glare

Name
ash
Edit My Images
No
Hi I'm Ash from north wales. I went to an airshow in Southport last week and i used my canon s120 to capture the red arrows and battle of britain flight. I took 4000 pics as i had camera on continuous burst. It frustrated me though because i couldn't see the lcd screen and it was reflecting what was behind me and it reflected my t shirt. I was shooting into the sun on the first night and i couldn't see the lcd screen but the 2nd day i wasnt shooting into the sun but i still couldn't see. I couldn't see what i was shooting so it was down to point the camera and hope for the best. What is going on, why is the lcd reflecting what's behind me? i do have a screen protector on. Could it be the screen protector that's causing all the reflections on the screen??

You need one of these or similar device :

Viewfinder25X_zps2a296a1f.jpg

It's possible the screen protector might make things worse (you can get matte finish protectors that may not be as bad), but there'll always be situations where a rear LCD is hard to use, especially in bright sunlight. A camera with an eye-level viewfinder of some kind, optical or electronic, is probably the best answer. Not many compact cameras have these, but a dSLR would be an option, or a 'bridge' camera (with an electronic viewfinder) that's intermediate in size between a compact and a dSLR. I haven't tried the type of accessory linked above - a low-tech old school alternative would be to improvise some sort of 'dark cloth', a hood that shields your eyes and the screen from the ambient light while allowing the lens to poke out the other end. These were popular in the early days of photography for focusing on dim ground-glass screen, and you sometimes see people re-purposing a jumper or something to shield their digital LCDs in a similar way!

I have a Canon S120 camera that I don’t know how to use properly. I recently went to an airshow with a mate of mine, he had a Canon 720D and I was using my Canon S120. My shots look poor compared with his shots as my shots were of aircraft far away, I wanted to zoom in but I couldn’t see the LCD screen because it was reflecting my t shirt and what was behind me. I was shooting into sunlight. My mate told me he had a 250mm lens on max zoom. He showed me his photo’s, they are close up shots of aircraft but the aircraft were pretty far out. When he showed me it looked as though he was right next to the aircraft, that close. Should I upgrade my camera, to what would you suggest or is my S120 fine?

For editing images, does cropping reduce the pixel quality or is it only if you zoom in with a camera then crop when editing that you lose quality? I’m not good at editing, is there a basic guide to simple editing?

Back