Critique Glasgow Riverside Blue Hour(s)

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
What a great set, I love how vibrant they are and the use of colour (I've no idea if the scene is as colourful of this as I've never visited this part of Glasgow before).

Reactions: ST4
What a great set, I love how vibrant they are and the use of colour (I've no idea if the scene is as colourful of this as I've never visited this part of Glasgow before).

There's been the usual contrast, sharpening and colour channel adjustments but to be honest, on a clearish day in blue hour this is pretty much how the riverside looks. The problem is to get the high tide so the water is still, the low winds to stop it rippling, and the clear weather all on the same day can be really tough. It took me the best part of a year to get the first two captured just as I wanted them too.

Well done steve. Perseverance do pay! The third one is a strong one too!

There's been the usual contrast, sharpening and colour channel adjustments but to be honest, on a clearish day in blue hour this is pretty much how the riverside looks. The problem is to get the high tide so the water is still, the low winds to stop it rippling, and the clear weather all on the same day can be really tough. It took me the best part of a year to get the first two captured just as I wanted them too.

Good job you didn't try and shoot there today! :)

No chance of anything like that. I am pretty choosy when it comes to the conditions I wish to shoot in, today is a day for the interweb and the tv, not for going out with the camera.

I know what you mean, besides working (I work from home so I can pretty much come and go as I please) it's not a good day for shooting. I don't mind the cold but when it's raining it's not ideal.

I know what you mean, besides working (I work from home so I can pretty much come and go as I please) it's not a good day for shooting. I don't mind the cold but when it's raining it's not ideal.

I am just off work today. Thankfully. I had toyed with going through to Edinburgh but the forecast is much of a likeness there. TV wins out. I can put up with the cold, but my vision for landscapes and cityscapes doesn't have wind/rain/overcast involved.

All are mighty fine shots, number 1 is my favourite.

Looks like I have to do a couple of days in Glasgow for work later in the year, if I can fit camera and tripod in the plane bag I might have to try something similar!

These are really good compositions and you can tell you have put a lot of work in selecting the locations and getting the timings right for the tide and weather. I think you still need to do a bit of work on your exposures though.

What I find is that the best period for photographing buildings after sunset is not really the mythical Blue Hour. This period relates to landscape photography where there is a reasonable period of natural available light which you can make use of by adjusting the camera exposure settings. Unfortunately with Architectural photography we are limited by the levels of artificial light that radiate from the building and the area around it. With Architectural photography we have to pick the exposure value that will give us the optimum exposure of the artificially lit parts of the building and then wait for the period when the sky reaches the optimum darkness to match our interior exposure level. If we shoot to early then the sky will be too bright and if we shoot too late the sky will be too dark. In reality this period of matching light levels is really short at about 10 - 15 mins.

The first photos in the set are the best in terms of composition and choice of subject matter but I think the last photo in the set has the best balance between the artificially lit sections and the sky.

Back