glasgow school of art on fire once more

Name
rab
Edit My Images
No
yep its up in flames hope no ones hurt

Heard on the bbc news and page here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44504659

Tragic historic and architectural loss if damaged again beyond restoration but as Ian @Ian W says "how did it happen..." Only time will tell following analysis but the news reporting mentions blasts.....can only surmise gas canisters 'going up' from repair gear/kit.

Wasn't Windsor Castle burned as a result of kit causing the fire but if so at the Mackintosh, what cost & price of poor practices! :(

Last edited:
Terrible news - so many hopes for it to reopen after the repairs to the original fire.

The Glasgow Fire Service seemed to have got it under control when the fire erupted [emoji20]

Atruly special building so fingers crossed that this is not the end, this time.

It's heartbreaking, to lose it once was bad enough but this time it is even worse. :(

just dont understand how this can happen again, where is all the fire suppression stuff.
bet it turns out ot the builders screwing up leaving flammable materials in the wrong place.

Well it's going to need a full investigation, the problem is that if it is still undergoing restoration there may be many causes. There are a high proportion of fires during the construction, or restoration phase of a project. Much of it lies in not carrying out the work as stated. For something like this there would have needed to be thorough risk assessments and method statements, as well as no doubt permits to work etc. It would be interesting to see if these are being followed correctly. That being said, it could have been arson, or something else totally unrelated to the works being carried out.

As for the suppression system, I don't know what has been fitted, if anything. And even if it was operational at the time, often such systems are isolated during works, but again this needs to be assessed and mitigated. The problem is that often those carrying out the assessments, and putting control measures in place, are not there to ensure these procedures are being followed.

Either way, it is a very sad incident, but if there is a positive it is that no-one was injured or worse.

Well it's going to need a full investigation, the problem is that if it is still undergoing restoration there may be many causes. There are a high proportion of fires during the construction, or restoration phase of a project. Much of it lies in not carrying out the work as stated. For something like this there would have needed to be thorough risk assessments and method statements, as well as no doubt permits to work etc. It would be interesting to see if these are being followed correctly. That being said, it could have been arson, or something else totally unrelated to the works being carried out.

As for the suppression system, I don't know what has been fitted, if anything. And even if it was operational at the time, often such systems are isolated during works, but again this needs to be assessed and mitigated. The problem is that often those carrying out the assessments, and putting control measures in place, are not there to ensure these procedures are being followed.

Either way, it is a very sad incident, but if there is a positive it is that no-one was injured or worse.

Incredible coincidence, that's for sure. It will be an interesting investigation.
Previous fire occurred when flammable gas from a foam spray being used by students was ignited by the heat from a projector. At that time a fire suppression system was being installed, but not operational.

Class A listed building !

pictures on bbc its totally destroyed

The restoration was all but finished, it was due to open again in a couple of weeks I think.

it is a shame it was well up from the live feed video i saw last night i also seen some one comment that it was just a small fire at the roof to start with so who knows how or where it started

its done for, i can't see a rebuild on this.
and to be fair i am completely disgusted with whoever are the guardians of this building.
one fire on an old famous building thats a poor do, 2nd one 4 years later, shame on you.

There should be a complete set of drawings and photographs of this building, one of the most important in the world.

In the old days many buildings were destroyed by fire and rebuilt. This one should be too. It was a building of ideas, not one of materials. Yes, the materials were important, but the ideas were way more important.

Let me propose a wild conspiracy theory, and I hope it is just that. Was it an insurance job due to repair or finance troubles??! I

I did wonder that myself but there’s been no shortage of government and private cash for the restoration work so I can’t see it.

Not sure to what extent it would have been insured given that it was an active building site still, with it would seem no functioning safety systems as of yet.

There should be a complete set of drawings and photographs of this building, one of the most important in the world.

In the old days many buildings were destroyed by fire and rebuilt. This one should be too. It was a building of ideas, not one of materials. Yes, the materials were important, but the ideas were way more important.

Let me propose a wild conspiracy theory, and I hope it is just that. Was it an insurance job due to repair or finance troubles??! I

I think you are bit too quick on the draw with that one.

In the fire 4 years ago 90% of the structure and 70% of the contents were saved, but the irreplaceable library was lost. Restoration work has cost about £35 millions. The Art school was due to open next year.

The recent fire has caused much more severe damage. From the aerial pictures it is hard to tell if anything is left.

Reports so far indicate that the fire service were extremely quick on the scene. There is a major fire station literally only a few minutes drive from the Art School.

I know, it's so sad.

We were up in Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games and I took my kids up to see the school, the smell of the May fire a few months earlier still in the air. I said that when it was restored we should go see it.

In my mind, regarding the importance of this building, was this restoration.

Let's see who's first with the planning aplication and just how many get put in. Me synical, HELL YESS!

When you say Glasgow do you mean the people or the council?

Both, there’s no way the public would allow it and the current Council are unlikely to let a developer do anything with it either.

Wait and watch. It won't be the first nor the last time. I wouldn't be surprised if someone not very rich in the city suddenly built a very nice house for themselves in the process too.

I’d be stunned if Glasgow allowed anything else to be built on that site, even if it did transpire that the whole structure needs to be knocked down.

I will be wandering in to GG this weekend (currently working in Erskine) so will wander up and have a look.
I suspect if anything a nice new art school made of steel and glass that doesn't burn well.

Back