hefty lens like that properly. But if it won't fit your backpack...?

I would get the S2, and strap it to the backpack. Putting a tripod actually inside a backpack sounds frankly impractical to me.

S1 are compromised with inevitably spindly leg sections

Newest versions have thicker legs, just bought a GT1532 and even the bottom leg is of a decent 18.2mm diameter.

I have a GT2540T traveller and cannot recommend it highly enough

Last edited:
I buckled and bought the S1 as I was running out of time for Del today.....As it turns out it looks like its stuck at parcelforces hub and may not be here today anyhow.......

Having it for todays walkabout shoot would have been nice but I don't actually need it until Thurs so if its not suitable I can swap it out for the S2.

I've gone for
Gitzo GK1545T-82TQD Series 1 Traveler Carbon eXact Tripod Kit

Newest versions have thicker legs, just bought a GT1532 and even the bottom leg is of a decent 18.2mm diameter.

GT1532 is a 3-section Mountaineer, not a Traveller. Only the 2-Series Traveller has an 18.2mm bottom section. The current 1-Series Travellers have either a 14.7mm bottoms section, or 11.2mm on the 5-section version.

All things considered, all Gitzo Travellers are head and shoulders above any rivals of similar size/sections, but the smaller models are inevitably somewhat compromised with extra leg joints and narrower tubes.

Well It turned up.. Tracking still had it at the depot as he was walking up my drive though.

Wow it feels a quality setup.

I've put it up and stuck my gripped D810 and 70-200 2.8. It feels sturdy enough. And whilst it will fit in the backpack. (when my camera isnt) Chances are It'll spend most of its life on the outside.

This was supposed to be a travel Tripod only. BUT if a S2 would do the job of being a travel tripod AND a non travel tripod then I may jump to the bigger one..

Or

Keep this one and get the Explorer thats on offer as well which would work out to be less than £100 than the S2 traveler..........

Last edited:
Back