Scotland Glasgow for a day. What is there?

Edit My Images
Yes
There's talk that @Billy and I might come up from Preston to Glasgow at the end of October. Just for the day. Arriving at 9AM and leaving 3-4PM.
We've no idea what there is photographically.
Neither of us have been to the city before so we need help.
There must be someone on here who lives in/around so can someone give us clues as to how two strangers can fill a day?
If you want to join in that's fine. Date isn't set in stone yet, but it's looking fairly definite for 28th.

I live there :). In terms of landscapes there's the likes of the Mitchell Library (better at night) and everything on the Clyde front i.e. The SSE Hydro, Armadillo, Bells bridge, Squinty Bridge, Squiggly bridge, the red bridge at South Portland street. You have the Lighthouse which is just off of Buchanan Street which has a spiral staircase. There's the Argyle St underground which is interesting looking but I struggle to find the best composition unless it's at the bottom of the stairs but they don't like photos so need to be quick. There's the Necropolis which is beside the Glasgow Cathedral. There's old buildings staggered around the Merchant City. You have the famous cone on the head statue (Duke of Wellington) just off Buchanan St at Royal Exchange Square with the museum behind it. Buchanan/Argyle/Sauchiehall St are all full of people for street photography.

The Hidden Glasgow site can offer insights into underground places etc as well :)

Last edited:
Thanks. That's a good start. We'll only be there during daylight hours and I suspect we'll be above ground all the time on this first visit.
We'll see how things progress......

Methinks you might get into Street Photography is it's all daylight stuff

do you drive ie you coming by train or car ps the 1st oct is the great run if you drive luss and the loch is about a hour away theres also the old mine and the tram and old mine houses at summerlee or the riverside transport museum

No car. We're coming up by train from Preston.
Yes, we are sassenachs! !!
Just coming up for the day to see the city.
£11 from Preston by Virgin. Great value.
So all we are looking for is central and photogenic locations. Train home is 4PM and we'll fancy a beer before that.

We did this and enjoyed it. We got a free (or very cheap) bus pass for the day when we bought the train ticket.
Bus right outside train station to Kelvingrove. Not really a photo trip, just a day out with wife so not many pics.

get on the red open top tour bus it takes you to all the main attractions and you learn about the city
you can hop on and hop off all day long there is a bus every 15 min to jump on or off
do the whole tour first that way you will see where yo want to spend time
highly recommended

The Lighthouse staircase Buchanan Street

P2180003_zpskgsgul0x.jpg

The Transport Museum

P2150083_zpsizx1s0of.jpg

Thanks guys. Lots of good suggestions so far.
If anyone wants to earn a free pint then we'll happily follow you round!!!

Back