Beginner Glass Sphere

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my husband bought me a glass sphere and was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips on getting the most out of using it? Haven't had a chance to get out and about with it yet so took this wee shot from my window using my Nikon d3100.
thanks
Catie

Attachments

• DSC_0789 -2.jpg
    DSC_0789 -2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 68
I have never used one, but it is clearly about the image captured with in one. Be it an interesting object or an interesting scene or event.
As this is always "Upside down" you will need to find a convincing way to "hold" the globe that also looks well upside down.
I would be inclined to cart it about with me for a week or so, and look at the world through it for a while.
Don't be afraid to cheat, and rotate the globe and its image in Post Processing, so that the image and background are the same way up, or what ever orientation looks best.

Flickr Search is your friend!

Unless you want a completely clean slate, when starting with new ideas I find it useful to see how others approach things. Search Glass Ball, Orb, Globe, Crystal Ball, etc, and see what comes up, then look at the kind of images you like and try to figure out how they're done, and where you could take the idea.

Have a play, use it close up or at arme length, focus on the ball or beyond it, lots of options depending on the effect your after. Good fun though.

Whatever you try, be careful not to leave it sitting in the sun, or store it where the sun can creep round to it... if it magnifies or focuses the sun's rays onto something then it could potentially start a fire, indoors or out!

I have had one for about one year and taken a few shots. In most cases I have turned the image the right way up in photoshop as I felt it looked better. But a few I left as taken. Only one of my glass sphere images has done reasonably well in competitions and for this I took a photo of the glass sphere in front of my monitor which was showing a suitable scene of mine. I then cut out just the sphere turned it up the right way and inserted back into the original scene file.Severn Bridge at Sunset.jpg

I have had one for about one year and taken a few shots. In most cases I have turned the image the right way up in photoshop as I felt it looked better. But a few I left as taken. Only one of my glass sphere images has done reasonably well in competitions and for this I took a photo of the glass sphere in front of my monitor which was showing a suitable scene of mine. I then cut out just the sphere turned it up the right way and inserted back into the original scene file.View attachment 250828
Thats an amazing shot!!!

Whatever you try, be careful not to leave it sitting in the sun, or store it where the sun can creep round to it... if it magnifies or focuses the sun's rays onto something then it could potentially start a fire, indoors or out!
Yeah, someone else warned me of this. Thanks

Yes - definitely when shooting in sunlight - don't burn anything - including your hand!

Flickr Search is your friend!

Unless you want a completely clean slate, when starting with new ideas I find it useful to see how others approach things. Search Glass Ball, Orb, Globe, Crystal Ball, etc, and see what comes up, then look at the kind of images you like and try to figure out how they're done, and where you could take the idea.
Yeah, starting looking at other images. Looking forward to seeing what i can come up with. Thanks for ur input

Yes you do need something to stop it rolling away. Mine came with a small glass base to support the sphere which is fine. The warning about burning is real as I recall the spot from the sun on my hand at one point. No damage done but the shock could make you drop it so be very care where you use it and the direction of the sun. Good shooting.

Dave

Back