Given my Digital kit what would you suggest?

Edit My Images
No
So my current digital kit is as follows:

Nikon D7000
17-55 f2.8 DX
35mm f1.8 DX
50mm f1.4 G
80-200 f2.8 AF (screw drive)
and will soon be buying 85mm f1.8.

Panasonic GF1 + lenses

I want to start shooting 35mm film and I'm in 2 minds at the moment. I could pick up a Nikon film body (I know DX lenses won't work but I'm assuming my 50mm & 80-200 will?) so in that case what Nikon film body for < £100 would you recommend?

Another option is to pick up something like the Olympus OM series and I wouldn't mind paying for extra lenses. To be honest I just want to shoot 50mm and I can pick up a body + 50mm lens very cheaply. One tempting option is a guy offered me a body and mint 50mm f1.2 for £300... which seems OK. Given I have a GF1 I could also re-use the lens on that body if I so chose.

I'm not too bothered about AF etc as it's more to get me into better habits plus I love the 35mm film look.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I am sure some one else will suggest something else but I would look at the F100 body. I am fairly sure it will work with the G series lens. Think the F100 maybe more than £100 you have to look around.

The older 80-200 should just about work on any of the Nikon film cameras.

It depends what sort of film camera you want. The only Nikons that will work with your G lens will be the relatively modern ones - so you are looking at the more plastic, DSLR looking cameras from the late 80s and throughout the 90s. That means lots of compatibility with your lenses (the FX ones anyway), but missing out completely on many amazing film cameras.

£300? I'd just buy an OM2 + 50mm f/1.8 for about £100 and be done with that, if you wanted to go down the OM + nifty fifty route. The f/1.2 sounds lovely, but in practical use how often are you going to use it - I'd personally rather push my film (where you use the development process to increase the ISO of the film you shoot) rather than trying to focus hair-thin depth of field at f/1.2.

If you are lucky you might just get a Nikon F3 for £100 but add another £30 and you'll definitely pick one up.

Andy

I could pick up a Nikon film body (I know DX lenses won't work but I'm assuming my 50mm & 80-200 will?) so in that case what Nikon film body for < £100 would you recommend?

What do you think?

yes they will on something like an f65 / f80 , ive just put an 18 - 55dx on an fm and its only from 18 to about 22 mm that you get problems , 22 to 55 was fine

Although bear in mind the 50mm G will barely work with it...

I know, but its such a bl**dy great camera its worth it. (y)

Andy

How about a Nikon F90x, a lump of a camera but again excellent camera. Looking on the Bay, they are going for around the £100 mark.

Back