Giving london the movie look?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
The photograph was taken awhile back when I took a trip up to London.
I had a craving to edit a photograph and just completely change the look from the original photograph.

Things done to it: Change the curves levels to the RGB channels, added a new layer for scan lines and dvd border. contrast and saturation.

4086463295_78a96c67e9_o.jpg

Please note this was done on a laptop with an uncalibrated monitor. So things may look a little different from a different computer.

Any tips / comments are appreciated.

Thanks for looking :)

It does look like a snapshot out of a film, the colours and the composition all work that way. I like, I think it'd be a pretty dull shot without the editing... (y)

The processing really achieves what you set out to do (y)
The composition doesn't work for me though I'm afraid, I keep searching past the right hand side of the image for the rest of the bridge. I guess you couldn't get that in without cutting the boat on the far left in half though?

I got a very similar look of a nearly identical view just the other day!

phone-04122008008.jpg

this is completely unprocessed, using my phone as I walked between meetings :)

Think I would agree it has a film look to it, could do with rotating though. Look at the buildings towards the edges of the photo.

Matt

It does look like a snapshot out of a film, the colours and the composition all work that way. I like, I think it'd be a pretty dull shot without the editing... (y)

Hi yes, it was a pretty dull shot without the processing, I was quite surprised that the processing didn't take very long to complete once you have an idea what you want done to it.

Jim.R The processing really achieves what you set out to do
The composition doesn't work for me though I'm afraid, I keep searching past the right hand side of the image for the rest of the bridge. I guess you couldn't get that in without cutting the boat on the far left in half though?

Hehe, that was a mistake on my side, I admit. I was too far away and used up all the 70mm on the sigma 24-70. I suppose in hindsight I could have just cropped the sky off on the wide angle side.

mikeyt I got a very similar look of a nearly identical view just the other day! this is completely unprocessed, using my phone as I walked between meetings

:eek::clap:

matt_ttuk Think I would agree it has a film look to it, could do with rotating though. Look at the buildings towards the edges of the photo.

I did notice and I agree with you it does need a some rotation to set it right. I only realized after posting, the excitement of achieving the look just drew my attention away.

MScotts Excellent effect

Thank you :D and thank you all for spending some time to reply, its very much appreciated.

i like it, it looks really busy. London is a busy place and your photo tells that story. A little rotation and it would be ready for the printer.

Stew

I really like the effect too :) It looks a degree or two wonky though? Might be my eyes mind you!

Back