Glasgow at Night

Name
Charlene
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

So i got my first DSLR last September and have been happily snapping away since but if I'm ever going to get better i need to bite the bullet and get some feedback.

These are a few shots i took by the Clyde side but I'm have trouble getting the night sky to be dark. I think it has something to do with white balance but i don't know what WB setting to use.

Any help will be welcome.

Glasgow Arc Bridge by Since Now, on Flickr

Kingston Bridge by Since Now, on Flickr

Glasgow Arc Bridge by Since Now, on Flickr

Finnieston Crane by Since Now, on Flickr

Thank you Carl. I was thinking the sky in image 3 and 4 is almost pink. Any idea how I can stop that from happening?

Stuff the sky, the images stand out without it being black, lovely set.

Actually I prefer the light sky - interesting counterpoint to the dark water with the bright reflections. I really like these!

Quite a nice set. I think the sky is ok as is, you wont get away from the light pollution in shots like this, and it suits the scenes.

I think No 1 could do with a crop on the bottom to get rid of the railing (?) and some of the water.

Same with the railing on No 2, its distracting. And perhaps this one is a bit underexposed.

No 3 is good, but is it possible to get a different vantage point and get the whole of the reflection in the scene?

No 4 I would crop out the bottom.

Was it cloudy? When taking night shots of the same scene on different nights before i have put this down to the light being reflected back off the clouds.
Look nice though.

Also how dodgy is it going out with a camera in this are at night? I live fairly close by and always worry slightly about going down there at night.

Thank yous for taking time to comment and your kind words.

Was it cloudy? When taking night shots of the same scene on different nights before i have put this down to the light being reflected back off the clouds.
Look nice though.

Ah the penny drops, thanks Danny and Alan. The first two shots which are a bit darker were taken on a different night. I can't remember if it was clear but i guessing now it was.

Also how dodgy is it going out with a camera in this are at night? I live fairly close by and always worry slightly about going down there at night.

Danny i was also a little worried about wandering around with a camera so took my other half with me as a bit of muscle lol. It was round about 10:30 and the only people around where dog walkers, cyclist and photographers.

Cracking set:)

Skies aren't dark

1. You've not over exposed but certainly not under
2. The surrounding light and light polution

Theres a lot to like here but see your 3rd one, you've alas cut the bottom reflection off sadly, otherwise that would have been...Perfect

Theres a lot to like here but see your 3rd one, you've alas cut the bottom reflection off sadly, otherwise that would have been...Perfect

I did kinda think about that at the time but i struggled to get the full reflection into the shot. Think i need to find a better angle for this next time.

Much better IMO, they just look more balanced :)

Just my opinion of course

Think your right, the shots look better cropped.

DSC_0036Crop by Since Now, on Flickr

Found one with the full reflection. When i first looked at this i didn't like it as it had a lot of the railing in the shot. The magic of Photoshop fixed that lol

Back