Giz a hug!

Edit My Images
Yes
It's been too wet for there to be any wildlife outside for me to shoot with my macro lens, so I have been trying it out on my multitude of random animals I own. This is a little millipede I found in one of my snake's enclosures one day, so I kept it :)

The focus is off on the on the face unfortunately :( But I imagined it saying "Giz a hug!" ("Give us a hug").

Click to enlarge, C+C most definitely welcome!

good pic ....but made me shiver :eek: god I suppose you have to be into these kinda beasties but I am afraid not me... try a blonde with a size 42inch bust :nuts: might make me shiver in a different way :D:D

good pic ....but made me shiver :eek: god I suppose you have to be into these kinda beasties but I am afraid not me... try a blonde with a size 42inch bust :nuts: might make me shiver in a different way :D:D

Thanks :) Yeh I forget that perhaps for normal people this wouldn't be quite as cute as it is to me :thinking: I'd rather the millipede over the busty blonde anyday ;) :LOL:

I like it Ash, Nice composition and the focus looks spot on!

Hiya,

This is a nice capture for a bit of warm-hearted fun.

I can see what you mean about the face being off focus, but then all those arms make up for it (kinda says 'take your pic, but don't be greedy' :LOL:).

Like the way you have captured all the colours, and especially the twig it is on (looks so much bigger than one would imagine).

A question though, do snakes eat millipedes? If so, did this little character survive, or has is seen better days? And another question, how did it get there in the first place? (I presume the snakes are in a tank).

Thanks for proving that one can find photo opportunities without having to venuture outdoors.

Dawn :)

The focus is off on the on the face unfortunately :(

We can be our own worst enemies when it comes to critique Ash. Regardless of the focus drifting a wee bit, the stance, lighting and framing make up for things in a big way and make the image a cracker (y)

Hiya,

This is a nice capture for a bit of warm-hearted fun.

I can see what you mean about the face being off focus, but then all those arms make up for it (kinda says 'take your pic, but don't be greedy' :LOL:).

Like the way you have captured all the colours, and especially the twig it is on (looks so much bigger than one would imagine).

A question though, do snakes eat millipedes? If so, did this little character survive, or has is seen better days? And another question, how did it get there in the first place? (I presume the snakes are in a tank).

Thanks for proving that one can find photo opportunities without having to venuture outdoors.

Thank you for your comments Dawn! Haha, yeh, so many arms! It was flailing about looking for something else to grab. As you say, it's a wee little thing in real life:

Centipede-1.jpg

As for the snake/tank thing: it was found in a big 4ft viv I have with a snake in it, on a piece of wood. Snakes don't eat millipedes (dead mice are their favourites), and I didn't put it in there. I presume it came on a piece of wood somehow... I am not sure if it is exotic or native or what, but it's cute! It's been living in a cricket tub for the past few months. :)

That's a bugger isn't it:( The small image looked pretty good too.....

It is! :( Ah well, always next time! None of the other shots I got were such a good pose as that one, it look's so cute there :)

We can be our own worst enemies when it comes to critique Ash. Regardless of the focus drifting a wee bit, the stance, lighting and framing make up for things in a big way and make the image a cracker (y)

Thank you so much! :)

Hiya,

Thanks for the second photo to show how small they actually are.

However, I have seen many of these in South Africa, some reaching very long lengths and over there we call them 'shongologo' (The name "shongololo" comes from the Zulu and Xhosa word meaning "to roll up", which is what these little critters do as a defense when threatened.)

I also remember studying these little creatures at school (although that was many years ago and the grey matter is fading me badly :LOL:), but I recall that if you dissect them between segments 2 and 22 (don't quote me on those numbers exact), they have the ability to regenerate another body or head. WARNING: Please don't try that at home! :LOL:

Now you know why I can appreciate this photo so much. I have never seen one in the wild in this country so I think it may just be an import. You are very privilaged to have one - take care of the little bugger (and by the way having it with the crickets is probs not a bad thing, after all I think he may just have the upper hand at beating them :LOL:)

Great thread, and I hope others can see the humour and appreciate such a gorgeous little beast.

Cheers

Hiya,

Thanks for the second photo to show how small they actually are.

However, I have seen many of these in South Africa, some reaching very long lengths and over there we call them 'shongologo' (The name "shongololo" comes from the Zulu and Xhosa word meaning "to roll up", which is what these little critters do as a defense when threatened.)

I also remember studying these little creatures at school (although that was many years ago and the grey matter is fading me badly :LOL:), but I recall that if you dissect them between segments 2 and 22 (don't quote me on those numbers exact), they have the ability to regenerate another body or head. WARNING: Please don't try that at home! :LOL:

Now you know why I can appreciate this photo so much. I have never seen one in the wild in this country so I think it may just be an import. You are very privilaged to have one - take care of the little bugger (and by the way having it with the crickets is probs not a bad thing, after all I think he may just have the upper hand at beating them :LOL:)

Great thread, and I hope others can see the humour and appreciate such a gorgeous little beast.

Cheers

No worries :) That one was taken when I first found it ages ago. I assume the one's you're referring to are the giant african millipedes ( Archispirostreptus gigas)? I hoped it was one of those... but in months it hasn't grown at all so I don't think it is. I did do some googling and google tells me that there are small black millipedes in the wild in the UK, but as I say I am not sure if it is that or not!

When I say cricket tub, I mean a cricket tub just to him self :LOL: It's got some leaves and soil and wood and things in there, and I keep it warm and moist for him and offer veggies now and again. Seem's to be doing ok.

Thank you for your comments :love: I hope the others find it cute and not digusting too! :D

No worries :) That one was taken when I first found it ages ago. I assume the one's you're referring to are the giant african millipedes ( Archispirostreptus gigas)? I hoped it was one of those... but in months it hasn't grown at all so I don't think it is. I did do some googling and google tells me that there are small black millipedes in the wild in the UK, but as I say I am not sure if it is that or not!

When I say cricket tub, I mean a cricket tub just to him self :LOL: It's got some leaves and soil and wood and things in there, and I keep it warm and moist for him and offer veggies now and again. Seem's to be doing ok.

Thank you for your comments :love: I hope the others find it cute and not digusting too! :D

How long ago did you find the little gem? It sounds like you are taking good care of it ;).

You made reference to the giant african millipedes ( Archispirostreptus gigas), and yes those are the ones I was talking about (they can get so long, they are sometimes mistaken as small snakes). Also in SA bugs are referred to as 'gogas' which kinda gels with the 'gigas'.

Please take care of the little one - idea for a thread may be 'a day in the life of a shongologo' :LOL: (I would be the biggest fan) ;)

Take care

How long ago did you find the little gem? It sounds like you are taking good care of it ;).

You made reference to the giant african millipedes ( Archispirostreptus gigas), and yes those are the ones I was talking about (they can get so long, they are sometimes mistaken as small snakes). Also in SA bugs are referred to as 'gogas' which kinda gels with the 'gigas'.

Please take care of the little one - idea for a thread may be 'a day in the life of a shongologo' :LOL: (I would be the biggest fan) ;)

Take care

Just looked at the EXIF date for the image: 7th December that first picture was taken, so on that day I found him I think.

I will be sure to take good care of him :) He seem's to do well with very little care! I may have to get him out again sometime for a photoshoot then ;)

Yeh, good idea, would be great to see some updated pics of its life (I say 'it' as not sure the gender).

I :love: the fact that you have a 'shongololo' as a pet - how cool is that :cool:

D :)

Hiya mate, nice picture... you should be able to replicate it by putting it on the wood again, they tend to wave about a bit to taste the air to find either food or direction.

Could be good to have some rotting food in there as they like to eating decaying leaves and veg etc... they tend to be good recyclers. might even be ok to keep in with your snake.

What snake is it by the way?

Hi Ash try posting on the "Wild about Britain" website for a reply to it's natural habitat, it's Latin name, it's size and what it had for breakfast in about 3 seconds :)

Hiya mate, nice picture... you should be able to replicate it by putting it on the wood again, they tend to wave about a bit to taste the air to find either food or direction.

Could be good to have some rotting food in there as they like to eating decaying leaves and veg etc... they tend to be good recyclers. might even be ok to keep in with your snake.

What snake is it by the way?

Aye I may well have another go then, he's quite photogenic :)

Yeh that's what it's got at the moment: soil, mud, leaves (fresh and dry), moss and the odd veggy skin like carrot.

I have 3 snakes currently, but the one it was found in was the 4ft viv the brazilian rainbow boa is in.

Hi Ash try posting on the "Wild about Britain" website for a reply to it's natural habitat, it's Latin name, it's size and what it had for breakfast in about 3 seconds :)

Thanks John! I may just do that! :D

Yeah mine is very fiesty, one min he is nice and calm next min he bolts and almost jumps out of my arms. Got quite a funny personality, lovely colours when he sheds too.

Yeah mine is very fiesty, one min he is nice and calm next min he bolts and almost jumps out of my arms. Got quite a funny personality, lovely colours when he sheds too.

Hehe, aww! I had to move mine the other day while he was in shed... a snake hook was needed :|

I was scares of my corn! It bit my mate after I said 'no don't put your hand it, he might bite'...... Guess what happened!

I miss all my snakes :-( I had 6 all at once and used to love feeding time!! Especially my tricoloured hognose, he was the cutest eater!

I was scares of my corn! It bit my mate after I said 'no don't put your hand it, he might bite'...... Guess what happened!

I miss all my snakes :-( I had 6 all at once and used to love feeding time!! Especially my tricoloured hognose, he was the cutest eater!

I'd rather hold my blood python than my corn... that's saying something :LOL: Tricolours are very pretty indeed :)

It is soft especially around the head/eye, I would crop in a lot tighter as there is a lot of negative space, top, right and a bit on the left. Nice pet though!

Back