Glass for sport

Name
Paul Bennett
Edit My Images
Yes
There seem to be alot of sporty togs here, especially for motorsport. What glass do you people use? As i have the chance to attend some porsche cup races, as my friend works for porsche and has landed himself a pit crew job.

The longest lens i have is the nikon 70-300 f4.5 VR how ever im never 100% impressed with it. Manily because its not that sharp. Maybe im being picky (i think i am) :bonk:

I think it would be a good starting point, but curious to what others use. I would love to attend some rally events too...would look awesome

I'd say that for sport your first choice lens would be a 70-200mm or 80-200mm f:2.8 lens (and not because I have one for sale either! :p )

This is the fastest telezoom you'll get and the best lens for sport before you start getting into the silly money of 200mm f:2.0's, 300mm f:2.8's and 400mm f:2.8's.

I've got the 80-200mm f/2.8D lens and it's soo nice!! Got a really nice deal on it was well. Have a look at those or 70-200mm. Try and get the AF-S version as then you can use a teleconverter and double the focal length.

However seeing as both of these lenses stop at 200mm it all depends on how far you are going to be away from the action, therefore a longer focal length lens would be better, NorthernNikon said, 300mm, 400mm. Have a look on eBay for them.

I've got the 80-200mm f/2.8D lens and it's soo nice!! Got a really nice deal on it was well. Have a look at those or 70-200mm. Try and get the AF-S version as then you can use a teleconverter and double the focal length.

However seeing as both of these lenses stop at 200mm it all depends on how far you are going to be away from the action, therefore a longer focal length lens would be better, NorthernNikon said, 300mm, 400mm. Have a look on eBay for them.

As I also said though, the 200mm + primes are silly money. If you have silly money though, I'd thoroughly recommend the 200 f:2, which with a 1.4x TC gives you a 280mm f:2.8 or with a 2x TC gives you a 400mm f:4. I'd recommend a 70/80-200 f:2.8 first though, as all sports togs have these in their kit bags.

Back