Glen Brittle, Isle of Skye

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Found this place down Glen Brittle on my resent holiday to Skye. It was quite a crappy morning weather wise but the light was changing rapidly so it was a challenge to try and get things like the exposure right, one minute it was dull as the mist rolled over the Cullins and the next there was a blast of light piercing through highlighting the mountainside.
So with in mind I put in Cokin P164 polarizer to take any reflection of light off the water and a strong Cokin P121ND8 grad to cope with strong light when it did appear through the mist. With this set up I sat waiting for the light to appear that I would be happy with and show what an awesome place this can be be in the right light and hopefully the result here shows this to you.

40D, 17-40mm, FL 17mm, EP Manual, Tv 1/6, Av f/16, ISO 100, RAW, Manual Focus, MM Pattern, WB Cloudy, Manfrotto 055 ProB, Manfrotto 488 Ball Head, 2 Second Time Delay, MLU, Hot Shoe Level, Cokin P164, 121, Time-July 8.48am.

C&C welcome.

Glen_Brittle_3.jpg

This is a cracking shot, it just seems to have abit of everything.

Awesome location.

Stunning, almost 3D. It's got everything you could want in a landscape, one of the best I've seen in a long time. Thanks. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Andy

That is a wonderful shot of a beautiful part of our country. Superb(y)(y)

great pic,the mist has been down every time ive been there,no midges i hope

This might just be one of the best photo's I've ever seen!!!

Loving the water and that cool blue colouring, really fantastic landscape indeed.

Thanks for sharing

Gonna agree with all the comments and say that this a belter of a photo that will pay you dividends for years to come. You approached it rationally and worked to get it right in camera. The results of your efforts are there for all to see. :clap:

That a cracking shot. Brilliant. :clap:

Fabulous. Sort of thing that I aspire to myself and as yet am completely unable to achieve. Well done. :clap:

Stunning.

Atmosheric.

Jealous....:LOL:

I can't add any more to what has already been said.

:clap: :clap:

That really is a sensation. I have been wondering all day how much PP is invovled in getting an image to look this good. Obviously it is technically excellent and would look fab straight of the card but the exposure blending (??) of the rocks and water make it dazzle

If I return from my September trip to Skye with an image like that I would be well chuffed...........but I won't:(

Nice work! Well worth the wait to get it. I've been there and never got anything this good. Superb mood with the clouds, and the colour of the water & stream bed are just great. The shaft of sunlight does look a tad dodged though, but hey - who cares!

You don't need me to tell you how good this is Alex.

Captures the drama of the highlands perfectly.

Where was this at Glen Brittle? I've never really ventured further than the beach down there!

Awesome shot, well thought out and executed, the moodiness of the clouds for me are better than blue sky.

Like everyone else said... STUNNING... its what myself and probably everyone else aspire to.take the ultimate shot well done

Thanks folks, I really appreciate ALL the feedback that I get.

For those who want to know the location click here.

Also here is a run down on how I processed the single image from start to finish.

Processing.jpg

The first one is straight out of the camera with no editing at all.

The second is how it looks after doing adjustments in C1 to the RAW file.
Exposure: Corrected by 0.34
Saturation: 28
Highlights: 50
Levels: Black Slider moves to 5
Curves: Auto setting for Mid-Tones Darker
Converted to 16bit Tiff

Finally in CS3
A levels layer applied to both the sky and FG separately, likely making a slight 'S' shape
Color Balance, shadows, mid tones and highlights
Dodged the rocks in the MG at 3%
Burned the mountains in the BG a little, again at 3%
Cloned over the blown highlights in the sky at about 5%

Looks quite a lot when it's written down, but it was lucky if it took 5mins from start to finish :0)

HTH

Back