weekly Dawn.Calinski TP52 2015 •• Week 2 •• Fragile Added

Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first TP 52 so let's do this.. I did one for Instagram last year but I didn't get far with it, not through lack of imagination and creativity, but work and other things got in the way, but this year the plan is to try to make time for "me" stuff, including photography. I'd like to get out of my comfort zone of the same type of photos so I think this would be both fun and therapeutic for me as well as learning new methods.

Week 1: Bliss
Week 2 : Fragile
Week 3 :
Week 4 :
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :

Starting off with Week 1: Bliss

http://flic.kr/p/qo6Gpv

Why:
A gift from my husband, while a late one, reminds me how scatterbrained but thoughtful he is. Bliss.

How:
F 5.6 • 1/13 • 55mm

When:
08/01/15

Last edited:
Hey Dawn. Good start. Simply image but well executed. I like the angle you chose for the shot. Would it benefit from a touch more light on the outside of the bowl without destroying the lovely contrast you have between the bowl and the writing. Could debate for a long time whether more of the bowl could be in the frame and less of the table top, but personally I like it as it is. Look forward to week 2!

Good idea and well executed (with the message in focus). It took me a second or two to work out that it's a small bowl, so I wonder whether next time you could take a slightly wider shot, that shows more of the bowl and its contents.

Hey Dawn. Good start. Simply image but well executed. I like the angle you chose for the shot. Would it benefit from a touch more light on the outside of the bowl without destroying the lovely contrast you have between the bowl and the writing. Could debate for a long time whether more of the bowl could be in the frame and less of the table top, but personally I like it as it is. Look forward to week 2!

I did try this first time around, but putting some light on the outside didn't put as much emphasis on the words (bleached them out, for lack of a better term) as I had hoped, plus the purple background wasn't as deep. I do need some more practice in lighting though :) thanks for the CC always appreciated especially as I'm a newbie!

Good idea and well executed (with the message in focus). It took me a second or two to work out that it's a small bowl, so I wonder whether next time you could take a slightly wider shot, that shows more of the bowl and its contents.

Sometimes I forget how easy it is for the person behind the camera to overlook identification of the subject as they know exactly what's in front of them, so this is useful CC, thanks :) I took about 12 shots of the bowl and I chose this one for the tight composition - I find that the closer I get to the subject the better (shallow) the depth of field, so I need to work on this, I have difficulties getting a good DOF when shooting from a considerable distance.

Sometimes I forget how easy it is for the person behind the camera to overlook identification of the subject as they know exactly what's in front of them, so this is useful CC, thanks :) I took about 12 shots of the bowl and I chose this one for the tight composition - I find that the closer I get to the subject the better (shallow) the depth of field, so I need to work on this, I have difficulties getting a good DOF when shooting from a considerable distance.

You might find a depth of field calculator app helpful, I've got one on my android phone and find it's useful, especially for close up work.

@susiejb a few bits of jewelry and hair accessories! -

A silver DKNY watch
One or two hair grips
Wedding ring (I take it off when putting makeup on)
Engagement ring (as above)

I think it's the watch that's visible (though out of focus, intentionally) (y)

welcome Dawn

cute bowl ... nicely captured.

Great start, I love the lighting and the simplicity of the image, well executed and a great start.

Hi, and welcome, it doesn't scream bliss to me, but maybe our photograph shouldn't be obvious and require a level of thought on the part of the viewer :thinking:

Anyway, I like the tilt, the shadow and muted tones. A little more light maybe.

Good start.

Cheers.

I like that image Dawn. Part of me wants to think it's in the middle of the living room table and it has half a dozen car keys in it :eek:

But it's well captured... a smidge more exposure might work for me, although you've those highlights inside the bowl to manage. Very subtlely done though and a nice take on the theme. Well done!

Nice take on theme. Great start good luck with your 52 for this year

I like the jaunty angle you've purposely chosen on this. The choice of bowl is good as well plus for me the lighting is spot on. Not that I know anything about this sort of thing but it did remind of those "parties" where the keys are thrown in the bowl :exit:

Hi Dawn :)

Welcome to the TP52... hoping you get much more out of this one that the Instagram 52 you started.

An interesting first shot, not sure what's in the bowl but guess that is not of interest, liking the angle as others have said, some real nice detail on the bowl and cloth, looks nicely lit on my monitor too, good start (y)

I like that image Dawn. Part of me wants to think it's in the middle of the living room table and it has half a dozen car keys in it :eek:

But it's well captured... a smidge more exposure might work for me, although you've those highlights inside the bowl to manage. Very subtlely done though and a nice take on the theme. Well done!

I didn't think of it like that, lol. An alternative meaning of the word bliss :)
As I say in other posts, I do need to work on lighting a bit more, I'm one of those "anti-flash" people (unless the scene really needs it) but recognise that there are alternatives to flash.

Nice take on theme. Great start good luck with your 52 for this year

Thanks! Hoping I will follow it though :)

I like the jaunty angle you've purposely chosen on this. The choice of bowl is good as well plus for me the lighting is spot on. Not that I know anything about this sort of thing but it did remind of those "parties" where the keys are thrown in the bowl :exit:

I'm a sucker for composition and angle, hopefully all my 52s won't run the same in terms of composition and I'll get out of my comfort zone. You're the second person to note that it's similar to a "bowl of keys".. perhaps I have an innocent point of view, lol

Hi Dawn :)

Welcome to the TP52... hoping you get much more out of this one that the Instagram 52 you started.

An interesting first shot, not sure what's in the bowl but guess that is not of interest, liking the angle as others have said, some real nice detail on the bowl and cloth, looks nicely lit on my monitor too, good start (y)

Definitely, Instagram isn't somewhere where you can get some genuine CC for photo challenges, so looking forwards to the new theme tomorrow. Out of curiosity, what monitor and resolution are you using?

Hiya Dawn... nothing wrong with being "anti-flash" (as long as you don't stay that way forever :) )... to be honest, flash is quite hard to use because it's only "on" when you're actually taking the photo.

I'd always recommend starting with natural window light on an overcast day - which is basically a good sized softbox but always on. If you have a tripod and either a white sheet or large (A2) white board then you're done. It's not as easy with moving subjects of course, but if you have flexibility with shutter speed then lighting is all about control, rather than intensity (you make the light brighter simply by keeping your shutter open longer).

Enjoy the challenge - I think we're all keeping our fingers crossed today that this week's theme is going to be kinder!!

Thanks @pjm1 those are some good tips. I already use a few things to set off the mood when it comes to backgrounds. One of my other photos I used two ringbinders as the background so it worked well considering I didn't pay out for pro backdrops or a lightbox. I don't have a tripod right now (technically my husband has one but the top part that screws onto the camera body has gone walkabout) but I do have a gorillapod which works well for still life and closeups. I usually take shots on my desk or the table for closeups because of the large "play" area, sadly they're on the other side of the room from the window but will play around for future 52 (51) themes :)

I'm bracing myself for the comments about this not entirely sticking to the theme.. but here goes! I decided to go the other way and shoot something not entirely obvious, and chose a subject used to treat fragile conditions. I use this to treat my dry and fragile skin at night. Additionally, in this shot I made my first attempt at light techniques without using the flash.

Fragile
by calinski on Flickr

Hi, like the bowl pic has a nice BG and just enough focus for me a nice abstract image

fragile, you have totally missed the focus seems to be a little shake in there, might be worth trying again

Fragile - it works for the theme for me, and your not alone I use the same product to protect my skin. Interesting composition not to sure if I like it or not sorry, I find the area of white under the tub on the left of the image a little distracting, and it seems just a little to dark on the right of the image.

@alsjazzera @Pinkbikerbabe thanks for your CC really appreciate it.
I tried as much as I can in Lightroom to sharpen the image but there is only so much you can do in PP, and true I can retake it - It's not a one shot opportunity. @Pinkbikerbabe I was experimenting with light methods and used some light behind the products to shine through the container. Perhaps next time I can tone it down or move it further away from the subject/s.

I'm not someone who can't take CC, I take it as a learning opportunity, in fact in my line of work as a Graphic Designer it's part of my job description ;)

Back