Beginner Give me some Nikon D7200 tips

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm upgrading from a D3200 to a D7200. Can any users of this camera give me any useful user tips of the functions it has that the D3200 doesn't. I've done a bt of Youtubing and decided I'm going to go with backbutton focusing and maybe use the U1 and U2 pre-sets. I will mostly be using my Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 as my kit lens and the Tokina 11-16 F2.8 for landscapes. Thanks.

Turn it on manual mode, go into settings and assign the record button to act as ISO button when you hold it down.
Use the normal shutter button, its close to your ISO button now.
The front command dial is shutter speed I think, the rear dial aperture and hold down record button and turn rear dial to control ISO.
If you use it like that it is the easiest camera I ever used to set iso, shutter and aperture with no auto functions.
You can do it single handed without moving your eye from the viewfinder.
I tell the back button to switch between crop mode because I use that sometimes.
Get a £20 aftermarket battery grip with a nipple controller thingy on the back perhaps, I think it makes it a better camera with a lot more controls.

Or if your going to use auto modes I have no idea because I never used them, I always forced myself to use manual mode.

Turn it on manual mode, go into settings and assign the record button to act as ISO button when you hold it down.
Use the normal shutter button, its close to your ISO button now.
The front command dial is shutter speed I think, the rear dial aperture and hold down record button and turn rear dial to control ISO.
If you use it like that it is the easiest camera I ever used to set iso, shutter and aperture with no auto functions.
You can do it single handed without moving your eye from the viewfinder.
I tell the back button to switch between crop mode because I use that sometimes.
Get a £20 aftermarket battery grip with a nipple controller thingy on the back perhaps, I think it makes it a better camera with a lot more controls.

Or if your going to use auto modes I have no idea because I never used them, I always forced myself to use manual mode.
Can you assign ISO to the record button on the D7200? I set it like this on my D750 but couldn’t find how to do it on my mate’s D7200. Or maybe it was that you couldn’t set auto ISO by the dial? I can’t remember now :LOL:

Front dial can be either aperture or shutter, likewise the rear dial, it just depends how you set it in the menus.

Can you assign ISO to the record button on the D7200? I set it like this on my D750 but couldn’t find how to do it on my mate’s D7200. Or maybe it was that you couldn’t set auto ISO by the dial? I can’t remember now :LOL:

Front dial can be either aperture or shutter, likewise the rear dial, it just depends how you set it in the menus.

Yes its the best thing ever,

in the menu go to the custom setting menu ( pencil icon )
then f controls
then f 9 Assign movie record button.
you can pick ISO, WB, crop mode or none.

This applies to most Nikons so you may already know it. Hold the two buttons with the red format labels next to them for a couple of seconds. The top screen will flash 'for'. Select which card you want to format with the back dial, and press the two buttons again to format that card.

Back