Beginner Glasses

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, last question for a while (I promise lol). I need 2 pairs of glasses for my everyday life, 1 normal pair that I wear all the time, and 1 pair for reading or looking at my watch etc. I need to use my reading glasses when using this finepix s4200 as I cannot see the screen or use the evf with my normal glasses, the question is, will I always need to do this ??. It is just I find carrying 2 pairs of glasses and constantly changing them to be a pain.
ps I have bifocal and varifocal glasses, but cannot use either as they tend to make me wobble. I suffer from vertigo, (no not a fear of hieghts, but a balance problem due to crystals forming in the inner ear) so sudden changes in focus, or sudden movement of my head, especially looking upwards can make me dizzy for a few seconds, like being drunk but doesnt cost as much lol.
cheers Andy.

Last edited:
Hi all, last question for a while (I promise lol). I need 2 pairs of glasses for my everyday life, 1 normal pair that I wear all the time, and 1 pair for reading or looking at my watch etc. I need to use my reading glasses when using this finepix s4200 as I cannot see the screen or use the evf with my normal glasses, the question is, will I always need to do this ??. It is just I find carrying 2 pairs of glasses and constantly changing them to be a pain.
ps I have bifocal and varifocal glasses, but cannot use either as they tend to make me wobble. I suffer from vertigo, (no not a fear of hieghts, but a balance problem due to crystals forming in the inner ear) so sudden changes in focus, or sudden movement of my head, especially looking upwards can make me dizzy for a few seconds, like being drunk but doesnt cost as much lol.
cheers Andy.
Have you tried adjusting the evf diopter ? (assuming it has one of course)

Unless you change to varifocals you'll be stuck with two sets of glasses I'm afraid. :(

I'm in the same situation and I just can't get on with varifocals at all - I've tried a couple of times, so it's two pair for me too. :headbang:

Sorry my bad, should have asked if I will still need 2 pairs of glasses, even if I get another camera? looking at M4/3 for size/weight.

I would need reading glasses to see screen properly but in viewfinder adjusting the diopter wheel on it means I am fine without.
I don't know how far that adjustment goes.

I would need reading glasses to see screen properly but in viewfinder adjusting the diopter wheel on it means I am fine without.
I don't know how far that adjustment goes.
Adjustment is plus 3 and minus 4 on a Panasonic G9 (M4/3)
I'm fine with the evf when it gets about 2.0 positive adjustment, for the LCD its back on with the specs.

On the M43 Panasonics, all the settings are displayed in the viewfinder, so I adjust mine to be clear without glasses, then it doesn't matter which pair I am wearing, I just take them off.

I wear two pairs. My reg glass's hurt my eye's reading the computer, tires them out really bad. My reg glass's have the reading part built into the bottom of them, wworks good reading the newspaper but not so hot on the computer. My computer glass's stay next to the computer. Ask whoever made your glass's and they can make you a set with the reading part in them and a second set just for the computer.

I usually wear contact lenses and keep my cameras' dioptre adjusters adjusted to suit. However, if I need to delve into a menu, I slip on a pair of reading glasses (to suit my contact corrected vision). I found THESE (other suppliers and dioptres available) which can be clipped onto an camera strap mount or (as I do) mobile phone. If I'm not wearing my contacts, I tend to have bifocal specs on but MUCH prefer to use the cameras' dioptre adjusters for VF use (without specs on) and the reading bit of the bifocals for menu use.

Same Situation here distance and reading glasses . .. I use my normal distance glasses for photography ( I have used canon/ Nikon and now olympus .. ) you will need your distance specs to see your targets so you then need to adjust the diopter on the EVF to suit your prescription .. there is far better diopter adjustment on cameras these days to do this .basically all you need to do is look through the viewfinder till the writing along the bottom edge becomes clear and precise I.E f stop number ,iso, etc.. I suspect your current problems are more to do with the camera your using than your eyesight

Last edited:
When adjusting the diopter I usually call up the menu look through viewfinder and change accordingly

I’m a varifocal user, but I generally use the viewfinder without specs.

However, I sometimes need my specs nowadays for other bits of camera operation.

I understand that varifocals do not suit everyone. I have them and have no problem but my prescription adjustment is relatively small.

I can used my viewfinder with my varifocals or without specs. The viewfinder image is set to appear about 10 inches away so you may need to use reading glasses or nothing,

Dave

Have you tried without specs? I do but my prescription is small.

I have varifocals and had similar issues to you when I first tried. I gave up at first but tried again and I eventually got used to them. They are expensive but I found that the higher quality varifocals are much better, however I don't have inner ear issues.

Understand that there are two fundemental distances that optometrists can correct your vision to work, with bi-focals...Distance, and holding a book/newspaper for reading without stretching your arms out all the time.
Camera viewfinders are generally designed for an 'intermediate reading' with a virtual distance of 30" to 1m, depending upon brand.l That distance is generally 'in between' Distance vision and 'reading' distance. In theory the intermediate strength in trifocals would work for camera viewfinders. However, some folks might not be accustomed to looking thru the interemediate strength part to the trifocal lens.
The viewfinder diopter can work if the intermediate strength is < the difference {Distrance - Reading] diopter strengths...I am still fortunate that my right eye (corrected with contact lens to Distant) can still utililize the dial driver diopter value of the eyepiece to allow me to focus my right eye to the 30" - 1m virtual distance of the viewfinder.

What you might find necessary is to ask your optometrist to set your 'intermediate reading distance' with a dedicated pair of glasses set for that, and perhaps supplment with inexpensive 'reader' strength clip-on for when you are reading a novel at closer distances than viewfinder virtual distance.

Last edited:
Understand that there are two fundemental distances that optometrists can correct your vision to work, with bi-focals...Distance, and holding a book/newspaper for reading without stretching your arms out all the time.
I have varifocals that allow me to work close (phone /book reading), at arms length for VDU use (indeed employers in the U.K. prob all of Europe are legally bound to provide this prescription for office workers) and distance.

Old fashioned Bifocals would be totally impractical and require me to need ‘work glasses’ in fact just thinking, I reckon the dashboard on my car probably uses the same prescription I use for ‘work’

Have you tried adjusting the evf diopter ? (assuming it has one of course)
Most cameras allow the viewfinder diopter to be adjusted so that your distance vision is used despite the viewfinder being close.
I used to have to wear my glasses to correct for a severe astigmatism (something cameras don't adjust for). Since getting my eyes upgraded I can work just with the correction on most of my cameras - the 5x4 doesn't have this option, but it normally wants a magnifier anyway :)

Back