Glasgow: George Square

Name
RJ
Edit My Images
No
Two similar shots I took the other other night of the Olympic rings displayed in George Square in Glasgow city centre. In the first I focused on the rings, whilst in the second I choose to focus on the grass in the foreground.

As I'm new to DSLR photography, any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Olympic Rings by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Olympic Rings by skysh4rk, on Flickr

Nice idea and composition. Have you got one that focuses on the rings, with the background out of focus.

No2 works for me - love the colours and the focal point.

Thanks!

Have you got one that focuses on the rings, with the background out of focus.

I tried to get that shot, but I was having trouble getting the rings in the frame in a way that I liked whilst also throwing the background out of focus. I think this difficulty was due to the 35mm f1.8 I was using, which, as I understand it, requires me to be quite close to the subject to get that shallow depth of field, although it's also possible—or even likely—that the difficulty resulted from my relative lack of experience.

Anyhow, my opportunities for experimentation were also limited by the rather unexpectedly large number of tourists that kept climbing all over the rings at 10:30 on a Sunday night.

Perhaps, I'll pop back into town later this week to try again when there may be fewer people walking around.

I am guessing the rings are some thing like 3-5m from the camera if you focused on the rings at f/1.8 the depth of field is only going to be a couple of meters at that range. Did you try a portrait shot.

Back