Giving clients more

Edit My Images
Yes
With the tightening purses at newspapers - and increased competition, from my part I always look for new ways to provide that little bit of extra to my clients.
For a long time it has meant that there has been some video work included alongside providing the still images.. be it 20 second video clip, post game interviews, 2 minute YouTube clip...
And this all while aiming to provide the still images as the main part of my work..

Few days ago I did a game, and covered it with three still cameras and two video cameras (was supposed to be four still cameras, but left one Pocketwizard cable home :-( )
So wrote a small blog entry about it... but as it would feel too much like 'Visit my Blog' ... so I'll copy/paste the article here. Unfortunately I can't post the video here.. but the still images are OK (so guess there is still the 'click to see the video' element here... sorry)

In short what I provided from the game to clients :
- Usual action images - during game/after game
- Video interview with MVP
- 2 minute highlight clip for website/FB/Twitter/Youtube
- 1 minute highlight clip for Instagram

Basketball is of course played on a smaller court - so it is easier with the video/etc - and football/rugby/cricket would probably be a little more difficult to cover in the same way???

Photos first :

p2675603193-4.jpg
p2675603194-3.jpg
p2675603197-3.jpg

So that's the three different still image angles... and then the Copy/Paste to follow...

These days the work of a photographer can be so much more than just photography.

When I want to deliver more than just the still images for the client...

Little example from last nights Korisliiga game in Finland.

Gear :

Canon 1DX mkII + 70-200mm (still images)

Canon 1DX - 17-40mm (still images - behind backboard)

Canon 1DX - 200mm (still images - over the basket)

Canon XF300 camcorder

GoPro 6

Pocketwizard Plus III triggers

With all five cameras - capturing the same action - to provide more content.

Sometimes you need to live up to the #DoMore

Below you will see the five different views that I captured of Vilpas Vikings player John Jordan floating to the hoop. Naturally the three still cameras all have a sequence of about 12 images of the play, the ones on show are just to give the viewpoints of the different cameras.

Link to the Blog article is : http://googabuphotos.zenfolio.com/blog/2017/12/more-than-just-photography
In case you want to see the two videos of this same play...

Lovely image quality. A far cry from when I was covering basketball back in the early 1980s with pushed Tri-X.

Nice work!

I ahve started adding a bit of video here and there.. not brilliant work but appreciated by the teams... this is one i did a week or so ago for a visitng team from queensland at TNS in wales..just did video pre match then concentrated on pics during game

View: https://youtu.be/7CQmwChs43c

Pretty much what I've been doing with local games as well. Tempted by the idea of sticking a GoPro in the goal somewhere though. I figure I can just leave it for the half and it'll do its thing without much input from me.

Lovely image quality. A far cry from when I was covering basketball back in the early 1980s with pushed Tri-X.

Can't say all venues I photograph in are this bright... there have been some real dark caves .. I think the lights at Cheshire Northgate Arena are probably still from the 80's :)

I ahve started adding a bit of video here and there.. not brilliant work but appreciated by the teams... this is one i did a week or so ago for a visitng team from queensland at TNS in wales..just did video pre match then concentrated on pics during game

View: https://youtu.be/7CQmwChs43c

Nice one KIPAX - and these definitely are appreciated by the clubs... you do one, and all of a sudden you find out that it's creeping into your every day work flow. And the 1dX mkII does some lovely video!

Pretty much what I've been doing with local games as well. Tempted by the idea of sticking a GoPro in the goal somewhere though. I figure I can just leave it for the half and it'll do its thing without much input from me.

GoPro in a goal is something I've seen in few places - and the good thing is that it can take some punishment.. so doesn't mind if it falls or gets a hit.. And if you put it high enough on the net.. you should get a pretty decent view from there with the wide angle view on GoPro...

Back