Critique Glasgow at night - colours and B&Ws

Prefer all the colour ones and the BBC one is a cracker!

Reactions: ST4
I think they're all great shots. Like both the colour and b&w, with the exception of the BBC shot, where I'm less keen on the b&w shot.
The SECC colour one is my overall favourite.

Mono are preferred. the color ones just look flat and undersaturated and not like the real thing.

Last edited:
Really nice. I like the colour versions too. Surprised they'd be describes as under saturated. If anything I'd say they're nudging the opposite end of the scale for my taste but I do like them. Sky park and BBC are my favorites. Got to be happy to find water that still!

colour for me (y) I'm a sucker for this type of shots

Really nice. I like the colour versions too. Surprised they'd be describes as under saturated. If anything I'd say they're nudging the opposite end of the scale for my taste but I do like them. Sky park and BBC are my favorites. Got to be happy to find water that still!

Yep. The secc Will look pushed a bit but I had to under expose to stop the highlights taking over. The sky was a lot brighter. I couldn't be gaffed with a blend as it's not a factor.

The skypark shot, the sun dipped behind and the reflection on the tinted glass was really vivid against the blue backdrop of the dusky sky.

BBC, as it was really.

Nice, love the comp and overall exposure of 1. I prefer the colour, though the momo looks good. I don't know if it's my screen but it looks a little over sharpened, giving too much 'structure' if that makes sense.

SECC mono I prefer - very nice abstract!

BBC Corker, although would prefer to see at the blue hour, therefore prefer the mono,

Nice work. Keep posting

I think its downscaling, I uploaded at 1024 but have posted them at 800 accross. When you see it at web res hosted here, it looks too sharp for sure. I wish you could see the full res, its amazing what these 800 sensors pick up.

BBC I'd love to shot a bit earlier in blue hour, getting the conditions with the right light, with the tides giving still water and no wind, the clyde scapes are eluding me a bit just now.

Undersaturated? I am very conservative with PP but did increase saturation, contrast and vibrance a tad. I don't go for the luminous HDR look so many like but thats me
Maybe the auditorium is okay saturation wise but the others don't look like the real thing to me.

Great set as usual Steve, both of the BBC shots are top notch

Last one has a pleasing balance of tones. The rest don't really do it for me composition-wise (lack of foreground; random use of lines)

I was expecting to see pictures of punch ups :coat:

Everyone is scared away when they see that tripod come out :p :)

Maybe the auditorium is okay saturation wise but the others don't look like the real thing to me.

You think they are understaturated not over saturared just to be clear. IIRC I've turned editing on, have a play with them if you want. I am always interested what others think, have an edit, show me how you think they should be.

Last edited:
You think they are understaturated not over saturared just to be clear. IIRC I've turned editing on, have a play with them if you want. I am always interested what others think, have an edit, show me how you think they should be.
Yes undersaturated. I'll decline the editing, I've plenty of my own works to be doing. If you are happy with them fine, no problem, take pictures for yourself, not others.

I think these are really good and prefer the colour ones.

The only suggestions I have relate to technique some of these are not shot at base ISO it's always best to shoot at base ISO because dynamic range falls of quiet quickly as ISO increases. Good dynamic range is obviously important for night photography when you have very bright and very dark areas.

You are also shooting with quiet small apertures eg. f/11 and f/13, normally once you get above about f/10 you are starting to get diffraction limiting, also the stars from lights are generally sharper and more spiky at small apertures. You could have used say f/5.6 and set the a hyperfocal distance to 18.6m and this would have meant you everything from 12m - infinity would have been in focus, I use this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html which you can get as iPhone app.

I think these are really good and prefer the colour ones.

The only suggestions I have relate to technique some of these are not shot at base ISO it's always best to shoot at base ISO because dynamic range falls of quiet quickly as ISO increases. Good dynamic range is obviously important for night photography when you have very bright and very dark areas.

You are also shooting with quiet small apertures eg. f/11 and f/13, normally once you get above about f/10 you are starting to get diffraction limiting, also the stars from lights are generally sharper and more spiky at small apertures. You could have used say f/5.6 and set the a hyperfocal distance to 18.6m and this would have meant you everything from 12m - infinity would have been in focus, I use this http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html which you can get as iPhone app.

True in the 1st two images 12m being the nearest thing in focus would have caused blurring and the distance scale on my lens goes from 2m to infinity in a really narrow scale. To play it safe I went small

Colour are awesome but i'm a sucker for black and white and much prefer those...:love::love:

First two mono shots work best for me, especially the arc.
BBC in colour, although from a personal standpoint I'm off BBC reflection images - nothing to do with your shot though.

Definitely prefer the colour , the B&W works on the first one , but not the latter two (imo of course)

Back