Give one piece of advice.

Edit My Images
No
This is for those with maybe more experience to give some tips to those starting out. However, only one piece of advice per post so its clear to read.

Lets try to not be too obvious such as remember to turn your camera on etc.

I will get the ball rolling.....

When shooting events, slow down and get it right. its all too easy to feel like everything is overtaking you. Its better to get some good shots than lots of bad ones.

Remember the obvious...like turning your camera on, take off the lens cap etc.

:exit:

Take several shots of the same thing, that way at least a few of them should be okay!

Reality is impermanent. Everything constantly changes. A photograph is a way of freezing reality, but remember that the moment before or after the photo was taken may have been the better reality to freeze.

:eek:

When you see the high quality of other peoples' images, don't think:

"I could never be that good!"

think:

"One day, I will be that good!"

composition, composition, compostion

Practice hard enough that you know your camera inside out. The more unconsciously you can adjust the more time you'll have to really feel the shoot.

Always take moment to check your settings before you shoot. It's oh so easy to start taking landscape shots only to realise you have your ISO set sky high from the event you were shooting the night before.

Forget the "rules"
They're not rules, they're just conventions that have been dreamed up over the years.
Break them - each and every one of them.
Don't be a sheep and follow the flock.
You'll be surprised at what you come up with. You may not always like what you've come up with, but you've had a crack at being different.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

An ol' pro once told me (amongst others official tog for culture club, backstreet boys, recently worked on Jools Holland late night show thingy), even after taking photo's for over 30 years, even he feels rusty if he has a short break from using his camera.

In summary, if you don't use it, you lose it! Keep snapping even if you don't have work!

Take other people's advice with a pinch of salt. :)

Take your Chips with salt and Vinegar (y)
Start off as you mean to go on. Become a weekend warrior :D

Read the manual, you will find 99% of your unanswered questions on how to use the camera in it :D

Learn to read the histogram and how exposure compensation affects it.

Don't get hung up at looking at every shot at 100% zoomed in when PPing. Some shots will be slightly oof when zoomed into at this level, enjoy the shot as a whole at a reasonable size and you won't even know.

Get the best kit you can afford, but don't put yourself in debt for it.

Start taking photographs of light, and not of things. I heard this quote and it sums up landscape photography for me. Sadly I don't know who it was attributed to.

Obviously nobody from the Darkside :D

“The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it”

How true is that quote, it was written over 80 years ago but it seems to be more accurate today than ever before.

It is not about having all of the latest gear or going out and grabbing all the newest hot gadgets for photography. It is about using what you have to the fullest extent before even thinking about what else you may need.

Courtesy: http://froknowsphoto.com/a-quote-to-live-by/

Fill the frame and be true to yourself not a clone of what the magazines and so called experts say you should be

Before you release the shutter, consider why you are taking that photograph, what you plan to do with it and who else is going to want to see it.

Buy a spare battery :)

Something I have learnt the hard way is to use your camera every single day. Make no excuses and get it on, take some shots. If possible commit to a photo a day project. Ideally start testing yourself with the images if you have time. You will find that some days you will have more time than others. But even 5 minutes a day is better than nothing.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that throwing money at new equipment is the best way to make your photography improve. You will make your photography improve.
Practice, practice, practice. Learn to use what you have and push it to its limits - and only then, when you've found the limits think about upgrading.

Always wear sunscreen lol

on a serious note, don't be afraid to bump your ISO up, i spent ages worried about coming off ISO100 because i thought the images would be rubbish

Take your eye away from the viewfinder from time to time, you never know what you might be missing

One from Ansel Adams - Exposure bracketing is you and your camera failing to come to an agreement

Back